AlphaA02 is offline New Member

What to consume for protein

Can I just do X amount of protein shakes a day to get my Y amount of protein needed?

Or do I need to vary it up with fish, red meat, and so on so forth?

Also is there any type of drastic variation to diet from lifting to anabolic lifting? (I wonder because I may be getting my foot in the door to get my first set of gear and know you guys prolly know as a whole better than guys locally)

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    mostly dead animals is a good place ta start...................remember.............you piss out alot of that protein powder

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    the best sources of protein come from whole foods like eggs, fish, poultry, and red meat.

many here do the protein shakes to kind of "fill in the blanks" if they feel they are not getting in enough protein.

regarding anabilics. probably should hold off as you are only 22 and your hormonal system is most likely still developing. Starting anabolics now could impact normal development.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers. This is a highly debated topic. Personally, I try to get at least 2/3rds of my protein from 'real' food and supplement the rest with protein shakes as needed. Meaning - there are times I simply cannot eat/cook real food. In those cases, a protein shake is better than nothing.

Note - even when I do have a shake (with the exception of my PWO shake), it's blended with 'real' food - cottage cheese, oats, Greek yogurt, egg whites, etc.

thedeerhunter is offline New Member
    I would suggest a couple months of research, at least, on here. There are some good reads on here in the stickies section. You definitely do not want to rely on protein shakes all day to be your main source of protein. You need to learn what to eat,and how many calories to consume to meet your goals. Dieting 101 is a really good topic to start on. Don't jump on any gear until you can get your diet in check. You will learn lots on here. Good luck!

billyjohnholmes is offline New Member
    Liquid egg whites. They don't really have a taste to them. Loaded with protein and not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjohnholmes
    Liquid egg whites. They don't really have a taste to them. Loaded with protein and not much else.
    ^^ among plenty of other choices.

I'm drinking a quart (roughly 100g protein) per day now!

ElectraMaddox is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ among plenty of other choices.

I'm drinking a quart (roughly 100g protein) per day now!
    Why that over a protein shake? Any reason in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by ElectraMaddox View Post
    Why that over a protein shake? Any reason in particular?
    Reasoning is twofold:

1 - I've been working to eliminate as much dairy as possible from my diet, and all the protein powders I have/use contain milk proteins to varying degrees. Yes I could just buy an egg protein powder, but why bother when I can have the same thing in it's natural form?

2 - I've been trying to eliminate processed foods from my diet (within reason), protein powders were an easy one since egg whites are just as easy, tasteless (which I can flavor myself), and arguably a superior source. That said, I still do use protein powders, just in limited capacity. Basically I add a bit to my protein smoothie that I make almost every morning, and my PWO shake (which I don't count as a meal [but DO count the macros of course] ) is actually all protein powder (and oats).

Blog Entries
    Reasoning is twofold:

1 - I've been working to eliminate as much dairy as possible from my diet, and all the protein powders I have/use contain milk proteins to varying degrees. Yes I could just buy an egg protein powder, but why bother when I can have the same thing in it's natural form?

2 - I've been trying to eliminate processed foods from my diet (within reason), protein powders were an easy one since egg whites are just as easy, tasteless (which I can flavor myself), and arguably a superior source. That said, I still do use protein powders, just in limited capacity. Basically I add a bit to my protein smoothie that I make almost every morning, and my PWO shake (which I don't count as a meal [but DO count the macros of course] ) is actually all protein powder (and oats).
    That makes sense. Do you feel that's advantageous to you in anyway?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Right now im 50/50 shakes/food as far as protein goes. I like to be around where gbrice said 2/3 food - 1/3 powder but life is too busy at the moment so im working with what I can or am willing to do.

That makes sense. Do you feel that's advantageous to you in anyway?
    Definitely. From a physical standpoint, I started cutting 3 weeks ago and wanted to keep my sugar intake under 20g. With the amount of dairy I was consuming prior, that was impossible. It wasn't just the protein powders - but also what I mix them with (cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, etc) - it just added up fast. Further, eggs are considered by many to be a 'gold standard' protein. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but I think everyone would agree they're a quality source.

From a mental standpoint, (and I'm not 100% convinced on the following yet, but still...) it makes me feel good to know I'm consuming more 'real' food vs. processed protein powders. Whether there's any real discernible difference in the outcome (i.e. body composition, gains, etc) is also debatable (seeing a trend here? lol). But again, I know this can't possibly be 'bad'.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Definitely. From a physical standpoint, I started cutting 3 weeks ago and wanted to keep my sugar intake under 20g. With the amount of dairy I was consuming prior, that was impossible. It wasn't just the protein powders - but also what I mix them with (cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, etc) - it just added up fast. Further, eggs are considered by many to be a 'gold standard' protein. Whether that's true or not is debatable, but I think everyone would agree they're a quality source.

From a mental standpoint, (and I'm not 100% convinced on the following yet, but still...) it makes me feel good to know I'm consuming more 'real' food vs. processed protein powders. Whether there's any real discernible difference in the outcome (i.e. body composition, gains, etc) is also debatable (seeing a trend here? lol). But again, I know this can't possibly be 'bad'.
    I agree 100%, and honestly I consume so many egg whites I'm seriously considering buying some hens...
    There is a downside to egg whites though.... At least for me.....
    The "after smell". It's enough to clear a house.

Blog Entries

you have converted my belief system... For sure!

Quote Originally Posted by billyjohnholmes View Post
    I agree 100%, and honestly I consume so many egg whites I'm seriously considering buying some hens...
    There is a downside to egg whites though.... At least for me.....
    The "after smell". It's enough to clear a house.
    It's funny... I was REALLY worried about this when I was planning my cut. I knew I wanted to use egg whites (much more than I was), but everybody was always talking about the HORRENDOUS gas. I was already having issues between the carbs and dairy... my wife practically hated me, lol.

Since adding a substantial amount of egg whites to my diet (and subsequently reducing dairy and carbs in general as part of the overall cutting effort), I haven't had ANY problems at all. I mean, I feel great, no bloating whatsoever, and the farts are practically non-existent. Thank GOD, because I don't think I (or anybody within a city block of me) could handle it anymore!! You know you're bad when you nauseate yourself, lol!

you have converted my belief system... For sure!
    Just like that, eh!?

I mean, hey - you have to do what works for you. I wouldn't do anything that works against my lifestyle/quality of life. I used to make such a task of dieting, and it was miserable. IMO, dieting shouldn't be a task. It shouldn't be miserable. Actually, it should be made as pleasant as possible.

Out of curiosity, what was your belief system before I swept you off your feet!? lol

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    1 scoop a day max 2 of powder.
    Chicken, lentils/ black beans, ground turkey, fish, beef, pork, eggs,cottage cheese,greek yogurt...

Theres lots of options for protein my friend. I try and eat a little of everything everyday , gets boring eating same shit errday

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

It's funny... I was REALLY worried about this when I was planning my cut. I knew I wanted to use egg whites (much more than I was), but everybody was always talking about the HORRENDOUS gas. I was already having issues between the carbs and dairy... my wife practically hated me, lol.

Since adding a substantial amount of egg whites to my diet (and subsequently reducing dairy and carbs in general as part of the overall cutting effort), I haven't had ANY problems at all. I mean, I feel great, no bloating whatsoever, and the farts are practically non-existent. Thank GOD, because I don't think I (or anybody within a city block of me) could handle it anymore!! You know you're bad when you nauseate yourself, lol!
    Lucky you.... I can't believe my girlfriend hasn't moved out yet, they smell that awful. You're right about nauseating yourself. I think the odor impregnates any porous surface it touches, then reproduces and re-releases itself back into the air, cause that is a long lingering odor.

Well worth it though. Good, clean, easy, natural protein, no foul taste, no mixing. Tried and true. Works good for someone like me who has a real hard time getting in enough protein throughout the day.

Thread Information