Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lucabratzi

Thread: Slowed metabolism

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member

Slowed metabolism

I've been cutting now for about 7.5 months. From 250lbs 30%bf to 196lbs. The beginning months I was loose w diet and some cardio. As time went by I tightened diet and increase cardio to :45min 5 days/wk.

the past month my diet has been pretty solid and cardio and lifts as well but the weight is super hard to drop now. I've made small tweaks here and there but not much difference.

So question is does you're metabolism slow down after a while makin it pointless to continue cutting? I'd like to hear from people w real experience of dropping from high bf or long cutting periods, or credible sources of information.

Macros
    Training days
    300g pro
    100g carb
    55g fat

Non training
    300g pro
    10g starchy carbs
    55g fat

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    The short answer, yes it does, with you been on such a long cut it would be beneficial for you to have two weeks off eating at maintenance.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi View Post
    So question is does you're metabolism slow down after a while makin it pointless to continue cutting?
    Your metabolism, over time, definitely 'adjusts' to suit current conditions and maintain homeostasis. 7.5 months is a ridiculously long time to cut without a break - I personally wouldn't cut longer than 16 weeks TOPS (preferably 12) without a break running a few weeks of maintenance, or even a bit over. Did you run a continuous caloric deficit for 7.5 months straight?

Also, 250lbs @ 30% ish to 196lbs shouldn't take you 7.5 months to attain (congrats nonetheless, I don't mean to belittle your progress). I can only assume there was a good bit of cheating in between? Years ago, I cut similarly (254lbs, 35%-ish down to 189lbs, 15%-ish at my lowest point) in roughly 5-6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Your metabolism, over time, definitely 'adjusts' to suit current conditions and maintain homeostasis. 7.5 months is a ridiculously long time to cut without a break - I personally wouldn't cut longer than 16 weeks TOPS (preferably 12) without a break running a few weeks of maintenance, or even a bit over. Did you run a continuous caloric deficit for 7.5 months straight?

Also, 250lbs @ 30% ish to 196lbs shouldn't take you 7.5 months to attain (congrats nonetheless, I don't mean to belittle your progress). I can only assume there was a good bit of cheating in between? Years ago, I cut similarly (254lbs, 35%-ish down to 189lbs, 15%-ish at my lowest point) in roughly 5-6 months.

In the beginning i was coming straight off the couch after 2 yrs of no excersise and active addiction. The first month of cutting was while i was trying to kick and second month i was in rehab.

once i got home i wasn't so tight on my diet. Didn't track what I ate and was no where near the macros I am now (was way over). So it took some time for me to educate myself again and get focused.

But I'm goin to slow bulk starting first of may.

In the beginning i was coming straight off the couch after 2 yrs of no excersise and active addiction. The first month of cutting was while i was trying to kick and second month i was in rehab.
    Same here, although I was coming off of nearly 15 years of no exercise, and my addictions were food and video games (not to mention laziness), lol! Congrats on your progress, and on kicking your addiction bro, commendable!

once i got home i wasn't so tight on my diet. Didn't track what I ate and was no where near the macros I am now (was way over). So it took some time for me to educate myself again and get focused.

But I'm goin to slow bulk starting first of may.
    Understood. Definitely slow/lean bulk if you're going to 'bulk' at all. For guys like us (with the propensity to store bodyfat faster than most), bulking will never be a good idea.

Have you read my Dieting 101: Lean Bulking sticky?

Same here, although I was coming off of nearly 15 years of no exercise, and my addictions were food and video games (not to mention laziness), lol! Congrats on your progress, and on kicking your addiction bro, commendable!

Understood. Definitely slow/lean bulk if you're going to 'bulk' at all. For guys like us (with the propensity to store bodyfat faster than most), bulking will never be a good idea.

Have you read my Dieting 101: Lean Bulking sticky?
    Thanks. I just had the convo w a friend about when I don't lift and eat "normal" I put on weight but when he does the same he stays lean/muscular. Sucks but just means ill have to step my game up.

Yea I've read through the stickies a bunch. I'm thinking that because I've been on cal. Deficient diet for so long ill ease my way into bulking. Keep prot. And fat the same but increase carbs slowly. Start w 175/day and increase as/if needed till 300g. Planning that bulk for 3-3.5 months.

What r you're thoughts on that?

My "long term" goal is 230lb 12% by end of 2014. Planning on possibly cycling in summer of 2014.

I know this is a hefty goal but I've had similar results in past and my knowledge and dedication is more than then so we'll just have to see.

Thanks. I just had the convo w a friend about when I don't lift and eat "normal" I put on weight but when he does the same he stays lean/muscular. Sucks but just means ill have to step my game up.

Yea I've read through the stickies a bunch. I'm thinking that because I've been on cal. Deficient diet for so long ill ease my way into bulking. Keep prot. And fat the same but increase carbs slowly. Start w 175/day and increase as/if needed till 300g. Planning that bulk for 3-3.5 months.

What r you're thoughts on that?
    DEFINITELY ease into it. Personally, I'd eat at maintenance for 6 months before doing it, but if you're gung-ho, at least go slowly.

My "long term" goal is 230lb 12% by end of 2014. Planning on possibly cycling in summer of 2014.

I know this is a hefty goal but I've had similar results in past and my knowledge and dedication is more than then so we'll just have to see.
    What are your stats now? Remember that as we continue down this path, gains/results slow. We don't main newb gains forever. After the first year or two of serious training (i.e. after you have your shit in check... which may be after five or more years of actual time training), most guys will be lucky to put on 5-10lbs of LBM in a year. Just keep that in mind.

DEFINITELY ease into it. Personally, I'd eat at maintenance for 6 months before doing it, but if you're gung-ho, at least go slowly
    What are your stats now? Remember that as we continue down this path, gains/results slow. We don't main newb gains forever. After the first year or two of serious training (i.e. after you have your shit in check... which may be after five or more years of actual time training), most guys will be lucky to put on 5-10lbs of LBM in a year. Just keep that in mind.

Today I'm

196lbs
    Not sure on bf. I'm gettin bodpod and rmr test next Saturday.
    If I go by the sticky pic then I'm 12% but my upper body is much leaner then lower. Im showing defined 4 pack, slight 6.

So in reality I'm prob 15%.

I like to set high goals. But I'm keeping marathon mentality. It isn't a sprint just to get to a certain #. I have plenty of years of training ahead of me to get to that goal so if its not by then it'll just be later. And I'll enjoy the ride till then.

Today I'm

196lbs
    Not sure on bf. I'm gettin bodpod and rmr test next Saturday.
    If I go by the sticky pic then I'm 12% but my upper body is much leaner then lower. Im showing defined 4 pack, slight 6.

So in reality I'm prob 15%.
    Let's say you're 12% for comparison sake - you're talking about adding 34lbs of pure muscle in little over a year. That would be hard to achieve (and actually maintain) even WITH AAS... I'm all about setting ambitious goals, but we have to be realistic too. I'm currently about 200lbs, ~12-14% and know I won't be 230lbs next year either. I'd be THRILLED to be 210lbs at the same BF% tbh.

I like to set high goals. But I'm keeping marathon mentality. It isn't a sprint just to get to a certain #. I have plenty of years of training ahead of me to get to that goal so if its not by then it'll just be later. And I'll enjoy the ride till then.
    Awesome bro, glad to hear you say this. Keep this mentality and you'll go far!

Thanks Brutha. It's nice having a bodpod around the corner so I can monitor my gains/losses accurately.

Ill also be postin new updated pics of before and after. Prob in 2 weeks. Then the fun begins w bulking.
    gbrice75 likes this.

^ looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thread Information