Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Java Man
  • 1 Post By Brazensol

Thread: What diet fits all?

READYorNOT is offline Junior Member

What diet fits all?

What diet can I use that will work, maybe not the best. But will get the results I want before my holiday.

I am currently;

Height 5.7'7
    Weight 13.12
    Bf% 19%

I want to get to 13% in 78 days.

What diet can I stick to that will get me these results without having to go deep into macros, etc because I always get confused no matter how many times I read it.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Get a myfitnesspal account and get counting what you put in your mouth....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Get a myfitnesspal account and get counting what you put in your mouth....
    Thanks mate, but from my point of view there is no point counting if im not changing anything I eat or if I don't have a fixed diet?

That's like saying count all the biscuits I eat/mcdonalds/etc just for fun?

haha I need some help in diet asap before I can really start to shred

195 protein
    55 fat
    270 carbs

Do 4-5 weight training sessions per week that burn 300-400 cals each

Do 3-5 cardio sessions per week that burn between 800 and 300 cals each

Those are blanket recommendations.... If you want a specific plan you need to be as detailed as possible with your training (calories burned etc...)

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I think he (baseline) meant between 800 and 1300 calories for cardio. If not, I apologize baseline. 800 - 300 didn't make sense though
    Last edited by Java Man; 07-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.

OP, some guidelines that helped me go from >30% bf to around 16% in 60 days at the beginning of this year:

Stop eating fast food.
    In case that wasn't clear: NO FAST FOOD! NONE!!

Eat a big bowl of oatmeal with 5 or 6 egg whites every morning. 1 yolk. Fresh fruit too like a banana or some berries, an orange, apple. I chop some fruits up and mix with my oatmeal.

Cut salt and sugar from your diet. You get plenty from your food. Don't add any.

Fresh vegetables. Instead of snacking on chips, cookies, crackers etc. eat carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, olives, nuts. I dip them in ranch. I even crave raw veggies now. I don't even miss the junk.

Eat lean meats. No bacon! Skinless chicken, fresh fish, lean beef (ground sirloin is 93-96% fat free on avg.).

If you drink milk, and you should since it contains 11g protein per 8oz cup, drink 1% instead of whole or low fat.

Edit: almost forgot - no soda. Drink tea, juice, coffee. Dump the soda. Its pure sugar.
    Brazensol likes this.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    3 - 800 makes more sense

8 - 1300 seems way to high for a cardio session .

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    And cardio. Lots and lots of cardio. You got to burn that fat off. I ride and hour to an hour and a half most days and am very careful in the kitchen. No junkfood. No fast food. You can do it but it will take discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    3 - 800 makes more sense

8 - 1300 seems way to high for a cardio session .
    I wouldn't know... I don't do cardio. Just saw the 8 to 3. Counting backwards as a range is what didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    And cardio. Lots and lots of cardio. You got to burn that fat off. I ride and hour to an hour and a half most days and am very careful in the kitchen. No junkfood. No fast food. You can do it but it will take discipline.
    Lol didn't mean for my last post sounding like I contradict this. I do aerobic activities that burn calories, I just don't count how many I'm burning because I'm not on a machine. Mountain biking, running, walking in sand on the beach, running up and down stairs. Things like that. I just can't run in place for an hour - too boring, but cardio is our main fat burning tool.

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    Lol didn't mean for my last post sounding like I contradict this. I do aerobic activities that burn calories, I just don't count how many I'm burning because I'm not on a machine. Mountain biking, running, walking in sand on the beach, running up and down stairs. Things like that. I just can't run in place for an hour - too boring, but cardio is our main fat burning tool.
    I know what you meant! Just wanted to stress to the op that without cardio he won't make his goal in that short of a time span.

I hear ya on the stationary cardio. I can't do it. So boring I just want to shoot myself! Near my house there is a road that is blocked off to automobile traffic. It is one mile exactly each way. I have probably ridden it for 800+ miles now and it doesn't bother me one bit. My stationary bike, even in front of the tv, is just so monotonous to me. I can't stand it!

Here is a link to a site I use to calculate my bike calories: http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/calorie.asp

It takes into account elevation changes so it's pretty cool.
    Java Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    I know what you meant! Just wanted to stress to the op that without cardio he won't make his goal in that short of a time span.

I hear ya on the stationary cardio. I can't do it. So boring I just want to shoot myself! Near my house there is a road that is blocked off to automobile traffic. It is one mile exactly each way. I have probably ridden it for 800+ miles now and it doesn't bother me one bit. My stationary bike, even in front of the tv, is just so monotonous to me. I can't stand it!

Here is a link to a site I use to calculate my bike calories: Bike Routing and Mapping

It takes into account elevation changes so it's pretty cool.
    There's an iPhone app that does all of the calculations that a stationary bike or treadmill does, even has a usb cuff you put on your arm for HR, respiration, and other vitals. Very cool. Uses gps for distance and speed used to calculate calories burned. I don't have an Iphone, my daughter does. I saw her using it one day when we were walking so I asked her how it did all of that . IDK if androids have anything similar but I bet they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    I think he (baseline) meant between 800 and 1300 calories for cardio. If not, I apologize baseline. 800 - 300 didn't make sense though
    No I meant 800-300.... Because the cardio recommendation was 3-5 sessions a week.... So 3 sessions of 800 or 5 sessions of 300.... But yeh kind if backwards I know lol

But basically the combination of cardio and weight training should add up to about 3500 cals a week.... However those cals are burned, it doesn't matter

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No I meant 800-300.... Because the cardio recommendation was 3-5 sessions a week.... So 3 sessions of 800 or 5 sessions of 300.... But yeh kind if backwards I know lol

But basically the combination of cardio and weight training should add up to about 3500 cals a week.... However those cals are burned, it doesn't matter
    That's interesting base. Is that in addition to a 3500 cal/week deficit? So 2lbs a week?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    That's interesting base. Is that in addition to a 3500 cal/week deficit? So 2lbs a week?
    Up early or still up???

Up early. I always wake up at 3:30 CST on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    No... Just a 3500 deficit total.... So eating at approximate TDEE (minus training and cardio).... Weight training plus cardio equals the deficit of 3500 cals per week... For a 1lb weight loss...

If the OP wanted to drop weight quicker I would probably take maybe 2000 cals out a week.... So 1000 from food (250g carbs over the week) and 1000 cals of additional cardio....

Got it

Thank you for all your help, this has seriously helped me..

I may have some more questions to follow though if you don't mind ... ill add them to this post.

195 protein
    55 fat
    270 carbs

Do 4-5 weight training sessions per week that burn 300-400 cals each

Do 3-5 cardio sessions per week that burn between 800 and 300 cals each

Those are blanket recommendations.... If you want a specific plan you need to be as detailed as possible with your training (calories burned etc...)

how am I meant to know how many calories are being burnt on weights training?

Oh and may I ask why carb intake is so high when I thought carbs is what makes you fat?
    Last edited by READYorNOT; 07-21-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by READYorNOT View Post
    how am I meant to know how many calories are being burnt on weights training?

Oh and may I ask why carb intake is so high when I thought carbs is what makes you fat?
    For weight training calories I always shoot a bit lower than what I really think your burning.... I call a lower body session 400 cals and and upper body session 300 cals.....

Carbs don't make you fat.... An energy surplus makes you fat...

Thread Information