Thread: Fasted Cardio

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100

Fasted Cardio

All other things being equal (diet, sups, sleep, etc) how much improvement could one expect doing fasted cardio vs. unfasted over, let's say, a 6 week period?

Can you perform cardio at the same output when fasting? Or do you need to cut back some?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    All other things being equal (diet, sups, sleep, etc) how much improvement could one expect doing fasted cardio vs. unfasted over, let's say, a 6 week period?

Can you perform cardio at the same output when fasting? Or do you need to cut back some?
    This is one of those highly debated topics and honestly, you're going to get 10 different answers. I'll give you my personal opinion:

There is a place for fasted cardio in a cutting regimen. MANY pro's and semi-pro's alike use it as part of their repertoire. When BGL is relatively low and as a result, insulin is suppressed (such as when you're in a fasted state), fatty acids can be mobilized and burned as a primary fuel source. One ABSOLUTELY CAN target bodyfat using cardio. That is an indisputable fact.

The caveat is fasted cardio, IMO, should be performed at a relatively moderate intensity, i.e. steady state vs. HIIT for instance. This brings up the argument that HIIT and/or high intensity cardio will burn more calories overall (also a fact), thus at the end of the day (figuratively speaking), overall caloric expenditure is increased. While this is true, you'll also be burning glucose, glycogen stores, and potentially (but not necessarily) LBM to some degree. You'd also be wise to perform intense cardio in a fed state; essentially, you're fueling your cardio session.

IMO, a mix of both is ideal. I've said many times that my ideal cardio schedule, time permitting, would be as follows:

45-60 mins AM fasted cardio, moderate intensity/steady state

30 mins PWO (evening) cardio, HIIT/high intensity mixed with moderate/steady

5x a week or more, and with a solid nutrition plan, you're bound to make progress.

Most important however, is that you DO CARDIO. So many people sit around, debating over which type of cardio is best, more effective, etc. - which, when it boils down, the differences will be negligible - instead of actually doing cardio. Consequently, they're not making any progress.

My .02, hope it helps.

Thanks for the very thoughtful response. This would be easy enough for me to try once the summer school break gets here. I can get up and ride first thing in the morning. Seeing as I am not anywhere near pro level physique you still think it would be beneficial? Currently 27% bf (but dropping)! Currently averaging 18 miles a day on the bicycle and loving it so far. I HATE running!

I could also squeeze in some HIIT on the treadmill in the evenings after lifting.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not to rain on your parade, just a note to be careful. If you're cycling 18miles a day, and lifting, and now planning some evening HIIT on the treadmill, you're likely to be doing more harm than good. I would suggest doing morning cardio, and then either lift or do evening cardio, and try and limit the evening stuff to 4-5 times a week.

How long is your fasted cardio? At 18miles distance, you must be either going very fast, or for a long time?

You're at 27% bodyfat, slow and steady will win this race, you dont need to overdo the cardio, anyone of these along with a diet would make marked weekly changes.

Right now I'm averaging 18 miles/day 6 days a week but NOT fasting. Takes about an hour and 15-20 minutes to complete. Only lifting in the evenings with no additional cardio. I was just curious if fasting cardio makes enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. Right now I can't do it as I would be awake for over 4 hours before I could hit the bike. When my children get out of school it would be easy to wake up at 5 or 6 am and bike so I thought I might give it a try. BUT... If the improvements would only be minimal (like two or three pounds over 6-8 weeks) I probably won't do it. On the other hand if it's worth 5+ pounds I would like to try it.

I agree on the slow and steady. I didn't put it on overnight and I know it won't come off overnight.

Thread Information