PetrX is offline Associate Member

Question New diet plan..will it work??

Never been much of a strict diet type of guy, Ive just followed what works for me. 4 big meals a day with almond snacks and natural peanut butter in betweens. I weigh 224-227 lbs, 8% bf. I read a blog by joseph c donnelly and he stated that he consumes about 3-4 protein drinks a day and a huge meal after his work outs. The man is 6'4 240 lbs and hes shredded, his workouts are pretty great, so it looks like he knows what hes talking about. So I have been getting all my meals via liquid 4 times a day. Each shake consists of the following.

8-10 egg whites( 56 g of protein)
    2 cups of skim milk (22 g of protein)
    1/2 cup of malt o meal ( about 15 g of protein)
    and a 1/4 of a banana
    = about 93 g of protein per shake times 3-4 times a day= 279-372 g of protein a day

followed by a huge meal after work outs consisting of tuna, salmon, steak, or chicken, bake potatoe, and tons of vegs.

Then 1-2 cups of fat free cottage cheese with oats before bed time.

Ive been doing this for 2 weeks now and its beats cooking 4 times a day and is saving about 150$ a week in food. Can this work in the long-run and yield good results??
    Last edited by PetrX; 08-25-2012 at 03:42 PM.

No suggestions anyone????

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hey man

personally i enjoy eating so i would not like that diet at all! hard to say if itll work or not. u know the egg whites only have like 50% bio available protein unless u cook them?

4 meals of 16oz milk + 4 bananas per day seems like a lot of unnecessary sugar.

dont know what malt o meal is..

uve been doing it 3 weeks or so now hows it working for u?

i dont think even if it doesnt work u will have any probs getting back to where ur stats r now seeing as how u know how to get there. i suppose if its conducive to ur lifestyle its worth a shot.. not a big fan of all that sugar mainly

digsy1983 is offline Member
    "about 93 g of protein per shake times 3-4 times a day= 279-372 g of protein a day"

is this not too much protein to have in 1 go? i was under the impression that anything over 60-70g in 1 sitting will just be wasted protein and converted and stored as fat?

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    hey man

personally i enjoy eating so i would not like that diet at all! hard to say if itll work or not. u know the egg whites only have like 50% bio available protein unless u cook them?

4 meals of 16oz milk + 4 bananas per day seems like a lot of unnecessary sugar.

dont know what malt o meal is..

uve been doing it 3 weeks or so now hows it working for u?

i dont think even if it doesnt work u will have any probs getting back to where ur stats r now seeing as how u know how to get there. i suppose if its conducive to ur lifestyle its worth a shot.. not a big fan of all that sugar mainly
    I meant to say 1/4 of a banana. Malt-0-meal is kind of like gritts or cream of wheat, except more protein, also has lots of vitamins iron ect. The thing is im Diabetic and this is the only form of sugar I get, I take insulin but my workouts consist of 2 intense hours of working out and cardio without breaks so my sugar drops very low if I dont consume a certain amount of sugars and carbs. I just got accepted to Med school so cooking 4-6 times a day is out of the question now and Im honestly sick of chicken lol. Im just hoping this is good enough to maybe add a couple of lbs of lean muscle.. Ive never been much of a calorie-protein-card counting guy, I just believe in workingout smart and hard, but now I have to make adjustments in my meals so this is one way I can save tons of money and get my meals on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    hey man

u know the egg whites only have like 50% bio available protein unless u cook them?
    Thats a big misconception, studies often cited for this claim don't take into consideration two key facts: First- overcooking the egg actually makes the protien less bioavailable than even raw eggs and (2) the effect of stomach acid on denaturing raw egg protein. Proteins can be denatured in many ways. Heat and cooking is surely one way. Another way is to expose the protein to a powerful acid (say, stomach acid). It should be noted that the vast bulk of your body's protein absorbtion does not take place in the stomach, but rather in the duodenum and small intestine. Many researchers now believe that raw egg protein is actually much more bioavailable that previously thought because of the small (i.e,. just right) amount of denaturing that takes place from stomach acid. Many researchers also now believe that the bioavailability of egg protein is actually much better from a raw egg than an overcooked egg (something to keep in mind) and may actually be fairly on par with that of a cooked (but not overcooked) egg.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    good to know i dont eat raw eggs anyways but picked that info up from this board. ill pass it on and maybe we can get to the bottom of it.

congrats on ur acceptance into med school as well as ur stats considering ur diabetic. u look great man! id say taking into consideration ur upcoming lifestyle (med school) and the priority it has to take in ur life whatever u can do to make both ur bodybuilding/exercise regime and massive academic commitment easier will be ur best bet! if u can maintain a good GPA and the body u currently have while simultaneously maintaining ur sanity and social life i would say u have done well!

good luck bro!

Thread Information