Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    brazilian10 is offline Associate Member

Want a diet plan to help me build LEAN mass and burn body fat %

I'm 20 yo male currently 5'11 165 lbs 13% bf and a couple months ago I was eating six times a day which easily made me go up to 190 lbs 16-18% bf in three months. I would lift Heavy heavy weights, work out 4-5x a week, eat tons (every two hours). My daily diet would consist of drinking 2 times whey body fortress protein (In in the AM and the one after I finished worked out) and I would also eat 2 protein bars (Pure protein bars) daily. I would also include 1/2 cups of oats in the AM, 4 Tabespoons of peanut butter throughout the day, as well as raisin bread, and 1 can of tuna, and 4 egg whites, cottage cheese at night. (I pretty much followed Scott Herman's diet plan)..would eat chicken breast and veggies whenever I could which usually was once every other day. I also neglected cardio, so maybe thats why I ended up gaining so much fat. My goal is not to be bulky but to build LEAN mass while shredding fat, I still can hardly see my abs even after I dropped 25 lbs. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? I went on the scott herman diet thinking I would gain lean non bulky mass and drop my bf but it was the opposite, I became huge and soft and my waist got big, and my gained ugly chest and belly fat. I've even got called out by sooo many people that I was getting fat. I now know that diet and cardio are key components on burning fat and building lean mass..so what type of diet should I eat? how many calories should I consume if my goal is to have a body like these guys..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	936full-milo-and-elijah-peters-682x1024.jpg 
Views:	6258 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	123933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twins.jpg 
Views:	11523 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	123934 (there stats are 5'11 180 lbs btw). I now swim three times a week for an hour and a half, lift weights 3x a week (high reps, low weight *16 reps to be exact so that I can build Lean muscle) I'm traumatized of gaining weight again because I DO NOT want to the the fat soft flabby guy I was at 190 lbs. What I don't get is that My buddy and I pretty much went on the same diet and he gained some lean mass while keeping his bf % low, while mine got super high. Its frustrating and I'm willing to do anything to have a body like the twins. Help please.....

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    You want o look like those gay boy's? LOL

Anyway ppl have different body types. Sounds like you are an endo. Those guy's are ecto. They can probably eat like horses and not put on any weight.

How many carbs are you eating? Sounds like you need to lower your carb's and add in some cardio. 45 minutes before breakfast would be ideal. (running, sprinting, swimming,) switch it up. Lift 4x a week doesn't have to be high rep's. Try that for a while you should be able to drop your fat and reveal your muscle you added.

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    And don't stop lifting heavy. You won't "tone" your muscles by lifting lighter. That is a bunch of BS. Lift as heavy as you can for 8-12 rep's.

i don't know exactly how many carbs I was eating but it was a lot with the protein bars, and raisin bread. Why should I do cardio in the morning? I actually work from 11 pm to 7am so my schedule is completely off..so AM would actually be around 3-4 pm. I've read in a couple threads that drinking a protein shake or any type of carb is key for a good cardio workout...And you guys are actually right, I've done some research recently and there's no such thing as "tone" so I'll still lift heavy (8-12 reps) And you're right Brohim I just realized I am indeed an endomorph which sucks.. One thing I don't know is how many calories should I be eating to put on lean mass like the twins and have ripped abs (lower bf%)..Anyone know a good diet plan for an endomorph/a good diet plan for me..? please
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-19-2012 at 09:06 PM.

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    protein bars are not a good choice of food... most of them have 20g+ of sugar

and as an endomorph the only thing different would probably be you can't handle dairy/simple carbs as well as others,also need to be more strict on the cardio

yeah man, definitely have to watch my carb intake, and go hard on cardio. Would you possibly know how many calories should i consume a day for building lean mass and lower bf? Any good diet plans?.........Anyone?

Aaryan is offline Associate Member
    Welcome aboard. Check out the Nutrition Resource Forum for great info on bulking/cutting/gaining lean muscle. Good luck

I actually came across this sample cutting diet, can someone help me tailor it for me (5'11 165 lbs. 14% bf)
    Sample Diet:
    Note: This is a sample diet for a 200 pound gentleman who is wishing to cut. We can assume his BF to be around 15%. This diet will NOT work for you if those criteria don’t apply to you; however it is easy to customize the below diet to take in account your own statistics. It is the principles that are applicable.. I am not going to post the total amount of calories, only the carb, protein and fat macros for the whole day.

Meal 1:
    Lean Protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal Would a can of tuna be enough for the lean protein?

Meal 2:
    Protein shake/Lean Protein (2 tbsp flax)

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein ......What lean protein would u suggest?

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition...I know PWO stands for "postworkout nutrition" but any good meal ideas for this?

Meal 5:
    Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal.

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat.

and whats the approximate amount of calories should I be eating/and are in this diet?
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    brazilian welcome man..

read stickies:
    1. dieting 101: cutting
    2. tdee
    3. how to bulk

ur not gonna really be able to burn fat and add muscle at the same time.. typically both need 2 opposite environments to occur..

cutting = burning fat = caloric deficit

bulking = gaining muscle (and fat usually) = caloric surplus

u say u dont understand what ur doing wrong.. chances are the main thing ur doing wrong is ur DIET!

ONCE U READ THE stickies i suggested post up what u think is ur TDEE and we can go from there.. we will get u on track as long as u take the recommendations given and do what we tell u to do

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brazilian10 View Post
    I actually came across this sample cutting diet, can someone help me tailor it for me (5'11 165 lbs. 14% bf)
    Sample Diet:
    Note: This is a sample diet for a 200 pound gentleman who is wishing to cut. We can assume his BF to be around 15%. This diet will NOT work for you if those criteria don’t apply to you; however it is easy to customize the below diet to take in account your own statistics. It is the principles that are applicable.. I am not going to post the total amount of calories, only the carb, protein and fat macros for the whole day.

Meal 1:
    Lean Protein, 1/2 cup oatmeal Would a can of tuna be enough for the lean protein?

Meal 2:
    Protein shake/Lean Protein (2 tbsp flax)

Meal 3:
    Veggies, Lean Protein ......What lean protein would u suggest?

Workout

Meal 4:
    PWO Nutrition...I know PWO stands for "postworkout nutrition" but any good meal ideas for this?

Meal 5:
    Veggies, Lean Protein, 1/2 cup rice or oatmeal.

Meal 6:
    Shake with Flax

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, 130 grams Carbs, and 50 grams of fat.

and whats the approximate amount of calories should I be eating/and are in this diet?
    As mentioned by 405 read all the stickys he suggested. After that you will understand what lean protein means (chicken brest, ground beed, ground turkey, egg whites, beef steaks, etc) PWo could be composed of either a meal or both meal and pro shake. Customize that diet with foods you like and can eat easily, calorie intake depends on your tdee. So do a little reading and when your done customize the diet to fit you and post it her so everyone can give you tips and opinions.

Thanks guys, 405 I read all three stickies and man I learned A LOT. I ended up finding out that my BMR is 1855.308 and my TDEE is 2875.73. So if I'm at 5'11 and around 163 lbs and with an estimate of 13-14% bf would you guys suggest to focus on bulking or cutting?? (if i'm aiming to have a body like the twins) there stats are 5'11 175-180 lbs w an estimated fat of 8%). I was thinking of cutting first bc I still have some softness around my core. I'm starting to do cardio first thing in the AM everyday (I don't consume any carbs, but take a protein shake and black coffee) and I'm seeing fast results! what i'm still confused and having trouble is setting/organizing my diet. I've read read that meals should be protein/carb...protein/fat to help aid fat loss. Anyways, 405 or anyone have any good diet plan?

Here's a couple of recent pics of my body if that helps....can someone please guesstimate my bf%??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	123950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	18912 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	123952
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.

paul606 is offline Junior Member
    around 17%

Dang i need to lower my bf %...wow 17% is soo high -_-' I think I should stick to cutting bc I def don't want to look like a ball of fat...I don't understand why its so hard for my body to get rid of core fat with the tons of swimming I do. I was never been able to see my abs even at my lowest of 150 lbs. Is swimming even a good cardio workout?? I feel lighter after I run..
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-21-2012 at 01:30 AM.

I was 30% mate and cut down to 12%.

Eat 500cal below maintenance, do 45 minutes low intensity cardio after your workouts and do 60 minutes fasted cardio on your days off lifting. Try to lift in the morning aswell, that way you can base carbs in your pre workout, post workout shake and post workout meal only.

Don't do zero carbs, yes you will loose weight quick but it will be put back on twice as quick when you resume a normal healthy diet. You're much better off having complex carbs (oats, brown rice etc.) around your workouts but not after lunch. You don't need to do zero carbs to cut

Thanks paul, could you clarify why its better to lift on the AM? I thought I needed carbs b4 weight training, plus I'm starting to run/sprint for 15-20 min in the AM on an empty stomach, or should i drink a protein shake b4?? And congrats on lowering your bf paul! How long did it take you to go from 30% to 12%?
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-21-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Well what worked best for me was only eating carbs in the morning through to lunch and then fat/protein the rest of the day.

So i'd have my first meal at 5am, complex carbs and protein. An hour later at 6am i would lift followed by 45 minutes low intensity cardio. After my cardio i would have more complex carbs and my protein shake, then an hour or 2 after the shake i would have a solid meal with again complex carbs and protein. That would be my carb intake for the day, so from around 12-1pm onwards i would only have fat, protein and fiberous carbs (veggies).

I found slow cardio after lifting to be as beneficial as cardio on an empty stomach, plus who wants to go to the gym twice a day lol. Keep fasted cardio for your days off lifting.

Took me around 12 months to drop the pounds but i wasn't very strict and i did some things i regret like zero carbs (keto) which is why i like to help others from my mistakes.

Could I wake up, take a protein shake wait 45 mins then run and do hiit cardio for 15 mins everyday?..instead of doing low intensity cardio, cause I heard from various sources that hiit is better for fat loss. Also should I take a protein shake before AM cardio or should I run on an empty stomach?

You need to lift weights buddy, lifting weights not only builds muscle to give you a more aesthethic physique, but it also burns calories which aids fat loss; you hit 2 birds with 1 stone when you lift.

You would not get the same physique as the guys you posted above without lifting, even if you were less than 10% bodyfat
    Last edited by paul606; 06-21-2012 at 06:02 AM.

As to hiit vs liss (low intensity steady state), you will burn more calories doing hiit although majority of those calories will come from carbs, or if no carbs are readily available then you body will burn muscle for fuel. Liss on the other hand uses stored fat for the majority of fuel.

You could be less than 10% bodyfat but not have much muscle and it wouldn't look anywhere near as aesthetic as someone with muscle at 12-13%.

And if your diet is good, there is no need to do cardio what so ever to cut

Quote Originally Posted by paul606 View Post
    As to hiit vs liss (low intensity steady state), you will burn more calories doing hiit although majority of those calories will come from carbs, or if no carbs are readily available then you body will burn muscle for fuel. Liss on the other hand uses stored fat for the majority of fuel.

You could be less than 10% bodyfat but not have much muscle and it wouldn't look anywhere near as aesthetic as someone with muscle at 12-13%.
    Paul i agree with u in terms of keto.. But not for the reason u give.. When u go back to a diet including carbs if u do it correctly theres no reason u have to gain back weight..

Also ur body will not use muscle from doing hiit unless it has to.. First itll use carbs. Then muscle glycogen. Then bodyfat. Muscle is the last resort. At his bf muscle being consumed for energy is not an issue.

Brazil: do fasted cardio in the am (no protein shake, no anything except maybe some bcaas).. Do hiit in the am fasted if u want to a couple days per week u will be fine..

When i get to computer ill give a better response!

Thanks 405..I'll def start taking BCAAS in the morning before cardio. How many times a week should I lift? And any good diet plans is my TDEE is 2875.73, because you said to cut I needed to be in a caloric deficit of -500 I'd have to consume around 2375 correct. 405 can someone PLEASE help me put together a diet plan..it'll be greatly appreciated. This time O don't want to make the mistake of going into a caloric surplus and taking too much carbs like I did b4 which caused me to get fat..I wanna be precise this time!

at 165lbs @15-17% bf ur tdee (i get) @2650cals

if i were u id cut at 1900cals and see how u go.. i ran a deficit of 950cals from same formula but my tdee was 3100 so i still got to eat 2150cals.. 1900 will give u a 750cal deficit.. this is def not too high of a deficit to run IMO based on my experience with this formula.. for strait low carb i did very well with 60/20/20 pro/carb/fat. keeping carbs at or below 20% total cals will prime u for burning fat..

60/20/20
    1900cals
    285g pro
    95g carbs
    42g fat

to give u comparison with the tdee formula i weigh 192 @10-12%bf and cut at 2200cals.. <--- should point out the obvious to u

in the beginning i counted all carbs but now i dont count veggies.. with 95g carbs u may do either of ur choosing.. depending how fast u want results and how dedicated u are.. 95g carbs 7days per week counting veggies will not give u much starch.. i think i got (with 100g) 1/4 cup oats twice per day and 4oz sweet potato + veggies and thats it! either way u will wanna refeed every 14days around 250g carbs (coming from complex starchy sources). once u get down to 12% (ish) and/or ur progress slows u may then wanna consider cycling ur carbs..

also: GET UR BF CHEKD PROFESSIONALLY PRONTO!

Ok, will check my bf ASAP 405..I've found this 1900 calories diet on bodybuilding forum. Should I go ahead and do it?

500 AM Wake and do morning cardio

545 AM Breakfast: 1 cup oats,banana and 1 scoop whey(20 g)

700 AM weight lifting

845 AM PWM: 2 scoop whey (40 g)

Snack: 4 egg whites,carrots

Lunch: 2 cans of Tuna on whole wheat

Dinner: Chicken breast, greens and vinaigrette dressing.

Is this meal actually 1900 calories? Should I modify it or leave it how it is??

Do u have to lift at 0700? If so id prob put the cardio after the lift..

On my phone again so have to keep it short..

1. Id drop the banana and add oats or sweet potato or brn rice PWO. ( personal pref id have real food in meal 1 for protein; eggwhite omelette 1egg, 5-6 whites)

2. Id swap the carrots for green veggie

3. Replace bread with one of the 3 carb choices mentioned in # 1

4. Be sure to total macros for ur entire day as well as cals
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 06-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks for the advice 405, I'm still confused on the AM cardio, shouldn't it be better to do cardio on empty stomach first thing in the AM to maximize fat loss? Wouldn't that be better instead of doing cardio right after lifting, plus I barely have any energy left after lifting, do I have a lot to lose if I do this? And would the diet be decent after I switch with the foods you told me to replace? Is it 60p/20c/20f? Note I see a lot of carbs and barely no fat, or am I wrong?

PWO cardio is a similar state to am fasted which is why its recommended.. Its why u have no energy like u said

If ur fat macros dont = 20% u can supplement with nuts, natty pb, fish oil, etc..

If u wanna do am fasted cardio knock urself out but id have a few hrs between it and lifting as well as a meal..

PWO cardio is a similar state to am fasted which is why its recommended. Its why u have no energy like u said...that makes sense, ill actually give it a try. How long should my cardio be? and what intensity? Also like paul said what worked best for me was only eating carbs in the morning through to lunch and then fat/protein the rest of the day...I definitely want to try what Paul suggested, PAUL could you please post your diet, or a quick example of it........?

500 AM Protein, complex carb...so would 5 egg whites and 1/2 cup of oats be good?

600 AM lifting and cardio ( like Paul does )

745 AM *after workout/PWO nutrition* Protein, complex carb...would 1 slice of wheat bread and 2 scoops of whey (40g) be good to cover this meal?

1000 AM More protein, complex carbs...2 cans of tuna with a tbsp of mayo and 1 slice of wheat bread be good?

------------------Carb intake ends for the day------------------------------------------------------------

0100 PM (lunch)Protein, fat, veggies....chicken breast, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and a cup of mixed veggies good?

How many more meals would you eat after lunch? And what do they consist of?? Hope hearing from you man
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-22-2012 at 12:14 AM.

This is what my cutting diet looked like:

DIET - protein/carbs/fat/calories
    05:00 - 60g oats 8/32/6/228, 7 egg whites + 1 whole egg 35/2/5/189 | [43/34/11/414]
    06:00 - 60 mins weights + 45 mins cardio
    08:00 - whey shake 48/4/2/220, 60g oats 8/32/6/228 | [56/36/8/448]
    11.00 - 150g chicken breast 44/0/0/292, 125g brown rice 3/30/1/140 | [47/30/1/432]
    14:00 - 140g tuna 35/0/13/258, whey shake 12/1/0/55 | [47/1/13/313]
    17:00 - 200g kangaroo 42/2/2/193 + salad | [42/2/2/193]
    20:00 - casein shake [48/3/2/220]

Total - 283/106/37/2020

Thanks so much bro, I appreciate it. How long were you on the cutting diet? And is casein protein necessary? Can i replace it with cottage cheese? kangaroo!? Lmfao, are you Aussie mate XD never had it actually, how does it taste?
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-22-2012 at 04:20 AM.

i was on and off it for 6 months, changing it around here and there. cottage cheese is fine. kangaroo is the best source of red meat available, very low fat, high protein and iron. it's a more delicate flavor compared to beef, it best cooked rare/medium rare. yes im aussie

Cool mate XD I don't think it'll be easy to find kangaroo meat here in Florida lol. I'll have to replace it with ground beef or turkey? How many times a week did you lift while on this diet? And would you still follow the diet on non lifting/cardio days? and what about rest days?

PWO cardio is a similar state to am fasted which is why its recommended. Its why u have no energy like u said...that makes sense, ill actually give it a try. How long should my cardio be? and what intensity? Also like paul said what worked best for me was only eating carbs in the morning through to lunch and then fat/protein the rest of the day...I definitely want to try what Paul suggested, PAUL could you please post your diet, or a quick example of it........?

500 AM Protein, complex carb...so would 5 egg whites and 1/2 cup of oats be good? sounds good just hit total daily macros

600 AM lifting and cardio ( like Paul does )

745 AM *after workout/PWO nutrition* Protein, complex carb...would 1 slice of wheat bread and 2 scoops of whey (40g) be good to cover this meal?
    id have oats or sweet potato or brn rice and not bread (esp everyday) while cutting
    1000 AM More protein, complex carbs...2 cans of tuna with a tbsp of mayo and 1 slice of wheat bread be good? no bread IMO, i wouldnt eat mayo either.. if u have to have mayo to have tuna maybe find a difft protein source

------------------Carb intake ends for the day------------------------------------------------------------

0100 PM (lunch)Protein, fat, veggies....chicken breast, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and a cup of mixed veggies good?

How many more meals would you eat after lunch? And what do they consist of?? Hope hearing from you man
    how many meals depends on total allowable cals plus how many u already have listed... id have meat and veggies after pwo for the rest of the day... except before bed have meat/protein and fat (if necessary).. id move the evoo around if i were u.. chances r u wont need too much of it.. for fat when cutting i like natty PB.. have it with lowfat cottage cheese before bed .. like 1cup cott cheese and 32g PB (2tbs)

Quote Originally Posted by paul606 View Post
    This is what my cutting diet looked like:

DIET - protein/carbs/fat/calories
    05:00 - 60g oats 8/32/6/228, 7 egg whites + 1 whole egg 35/2/5/189 | [43/34/11/414]
    06:00 - 60 mins weights + 45 mins cardio
    08:00 - whey shake 48/4/2/220, 60g oats 8/32/6/228 | [56/36/8/448]
    11.00 - 150g chicken breast 44/0/0/292, 125g brown rice 3/30/1/140 | [47/30/1/432]
    14:00 - 140g tuna 35/0/13/258, whey shake 12/1/0/55 | [47/1/13/313]
    17:00 - 200g kangaroo 42/2/2/193 + salad | [42/2/2/193]
    20:00 - casein shake [48/3/2/220]

Total - 283/106/37/2020
    paul that diet looks pretty good man! personally i like meat vs shake esp when cutting and food intake is limited

Cool mate XD I don't think it'll be easy to find kangaroo meat here in Florida lol. I'll have to replace it with ground beef or turkey? How many times a week did you lift while on this diet? And would you still follow the diet on non lifting/cardio days? and what about rest days?
    95/5 ground beef or lean steak will do fine. I lift 4 days, mon, tue, thu and fri and did an hours fasted cardio on my rest days except for sunday which was a total rest day. On the fasted cardio non lifting days i would skip the first meal And train completely fasted then just continue from meal 2.

Thanks guys, btw Paul how does your workout routine look like man? I know you lift 4x a week but what body parts on what days do you workout? Doing p90x but I got tired of it bc it's getting to repetitive so I wanna switch it up a bit..can you show me a quick overview of your workout routine. Hope to hear from you soon man.
    Last edited by brazilian10; 06-26-2012 at 06:43 AM.

I'll post some pics of myself after 2 weeks on this diet

I always lift hard and heavy, 4x8-12 reps for most exercises.

mon - chest/bi's
    tue - legs/core
    thu - back/tri's
    fri - shoulders

focus mainly on main compound exercises eg. bench press, squats, seated rows etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information