sam.j is offline Banned

Drinking alot of milk for gain ?

Doing my research and coming across that milk is soo good for gaining ! I drink milk on a daiy basis but if I start drinking up to a gallon a day (or is that too much ?) of milk I will start gaining loads ? CAN SOMEONE HELP WITH THIS BECAUSE I ****ING LOVE MILK

JohnnnyBlazzze is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There's a TON of sugar in milk, when I'm trying to cut and loose weight I stay away from it. Even when bulking I only have a little.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    I forgot where I read it but a read an article for hardgainers where drinking a gallon of milk a day for the extreme hardgainers to put on mass, I would think if you workout hard and keep your cardio up it would be ok, but if you start adding more bf than muscle mass than I would stop. It's really trial and error. If it works fine if not stop. Everybody is different, I have read where regular food is better than protein shakes for adding mass, I don't agree at least for me, when I went back in gym after 3 years I had gained a lot fat, well I started dieting using only shakes, 5 a day during week And ate whatever on weekend, I lost over 50 lbs of bf and added quite a bit of muscle. So different strokes for different folks. Trial and error.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I avoid milk except when in my coffee. It makes me gassy and like johnny says lots of sugar.

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    When I first started weight tanning (back in High School) I drank 4 Litres (..one gallon) of milk each day. It seemed to work well for me at the time, but I don't think I do it again... just like everyone else mentioned, just too much sugar.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The go mad diet works, 1 galleon a day. i went from 175lbs to 218 in 3 months . If you have a hard time with any weight , fat or muscle its a good way to go. At least it was for me, but to many people will just say its shit.

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mockery
    The go mad diet works, 1 galleon a day. i went from 175lbs to 218 in 3 months . If you have a hard time with any weight , fat or muscle its a good way to go. At least it was for me, but to many people will just say its shit.
    If I drink 1 gallon a day and then do cardio won't I just burn it all off again ???? And what do you mean to much sugar ? In the milk ?

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scabtree
    When I first started weight tanning (back in High School) I drank 4 Litres (..one gallon) of milk each day. It seemed to work well for me at the time, but I don't think I do it again... just like everyone else mentioned, just too much sugar.
    If I drink 1 gallon a day and then do cardio won't I just burn it all off again ???? And what do you mean to much sugar ? In the milk ?

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985
    I forgot where I read it but a read an article for hardgainers where drinking a gallon of milk a day for the extreme hardgainers to put on mass, I would think if you workout hard and keep your cardio up it would be ok, but if you start adding more bf than muscle mass than I would stop. It's really trial and error. If it works fine if not stop. Everybody is different, I have read where regular food is better than protein shakes for adding mass, I don't agree at least for me, when I went back in gym after 3 years I had gained a lot fat, well I started dieting using only shakes, 5 a day during week And ate whatever on weekend, I lost over 50 lbs of bf and added quite a bit of muscle. So different strokes for different folks. Trial and error.

digsy1983 is offline Member

Yeah milk is high in sugar! All the carbohydrate in milk is vastly from the sugar. I only have it in my coffee an its the skimmed version and that still has 4.9gsugar per 100ml. I'm currently cutting but planning on bulking soon and ill still be limiting the amount of skimmed milk to a minimum. Skimmed milk is 0.1% fat. I'm sure there's an argument for the calcium content of milk is over rated as the human body cannot process it that well. any body know about that???

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983

Yeah milk is high in sugar! All the carbohydrate in milk is vastly from the sugar. I only have it in my coffee an its the skimmed version and that still has 4.9gsugar per 100ml. I'm currently cutting but planning on bulking soon and ill still be limiting the amount of skimmed milk to a minimum. Skimmed milk is 0.1% fat. I'm sure there's an argument for the calcium content of milk is over rated as the human body cannot process it that well. any body know about that???
    Yeah but whats so bad about sugar ? I will just burn it doing cardio won't i ?????

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sam.j View Post
    Yeah but whats so bad about sugar ? I will just burn it doing cardio won't i ?????
    1 gallon of skim milk = 1376cals, 128g pro, 192g sugar

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---

1 gallon of skim milk = 1376cals, 128g pro, 192g sugar
    Yeah iknow but what's the big deal about the sugar ???? Why's it gonna harm me ???????

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sam.j

Yeah iknow but what's the big deal about the sugar ???? Why's it gonna harm me ???????
    Sugar = insulin spike = fat storage.

sam.j is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle

Sugar = insulin spike = fat storage.
    Yeah then I will just do cardio to burn the 'fat storage' cant I ??? Wont that be ok then ?!?!?!?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah then I will just do cardio to burn the 'fat storage' cant I ??? Wont that be ok then ?!?!?!?
    one thing about sugar is when it increases ur blood glucose levels ur body has to produce insulin to regulate. when insulin is present ur body becomes unable to mobilize fat into the blood for oxidation.

out of curiosity what is it about milk that u think is so "magical" that its gonna cause u to gain muscle that u cant get from other food with less sugar? (id also like to note i love milk and did not like giving it up)

we gain weight (hopefully muscle) when we ingest more cals than we burn. if ur ingesting 1300surplus cals from milk every day and then doing cardio to burn the 1300cals off what good is that?

Blog Entries
    For me.. i was stuck at a weight that my body when i was younger would not go over, i ate and i ate and i ate more, clean and alot of shit... Our bodies will fight to stay a serten weight for our height and body type. The gomad diet helped me break this curse. Yes indeed it made me fat... but its still allowed me to grow and start growing. I knew at the time i would become fat, the simple fact that i starting adding fat was great.

would i do it again?

yes

this time around i would still stick to the 2% milk and just make sure this time around my diet was on par for the course, clean clean clean, and i wold adjust my carbs in accordance to the sugars i was taking in. So that my micros were spot on.

digsy1983 is offline Member
    If you factor milk into your diet and are happy with the gains and also the massive amount of cardio you will have to do to burn the sugar from the milk off then by all means go for it. But I think the vast point of what people are trying to make is for the calorie content + sugar amount milk is a low return product , there's a load of other food that would be far superior in quality and nutrition value. If it works for you and you're happy doing it then go for it, but far too much sugar for me to burn doing cardio that I would be storing most as fat.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Wrong. Your body will burn carbs and stored energy (glycogen) FIRST. Insulin is a hormone that causes most of the body’s cells to take up glucose from the blood (including liver, muscle, and fat tissue cells), storing it as glycogen in the liver and muscle, and stops use of fat as an energy source. When insulin is absent (or low), glucose is not taken up by most body cells and the body begins to use fat as an energy source. It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you consume anything that significantly raises your insulin levels (e.g. milk or foods high on the glycemic index) your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and you workout like crazy.

I stopped drinking milk a long time ago. Most of the gains you would see from consuming large quantities of milk would be fat-based and not actual lean body mass gains, IMO.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    one thing about sugar is when it increases ur blood glucose levels ur body has to produce insulin to regulate. when insulin is present ur body becomes unable to mobilize fat into the blood for oxidation.

out of curiosity what is it about milk that u think is so "magical" that its gonna cause u to gain muscle that u cant get from other food with less sugar? (id also like to note i love milk and did not like giving it up)

we gain weight (hopefully muscle) when we ingest more cals than we burn. if ur ingesting 1300surplus cals from milk every day and then doing cardio to burn the 1300cals off what good is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Wrong. Your body will burn carbs and stored energy (glycogen) FIRST. Insulin is a hormone that causes most of the body’s cells to take up glucose from the blood (including liver, muscle, and fat tissue cells), storing it as glycogen in the liver and muscle, and stops use of fat as an energy source. When insulin is absent (or low), glucose is not taken up by most body cells and the body begins to use fat as an energy source. It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you consume anything that significantly raises your insulin levels (e.g. milk or foods high on the glycemic index) your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and you workout like crazy.

I stopped drinking milk a long time ago. Most of the gains you would see from consuming large quantities of milk would be fat-based and not actual lean body mass gains, IMO.
    nothing more to be said. They are both correct.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

gymsoldier is offline Associate Member
    But milk only has a GI of 30±3, so it shouldn't effect insulin that much? (*more of a question rather than a statement)

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post

That's really good info MuscleInk;

hsvcraig is offline Associate Member
    Muscleink, would insulin spikes affect muscle growth???

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gymsoldier
    But milk only has a GI of 30±3, so it shouldn't effect insulin that much? (*more of a question rather than a statement)
    hmmmm didnt know this but interested in the answer aswell ive still alot to learn in the finer points of nutrition such as areas like this

anybody out there? lol

sam.j is offline Banned
    Thanks for the help guys :-)

itsn8o is offline New Member
    I did GOMAD, but found that it was better to get my cals from chicken breast, brown rice, almonds etc

gymsoldier is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    hmmmm didnt know this but interested in the answer aswell ive still alot to learn in the finer points of nutrition such as areas like this

anybody out there? lol
    I've looked a little further into this, and some sites suggest different GI's for milk (full fat) based on the country of origin.

EDIT: While still remanding in the Low GI category.
    Last edited by gymsoldier; 08-14-2012 at 03:25 AM.

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Hey I'm bumping an old thread because I don't want to start a new one to have this same discussion. Here's what I want to know about this "gomad" diet.

Suppose I'm bulking and have financial barriers. To my calculation, there is 144g protein per 4L of milk. I choose partly skimmed (1%) so cals from fat a fairly low. Sugars are still high, but for $5 or less I can have 144g protein...that's cheap and easy to consume... If I were to space out the milk intake(500ml 8 times per day) how long would the insulin spike be present??

Also would one develop a tolerance to the sugars? Maybe over a span of 12 weeks, the protein benefit would be okay and the fat increase would be minimal??

Learning, not teaching... Please feed my brain

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by >Good Luck<
    Hey I'm bumping an old thread because I don't want to start a new one to have this same discussion. Here's what I want to know about this "gomad" diet.

Suppose I'm bulking and have financial barriers. To my calculation, there is 144g protein per 4L of milk. I choose partly skimmed (1%) so cals from fat a fairly low. Sugars are still high, but for $5 or less I can have 144g protein...that's cheap and easy to consume... If I were to space out the milk intake(500ml 8 times per day) how long would the insulin spike be present??

Also would one develop a tolerance to the sugars? Maybe over a span of 12 weeks, the protein benefit would be okay and the fat increase would be minimal??

Learning, not teaching... Please feed my brain
    Try no added sugar soy milk it's a good source of protein, cows milk has too much sugar!

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson

Try no added sugar soy milk it's a good source of protein, cows milk has too much sugar!
    Not for me. Soy products f with estrogen levels. I'd Rather have insulin spikes lol
    Would these insulin spikes benefit Insulin-growth-factor?

Blog Entries
    When i look at peoples diets and the amount of sugar they eat anyways, especially in their protein powder.. ur betetr off drinking 4 litres of full fat milk IMO

Razor is offline Banned
    Dairy bloat sucks

When i look at peoples diets and the amount of sugar they eat anyways, especially in their protein powder.. ur betetr off drinking 4 litres of full fat milk IMO
    Amen to that! Plus so many people sup with dextrose and maltodextrine which is basically fancy talk for sugar... Im gonna try it for my own studies. I'm fascinated

greenwell001 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by >Good Luck< View Post
    Not for me. Soy products f with estrogen levels. I'd Rather have insulin spikes lol
    yes, and no. What you want is better insulin sensitivity so when it does spike it will affect igf better. You want to keep insulin low until after workout and then blow it up after.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Milk is fantastic for gaining....only trouble is what you will gain.

Blog Entries
    my 8 pack ripped abz and amazing body is from milk. sucks everyone else gets fat from it lol

austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I avoid milk, regardless of cutting or bulking. Most lactose actually. No carbs from Lactose, fructose or dextrose for me. Very minimal and very rare that I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by >Good Luck<

Good choice. Soy products are not the way to go unless you love estrogen.

my 8 pack ripped abz and amazing body is from milk. sucks everyone else gets fat from it lol
    Not possible. Cut abs has way more to do with nutrition not large quantities of milk.

Don't get me wrong. I love milk. I just don't drink it all.

.....and I leave the gainer shakes on the store shelf where they belong.

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mockery View Post
    kidding right?

Thread Information