ZoomyR6 is offline Junior Member

Am I on the right track?

Hey fellas.

I am currently trying to calculate my macros for my diet and wanted to know if I am on the right track before I start adding food to it. My current stats are:

26y/o male
    6'3
    265lbs
    about 27% bf
    Going to be lifting 3 days a week
    Goal is to lose weight (I created a 750cal deficit. Hope this isn't too much)

I chose the Katch-McArdle formula to calculate my BMR due to hearing the HB formula over calculates. There is an extra 225 cal when using the harris-benedict. I am going to post to my complete break down of how I came to this:

3. Katch-McArdle
    BMR (basal metobolic rate-Calories burned daily just for living, no activity)

Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise or sports one to three times per week)
    TDEE=3114.8062

120.2kg (weight) 265lbs
    190.5cm (height) 75in

p/c/f=calories
    TDEE: 3115-750(calorie deficit)=2365cal
    40/40/20(split)=946/946/473
    Pro-4cal: Carb-4cal: Fat-9cal
    236.5g of pro
    236.5g of carb
    52.5g of fat

6 meals= 394.165 cal per meal
    39.4g of pro per meal
    39.4g of carb per meal
    8.75g of fat per meal

Thanks in advance,
    -Anthony

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sources for those macros will definitely factor in and I'm sure they are "clean." Are you going to be adding any cardio, since your goal is weight loss? IMHO, adding 45-60 min of cardio to those 3 days will help you attain your weight loss goals in a shorter period of time. And don't be so rooted in your formula that you refuse to adjust if you're not seeing the results you looking for. Adaptability is a key player in this game. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

I plan on adding cardio to it and yes the macros will be clean. I just want to make sure my calculations are right and that im on the right track before i start adding in food to the equation and have to start over if they are wrong

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Going strictly by how the Katch-McArdle formula (which I freely admit I've never used) calculates your caloric needs based upon BMR+estimated activity level, I'd say you should be pretty close, based on the formula.. Bear in mind, this part is just my opinion...I'd venture to say that caloric need calculators give you a really good base/jumping off point but again, feel your way with it. Listen and respond to what your body is telling you. But I don't see why this formula, your calculations or plans would be inherently wrong. Like I said, worst case scenario it is a great starting point.

Thank you man. Appreciate the help and value your opinion.
    Does anyone else see any problems thus far with the calculations?

johnnychun is offline New Member
    Your numbers all look. Like Odins said, the calculators are all estimates and you may have to mess with the numbers a little as you go to adjust for your own needs. Great starting point, just listen to your body as you progress.

Thread Information