Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MiNNiE_MOUSE is offline Female Member

Cutting and Toning

So starting tomorrow husband and I will be goiN to the gym... Finally signed up and have to say I'm excited... My question is tho is : what should my calorie intake be? I wanna lose about 30lbs (which I know will take awhile) but I just wanna lose the weight and tome my body. Dnt want to bulk just tone and cut the fat off... Any help is appreciated! I bought frozen strawberries and bananas so I can make shakes with the whey protein for the added energy and metabolism boost... So

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Hi Minnie.

In short, I would determine my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and then subtract approx 300-500 cals from that to start. Then, when you know the number of cals it takes to reduce BF, along with exercise routine, you can adjust the MACROS to suit your goals.

TDEE = LBMX15 = Number of cals to maintain current body weight. Reduce this figure by 300-500 cals.

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    Quote Originally Posted by MiNNiE_MOUSE View Post
    So starting tomorrow husband and I will be goiN to the gym... Finally signed up and have to say I'm excited... My question is tho is : what should my calorie intake be? I wanna lose about 30lbs (which I know will take awhile) but I just wanna lose the weight and tome my body. Dnt want to bulk just tone and cut the fat off... Any help is appreciated! I bought frozen strawberries and bananas so I can make shakes with the whey protein for the added energy and metabolism boost... So
    Just a quick....Hi Minnie, I don't remember meeting you. Hope these guys can help ...crazy mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike
    Just a quick....Hi Minnie, I don't remember meeting you. Hope these guys can help ...crazy mike
    Yeah I dnt think we meet LoL I signed up like mid December because my husband is on here also and suggested I sign up to get help from other females that know the female body LoL and that can help me...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox
    Hi Minnie.

In short, I would determine my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and then subtract approx 300-500 cals from that to start. Then, when you know the number of cals it takes to reduce BF, along with exercise routine, you can adjust the MACROS to suit your goals.

TDEE = LBMX15 = Number of cals to maintain current body weight. Reduce this figure by 300-500 cals.
    Ok, thanks!

twitz is offline Female Member
    Hi Minnie . Like they said above, calculate your tdee and you can work on your diet from there.

Also wanted to say that if you are eating below maintenance (which you will be since your goal is weight loss) you will not get bulky like you may think. Don't be scared to weight train, that will help you get that 'tone' look as you call it .

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by twitz
    Hi Minnie . Like they said above, calculate your tdee and you can work on your diet from there.

Also wanted to say that if you are eating below maintenance (which you will be since your goal is weight loss) you will not get bulky like you may think. Don't be scared to weight train, that will help you get that 'tone' look as you call it .

Good luck to you!
    LoL thank you... I dnt mind the bulky look but I wanna do the basics before that... I know I must do 1 step at a time... Yes mostly weight loss but also want the nice toning look hopefully that's what it is called LoL thanks!

What are your current stats (including BF% to the best of your knowledge) Minnie?

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey best of luck, also, you should listen to Twitz about the toning thing, theres no such thing as "toning" . You get muscular definition from having a low body fat. If you achieve your goal of having a low BF and then you have no muscles, you wont look toned. In essence all females should weight train, theres NO way you will become bulky, its virtually impossible for a woman if you're limiting your calories. That's just my 2 cents on the matter, good luck regardless what you decide to do

What are your current stats (including BF% to the best of your knowledge) Minnie?
    About 37% I'm guessing.... By looking at BF% pictures to figure out my % .... I have a belly on me I want to get rid of and of course the weight everywhere else...

So I should've put that I'm chubby and wanna get fit... So instead of cutting and toning... So think of the topis as CHUBBY AND WANNA GET FIT!! LoL

Height
    Weight
    Height
    Weight
    175Lbs
    24yrs old
    Have 3-kids

175x37%=65
    175-65=110

LBMx15=TDEE

110x15=1650

So, you require 1650 cals (approx) to maintain your current body weight, based upon your figures.

Reduce you daily cals to 1100-1200 and adjust MACROS to reflect your intended goals. Typically, a dieting macro looks like this.. 40/40/20

And a 1200 cal diet looks like this: (*Adjust and fine tune this diet to your goals and set up an exercise routine that suits your physical condition.*)

1200 Calorie Diet

Meal 1 (Upon waking)

1000mg Vitamin C
    Woman’s Multi Vitamin
    Oats 40g (1/3 cup)
    Eggs 2 whole eggs 1 egg white
    24/13/54/375 Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals

Exercise/Workout

Meal 2

Protein shake
    Banana (medium size)
    25/0/27/311 Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals

Meal 3

Chicken 150g (raw)
    Rice 50g (raw brown basmati)
    49/8/36/332 Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals

Meal 4

Tuna 2 x 95g cans
    Salad (Mixed green salads, tablespoon of salad dressing)
    30/6/12/200 Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals

Total Macro’s
    152/27/129/1218
    Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitz View Post

Good luck to you!
    Talk about the understatement of the day! I see this way too often. The vast majority of women in gyms today equate weight lifting to bulking. The whole caloric need portion of the equation is either never explained or is hard to grasp. That was great advice twitz! Minnie, heed her advice and hit those weights along with your cardio! Oh, and along "not being afraid to hit the weights"...in concert with that thought, don't be afraid to challenge yourself and increase the work load as you progress. And be sure to dial in the TDEE as has been suggested...you should be GTG! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon

Talk about the understatement of the day! I see this way too often. The vast majority of women in gyms today equate weight lifting to bulking. The whole caloric need portion of the equation is either never explained or is hard to grasp. That was great advice twitz! Minnie, heed her advice and hit those weights along with your cardio! Oh, and along "not being afraid to hit the weights"...in concert with that thought, don't be afraid to challenge yourself and increase the work load as you progress. And be sure to dial in the TDEE as has been suggested...you should be GTG! Good luck!
    Thank you... I am very much so taking in all the advice, I need the help!

175x37%=65
    175-65=110

LBMx15=TDEE

110x15=1650

So, you require 1650 cals (approx) to maintain your current body weight, based upon your figures.

Reduce you daily cals to 1100-1200 and adjust MACROS to reflect your intended goals. Typically, a dieting macro looks like this.. 40/40/20

And a 1200 cal diet looks like this: (*Adjust and fine tune this diet to your goals and set up an exercise routine that suits your physical condition.*)

1200 Calorie Diet

Meal 1 (Upon waking)

1000mg Vitamin C
    Woman's Multi Vitamin
    Oats 40g (1/3 cup)

Exercise/Workout

Meal 2

Protein shake
    Banana (medium size)

Meal 3

Chicken 150g (raw)

Meal 4

Tuna 2 x 95g cans

Total Macro's
    152/27/129/1218
    Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals
    Thanks this will help!! I just gta figure something out for Meal 4 because I do not like tuna/fish anything like that... I have another thread that says I'm a picky eater... LoL but everything else looks good and I cnt wait to get started!

Thanks this will help!! I just gta figure something out for Meal 4 because I do not like tuna/fish anything like that... I have another thread that says I'm a picky eater... LoL but everything else looks good and I cnt wait to get started!
    Just plug in some more chicken or eggs. If push comes to shove, have a shake. I'm not a fan of more than a couple shakes a day. Personally, I only have one...post work out but that's just me. There are occasional times when I'll drink two when I simply can't get the chewed food in! Oh, and this is just my personal experience and practice...but I usually try to eat the same thing, every day and the variety is very limited. For me, consistence in food choices makes for more simple preparation and less likelihood of variance from your daily needs. But again, that's just my personal thing...doesn't work for everyone.

Absolutely! ^^

Switch it up with any other protein you like. That diet is simply a template for you to use as a guide to get you going. Eventually you will tailor it to your specific needs and tastes.

Absolutely! ^^

Switch it up with any other protein you like. That diet is simply a template for you to use as a guide to get you going. Eventually you will tailor it to your specific needs and tastes.
    Thanks!! I appreciate the advice!!

Just plug in some more chicken or eggs. If push comes to shove, have a shake. I'm not a fan of more than a couple shakes a day. Personally, I only have one...post work out but that's just me. There are occasional times when I'll drink two when I simply can't get the chewed food in! Oh, and this is just my personal experience and practice...but I usually try to eat the same thing, every day and the variety is very limited. For me, consistence in food choices makes for more simple preparation and less likelihood of variance from your daily needs. But again, that's just my personal thing...doesn't work for everyone.
    Sounds good!! KeepN it simple wrks for me!! LoL especially when I go back to wrk I wrk graveyard 10:30pm-7am so that'll wrk great!! LoL

ElectraMaddox is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    No matter how heavy you lift you're not going to bulk up... I lift weights primarily with little cardio and I dropped a lot of weight and my body doesn't look bulky at all. Unless you're shooting up test or taking any aas you're not going to have that much muscle growth anyways. Def. lift you'll see you're body change at a much faster pace. Cardio just makes you shrink it doesn't make you look better. Idk if that made sense or not

Quote Originally Posted by ElectraMaddox
    No matter how heavy you lift you're not going to bulk up... I lift weights primarily with little cardio and I dropped a lot of weight and my body doesn't look bulky at all. Unless you're shooting up test or taking any aas you're not going to have that much muscle growth anyways. Def. lift you'll see you're body change at a much faster pace. Cardio just makes you shrink it doesn't make you look better. Idk if that made sense or not
    It does thank you... I will make sure to do both!!

175x37%=65
    175-65=110

LBMx15=TDEE

110x15=1650

1200 Calorie Diet

Meal 1 (Upon waking)

1000mg Vitamin C
    Woman's Multi Vitamin
    Oats 40g (1/3 cup)

Exercise/Workout

Meal 2

Protein shake
    Banana (medium size)

Meal 3

Chicken 150g (raw)

Meal 4

Tuna 2 x 95g cans

Total Macro's
    152/27/129/1218
    Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals
    What kind of chicken, I have an app on my iPhone but its stats about 160z of chicken to hit that protein mark, also saying 900 cals. It's chicken Breast boneless

Quote Originally Posted by ElectraMaddox View Post
    ^^ This. The analogy I like to use is this: Which is physically bigger, a beach ball or a 10lbs plate? A beach ball. Which weights more? The 10lbs weight. You goals, IMHO, should revolve around your physical size, not your weight. You can weigh more, yet physically be smaller. How? Muscle weighs more than fat. The scales are your worst enemy. Stay off them!! Rather, use your pant/waist size as a gauge for your progress. Make any sense??

What kind of chicken, I have an app on my iPhone but its stats about 160z of chicken to hit that protein mark, also saying 900 cals. It's chicken Breast boneless
    This.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    What Mickey worked up for you is maybe a tad low IMO. I use x 13 as a multiplier for gals and do not adjust downward so we come out to about the same results. His food choices are spot on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    What Mickey worked up for you is maybe a tad low IMO. I use x 13 as a multiplier for gals and do not adjust downward so we come out to about the same results. His food choices are spot on!!!
    On purpose. If im going to error on my diet i would rather error on the side of caution, and to me that is the low side.

But i like 13 multiplier you have chosen for woman. Is this because BF is generally higher on woman GGR?

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

On purpose. If im going to error on my diet i would rather error on the side of caution, and to me that is the low side.

But i like 13 multiplier you have chosen for woman. Is this because BF is generally higher on woman GGR?
    Yes. And I checked it against other formulas.

I understand your concept. It's good. It's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Yes. And I checked it against other formulas.

I understand your concept. It's good. It's a winner.
    I just double checked it against two online TDEE calculators and you're right, not that im surprised. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip GGR!

^^ This. The analogy I like to use is this: Which is physically bigger, a beach ball or a 10lbs plate? A beach ball. Which weights more? The 10lbs weight. You goals, IMHO, should revolve around your physical size, not your weight. You can weigh more, yet physically be smaller. How? Muscle weighs more than fat. The scales are your worst enemy. Stay off them!! Rather, use your pant/waist size as a gauge for your progress. Make any sense??
    Yes it does... It's the pants size that bothers me but more so the tummy hanging over in the front... 3 kids later and seemed to get bigger n bigger but than again I never really ate healthy nor watched what I ate... But I'm determined to lose weight and hope to get FIT!! But yes it does make sense thanks

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just don't give up, I've met lots of people that just give up because they don't get skinny in a month... I always told them it took you years to get out of shape, so you gotta put your time in to get back in shape.
    Bottom line is, you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by cj111
    Just don't give up, I've met lots of people that just give up because they don't get skinny in a month... I always told them it took you years to get out of shape, so you gotta put your time in to get back in shape.
    Bottom line is, you can do it!
    Thanks!! So far its not bad... My 3rd day at the gym doin the elliptical... 35min Monday/Tuesday and today 40min... Been drinkN protein shakes with my husband with oats, bananas, strawberries, and watchN what I eat... Sore and feeling the burn but I'm doin it!! AND IM DRINKN MORE WATER AND LESS SODA!!! :-) I think I drank maybe an 7oz cup of diet yesterday so I feel good about that!! and thanks!!! I can do it!! ;-)

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Good luck to you MINNIE!

Remember.....consistency is key and slow wins this race!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post

175x37%=65
    175-65=110

LBMx15=TDEE

110x15=1650

1200 Calorie Diet

Meal 1 (Upon waking)

1000mg Vitamin C
    Woman’s Multi Vitamin
    Oats 40g (1/3 cup)

Exercise/Workout

Meal 2

Protein shake
    Banana (medium size)

Meal 3

Chicken 150g (raw)

Meal 4

Tuna 2 x 95g cans

Total Macro’s
    152/27/129/1218
    Protein /Fats/Carbs/Cals
    either way math is still a tad off.

175 at 37% is 117lbm ( doesnt seem like much but it will make a hundred calories differerence, doesnt seem like much but over a few weeks it can make a few lb difference)
    117x15 ( male) = 1755 cals
    117x13 ( female) 1521 cals

or maybe mines off?????

on another note, these are all merely starting points and quite possibly way off unless you were 100% sure on your bf% , and we wouldnt know unless you had accurate tests. But in most cases this is a good starting point!

keep an eye on scale if you are dropping more than 1.5-2lbs per week you may want to readjust, step back and re-think what could be off.

this is still at the deficit cals Mickey stated 300-500 ( good info Mickey!)

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    either way math is still a tad off.

175 at 37% is 117lbm ( doesnt seem like much but it will make a hundred calories differerence, doesnt seem like much but over a few weeks it can make a few lb difference)
    117x15 ( male) = 1755 cals
    117x13 ( female) 1521 cals

or maybe mines off?????

on another note, these are all merely starting points and quite possibly way off unless you were 100% sure on your bf% , and we wouldnt know unless you had accurate tests. But in most cases this is a good starting point!

keep an eye on scale if you are dropping more than 1.5-2lbs per week you may want to readjust, step back and re-think what could be off.

this is still at the deficit cals Mickey stated 300-500 ( good info Mickey!)
    Thanks bro.

Back to the numbers MM gave. Would you agree that mathematical equation of 175x37%=64.75? If so, would you agree that the mathematical equation of 175-64.75=110.25? My calculations are correct. But if my rational is off, i want to know.

And yes i agree they are starting points - I used the values provided.

shit im ass backwards all day today!!!!!!!!

your right mickey. HAHAHAHA............

but yes they are good starting values!!!

i just use 175 x .63 = 110 ( some how i typed in .67)

.63 is what i use for 37% ( take 100 - the % and you get the decimal you need for a multiplier)

but as you can see my way can get messed up LOL
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 02-27-2013 at 03:54 PM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    If im going to error on my diet i would rather error on the side of caution, and to me that is the low side.
    100% agree. This is why i'll never sweat missing a meal - or go to extraordinary lengths to have one - while cutting. There's nothing to be concerned with. So my deficit is a few hundred calories lower that day - GOOD!!

Good lucky Minnie, keep us posted!

No worries. We all have those lol.

i just use 175 x .63 = 110 ( some how i typed in .67)

.63 is what i use for 37% ( take 100 - the % and you get the decimal you need for a multiplier)

but as you can see my way can get messed up LOL
    No worries. We all have those lol.
    i have more than most

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information