Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Preworkout meal timing

Ok, so I know your supposed to wait an hour or two after ur preworkout meal before lifting to utilize the nutrients from that meal and what not. Well I'm tired of waking up an hour or two before I workout to eat, mainly because I'm already sleep deprived as it is when I'm on nights (4 hours average of sleep). I want to start doing more cardio as well.

My question is this. Can I eat about half hour prior to going to the gym, doing 45 minutes of cardio, drinking bcaa's, then lifting? Would the be some what similar to fasted cardio then lifting while giving my meal time to digest?

I'm not worried about a whole lot of energy while I'm lifting because I've reduced my work load in half for this month to give my muscles a chance to recover from the beating I've handed them the past 8 weeks.

-Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good question Tron.

Personally i would do the whole workout fasted. Doing cardio with any food in my stomach gives me cramps and sickness. I found when I used to IF that I actually had very intense AM workouts.

Food for thought, be curious to see what the others have to say.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Ok, so I know your supposed to wait an hour or two after ur preworkout meal before lifting to utilize the nutrients from that meal and what not. Well I'm tired of waking up an hour or two before I workout to eat, mainly because I'm already sleep deprived as it is when I'm on nights (4 hours average of sleep). I want to start doing more cardio as well.

My question is this. Can I eat about half hour prior to going to the gym, doing 45 minutes of cardio, drinking bcaa's, then lifting? Would the be some what similar to fasted cardio then lifting while giving my meal time to digest?
    Yep. It's what I've been doing all week. You probably don't even need the BCAA's, but they can't hurt. What kind of protein are we talking? I'd go with a combo of fast/slow-ish. Like if you're planning on a shake, 50/50 whey/casein would be ideal. If you opt for 'real' food, eggs + whey would be perfect IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr
    Good question Tron.

Personally i would do the whole workout fasted. Doing cardio with any food in my stomach gives me cramps and sickness. I found when I used to IF that I actually had very intense AM workouts.

Food for thought, be curious to see what the others have to say.
    I don't get cramps or sickness and im not doing any intense cardio, just low intensity. Just want to start incorporating some cardio but don't have a lot of time. And not really too worried about it being fasted cardio, mor interested in preserving lbm

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Backload mate. A nice carb and protein rich meal before bed the night before and that should see you through fine.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Yep. It's what I've been doing all week. You probably don't even need the BCAA's, but they can't hurt. What kind of protein are we talking? I'd go with a combo of fast/slow-ish. Like if you're planning on a shake, 50/50 whey/casein would be ideal. If you opt for 'real' food, eggs + whey would be perfect IMO.
    Do you really gain anything from doing this? Timing your first meal to coincide with the workout?

Well it all depends really, like today I ate salmon and nuts. But a lot of the time I go the shake route;

1 scoop whey
    1 scoop casein
    8 oz egg whites
    4oz almond milk
    2 tbsp macadamia nut oil
    2 tbsp cold milled flax seed

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    Backload mate. A nice carb and protein rich meal before bed the night before and that should see you through fine.
    Well I don't eat a whole lot of carbs. I eat less then 10% carbs. My body prefers dietary fats. I take in a lot of omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Also a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Do you really gain anything from doing this? Timing your first meal to coincide with the workout?
    For me, it depends on the goal at hand. I've worked out both ways (fasted/IF, and fed). When cutting, I could go either way. However when I'm looking to add mass (i.e. lifts are 'balls to the wall'), I feel I benefit from everything a solid meal delivers - immediate energy, full glycogen stores, even water retention, etc.

Reason I'm considering this is because my energy expenditure is cut in half during my workout. In "recovery" mode. I think timing is a little less crucial then when I'm beating the ever living hell out of muy muscles till failure each and every day.

For me, it depends on the goal at hand. I've worked out both ways (fasted/IF, and fed). When cutting, I could go either way. However when I'm looking to add mass (i.e. lifts are 'balls to the wall'), I feel I benefit from everything a solid meal delivers - immediate energy, full glycogen stores, even water retention, etc.
    Ah good to know. Thanks GB. It hadnt even really occurred to me to think of bulking.

Ah good to know. Thanks GB. It hadnt even really occurred to me to think of bulking.
    Which I'm doing. Taking in 4000+ clean cals a day. I'm in no shortage of calories lol

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein is very fast digesting, your body absorbs it in like 20-30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    Whey protein is very fast digesting, your body absorbs it in like 20-30 mins.
    Exactly. So a little whey to help get through the cardio (unless, Tron, you're specifically looking to do it 'fasted' so to speak), which is why I said BCAA's really aren't necessary, and a slower digesting source and/or some fat along with it for the subsequent lifting. Note fat added to the meal will blunt the fast absorption/assimilation of the whey to some extent.

Exactly. So a little whey to help get through the cardio (unless, Tron, you're specifically looking to do it 'fasted' so to speak), which is why I said BCAA's really aren't necessary, and a slower digesting source and/or some fat along with it for the subsequent lifting. Note fat added to the meal will blunt the fast absorption/assimilation of the whey to some extent.
    Not particular seeking fasted cardio (not so sure there is an incredible difference unless single digit bf). Just wondering if that's what it "acted" like. I figured what I had in mind would work, just wanted to run it by the great minds in here. I knew fat slowed absorption, but I figured I had a good mixture with the whey, casein and eggs whites. And figured the time it took me to get to the gym plus cardio would b plenty of time to get the best of every part of that "meal".

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post
    Not particular seeking fasted cardio (not so sure there is an incredible difference unless single digit bf). Just wondering if that's what it "acted" like. I figured what I had in mind would work, just wanted to run it by the great minds in here. I knew fat slowed absorption, but I figured I had a good mixture with the whey, casein and eggs whites. And figured the time it took me to get to the gym plus cardio would b plenty of time to get the best of every part of that "meal".

Personally, I think you'll be gtg brother.

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

I ment if he hasn't had a decent pre workout, whey would be good pre and post workout (or during) due to its fast absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    I ment if he hasn't had a decent pre workout, whey would be good pre and post workout (or during) due to its fast absorption.
    Ahh, gotcha. Yea, good point brother, agreed.

Thanks guys, always nice to have some assurance! Lol

Thread Information