calstate23 is offline Banned

Manipulating carb sources and it's impact on gi...

I have never really looked into this but using some common sense and some basic biology it has crossed my mind that manipulating your carb source can impact how fast it breaks down into glucose.

For instance, we all know that heat speeds up molecular breakdown. For instance dropping a piece of bread into boiling water would breakdown almost instantly whereas dropping the same piece of bread into ice water it would take much longer.

So where am I going with this? I would also assume this can effect a carb sources GI. For instance, let's say I eat a yam and then chase it down with STEAMING HOT WATER. Common sense would say it would DEFINITELY icrease the time it takes the yam to breakdown. Thus, also increasing it's GI as the long chain carb source would be broken down down to a short chain.

And also vice versa, Let's same I eat a yam and then chase it down with ice cubes. COuld this possibly even further lower it's effect on blood sugars?

ANyone ever heard of this? I usually have a blood glucose meter but I don't right now or else I would test it myself. ANyone willing to try it out and let us know your readings?

I'm almost positive it should work...

This could be great because then you could possible eat higher GI carb sources and slow them down to effect your blood sugar less....

As far as manipulating, I would also assume BLENDING your oats and such would increase it's breakdown and make it effect your GI in a negative way. I really have feeling it does because complex carb sources that get popped, puffed or flake change it's GI level
    Last edited by calstate23; 08-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i know the body'e temp is 98.6 degrees F (37C) and that chewing helps break down the food for your digestive enzymes to do the rest of the work. i think with the blending of the oats, weight is weight, meaning that you still have 200g of oats, you just cut out the chewing step. now, chasing that down with hot water, maybe it could help speed up the process, you may be onto something? hot protein shake anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    i know the body'e temp is 98.6 degrees F (37C) and that chewing helps break down the food for your digestive enzymes to do the rest of the work. i think with the blending of the oats, weight is weight, meaning that you still have 200g of oats, you just cut out the chewing step. now, chasing that down with hot water, maybe it could help speed up the process, you may be onto something? hot protein shake anyone!
    EXACTLY...HOT PROTEIN SHAKE!

I honestly tried this the other day. As well with any protein source. I would assume it would break down faster allowing the amino acids to do their job qiucker! ALthough, whey protein is like the glucose form of sugar. It's already broken down as far as it can go so it hits the body fast..
    Last edited by calstate23; 08-24-2012 at 01:08 PM.

i do see your point and i believe it could hold water (my cousin vinny line!) like you mentioned above, i wonder how the body would respond after an 8-16hr fast by testing blood glucose after ingesting cold/hot shake.

i do see your point and i believe it could hold water (my cousin vinny line!) like you mentioned above, i wonder how the body would respond after an 8-16hr fast by testing blood glucose after ingesting cold/hot shake.
    ALthough, whey protein is like the glucose form of sugar. It's already broken down as far as it can go so it hits the body fast..

I mean I would like to see a normal bowl of oats eaten and then a bowl of oats blended in steaming hot water and then drank.

I honestly believe it would have to increase it's GI VERY much. At least compared to eating it normal. I don't see how it couldn't...........

I mean I'm going deep here...

What if you blended a steak in hot hot water...Not only did you break down most of it into tiny chunks but the hot hot water should increase breakdown even more..

I mean look at taking medicine for instance...It's people take a "long acting" pill and crush it up and then swallow it, "So it hits them harder" ha ha...

Techinically breaking down food items takes a lot of the work out of the digestive process making for faster absorption

I mean imagine taking a long acting pill or crushing it up super fine and then stir it up in boiling water and drink it...WHat do you think would "hit" you faster? Taking the whole pill or the latter?
    Last edited by calstate23; 08-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    Brotha you got too much free time on your hands. lol If your theory is correct then patent that sh*t. True or not; I am not digesting a HOT protein shake or mixing water with my steak. haha.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    I would like to see the results of this experiment but I don't believe it would change anything because it would take very little time for the liquid be it hot or cold to stabilize at body temp once it hits your stomach. Now be it hot or cold if you were able to completely dissolve you food into a liquid that might be a different story.
    Last edited by Dpyle; 08-24-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Live for the PUMP View Post
    Brotha you got too much free time on your hands. lol If your theory is correct then patent that sh*t. True or not; I am not digesting a HOT protein shake or mixing water with my steak. haha.
    Ha ha saddest part is I'm actually at work ha ha...Shows how much I actually do at my job ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    I would like to see the results of this experiment but I don't believe it would change anything because it would take very little time for the liquid be it hot or cold to stabilize at body temp once it hits your stomach. Now be it hot or cold if you were able to completely dissolve you food into a liquid that might be a different story.
    True...But if you keep sipping on hot water for a while then you could keep it constant..

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calstate23

True...But if you keep sipping on hot water for a while then you could keep it constant..
    Possibly but would it be easier to just use a thermogenic to increase core temp and do the same thing without the need to struggle down a hot ass protein shake or puréed steak and continue to sip hot water after to maintain increased belly warmth?

i can see it now, a restaurant for gourmet shakes!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    funny..

Thread Information