So I've decided to attempt to change my life a bit in regards to weight loss, fitness and diet etc.

Ive never counted a calorie or cared what i ate in the past. but my metabolism has slowed and its showing. My question is how does it exactly work...

I've kinda learned that:

Just by being idle in an office job and doing nothing in the way of exercise an average male would burn 2500 calories throughout the day.

Now we'll say that person takes in 2500 calories a day with meals.

Is it as simple to say that this person wouldnt gain or lose weight? His weight would simply remain stagnant at whatever it was???

Conversely,

If I set my daily calorie intake to 2500.. (relatively healthy food) and I work out once doing weights in the morning burning 450 calls and one cardio at night burning 450 cals...am I to assume that ive burned 900 calories off of the 2500 calories of meals that ive taken in... And am I to assume I subtract the other 2500 calories from normal daily office activity? So total 3400 burned calories.

Is it that simple to just do the math and say that if I've burned 900 + 2500 = 3400 calories..yet took in 2500 calories through meals that at days end I would be -900 calories per day?

Now im told that there are 3500 calories in a lb. So in short by this example, It would take me approx 4 days to lose 1 lb.

Is it that simple to figure out weight loss?

And then If i keep the same work outs, but cut my caloric intake in half...could I assume that I could lose that 1 lb in 2 days?

Is this correct or am I way off with what Ive learned so far lol.

Thanks for the help