Lazarov is offline Associate Member

What do you guys think about protein bars?

I want to up my macros a little bit and so I'm thinking about adding one of those met rx big 100 colossal protein bars to my diet. (1 a day) or some other protein bar.
    I know that they're full of artificial crud but are they really THAT bad or are they an ok addition to a muscle building diet? If the protein in them is really worthless, then I could always drink another protein shake and eat another banana.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarov
    I want to up my macros a little bit and so I'm thinking about adding one of those met rx big 100 colossal protein bars to my diet. (1 a day) or some other protein bar.
    I know that they're full of artificial crud but are they really THAT bad or are they an ok addition to a muscle building diet? If the protein in them is really worthless, then I could always drink another protein shake and eat another banana.
    Eat real food. Protein bars are nothing more than chocolate/candy bars with protein added in. Worthless.

LiveFitBeFit is offline Just a banned Fat boy!
    Only bars I ever would eat are quest bars by quest nutrition. Google them.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I eat them if I end up in meetings or some other unplanned activity that makes me skip a meal or two. I will drop in to a store and pick up a bar or shake just to make sure I get my protein. The added sugar means I need to adjust the rest of my day a bit.

Natureboy71 is offline Associate Member
    Agreed. In an emergency when I can't get to real food fast or have no time. But not as part of a regular diet.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    i make my own using

oats
    nuts, either peanuts or almonds or both, depends whats in the pantry at the time
    bananas
    chocolate whey powder
    peanut butter
    and some milk or water to bring it all together (not much is needed only about 2 tablespoons or so)

use a food processor, and then mix everything in a large bowl, then flaten out into a tin of some sort, wrap and freeze for a few hours.
    then take it out of the freezer and cut up into individual bars, wrap in cling wrap, and then back into the freezer. eat as needed

i get about 20 bars every time i do this, it's alot cheaper than buying them and alot better for you, as you can control whats in them....

next time i make these ^^, ill write up the recipe including macros and pics and then post it up in the recipe section.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    Eat real food. Protein bars are nothing more than chocolate/candy bars with protein added in. Worthless.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    i make my own using

oats
    nuts, either peanuts or almonds or both, depends whats in the pantry at the time
    bananas
    chocolate whey powder
    peanut butter
    and some milk or water to bring it all together (not much is needed only about 2 tablespoons or so)

use a food processor, and then mix everything in a large bowl, then flaten out into a tin of some sort, wrap and freeze for a few hours.
    then take it out of the freezer and cut up into individual bars, wrap in cling wrap, and then back into the freezer. eat as needed

i get about 20 bars every time i do this, it's alot cheaper than buying them and alot better for you, as you can control whats in them....
    Right here ^^. Make your own and control the sugar content. The ones you buy are garbage.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Only eat them if you can't eat real food. The quality of the protein that most of them use is garbage, and they are usually loaded with sugars.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    if u need more protein bring another piece of meat with u for goodness sake

also i have not encountered one of these "emergency" situations. diets have cumulative effects over time and i would not consider any situation to be an emergency. worst case scenario: dont eat anything! i fast 21hrs EOD and am maintaining strength and LBM and dropping fat.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Check these out. Not too bad especially if you use the agave nectar instead of honey or if you really wanna watch sugar they have a sugar free corn syrup substitute at most food stores - use that instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc

SMACKADUCK is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFitBeFit
    Only bars I ever would eat are quest bars by quest nutrition. Google them.
    These are delicious and when it comes to overall macros some of the best out there. They are like 170 calories 20p minimal fat and 24c with 18 fiber so essentially 6c. Still prefer food but these are the best I have seen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMACKADUCK View Post
    These are delicious and when it comes to overall macros some of the best out there. They are like 170 calories 20p minimal fat and 24c with 18 fiber so essentially 6c. Still prefer food but these are the best I have seen.
    I dont find them delicious by any means. They are definitely the healthiest available option however.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Check these out. Not too bad especially if you use the agave nectar instead of honey or if you really wanna watch sugar they have a sugar free corn syrup substitute at most food stores - use that instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc
    Thanks for this, they sound amazing!!!

I'd probably ditch the almonds as they won't really add much to the flavor profile, and there's enough fat (for my taste) already from the PB and almond milk. I'd also ditch the chocolate (again, high fat) in favor of raw cacao powder. As you suggested, i'd look for a sugar free corn syrup sub or possibly use stevia. Finally, depending on my goal, I MIGHT ditch the cranberries as well.

BAH!!! I just robbed these bars of all their goodness and flavor!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

I'd probably ditch the almonds as they won't really add much to the flavor profile, and there's enough fat (for my taste) already from the PB and almond milk. I'd also ditch the chocolate (again, high fat) in favor of raw cacao powder. As you suggested, i'd look for a sugar free corn syrup sub or possibly use stevia. Finally, depending on my goal, I MIGHT ditch the cranberries as well.

Naah man i tweek it all the time. Its a great base of a recipe though..can do alot with it....

Lazarov is offline Associate Member
    Consensus is: They're garbage.

Well I thought so.. I'll just eat another 5 oz chicken breast and a cup of rice. Same macros as one of those huge protein bars, but from much better sources.

as promised:

kronik's mass gainer protein shake:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...-protein-shake

kronik's protein bar:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...ein-bar-recipe

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

For good reason.

Thread Information