Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By Captncavematt
  • 2 Post By kronik420
  • 1 Post By Sgt. Hartman

Thread: Diet colas?

Captncavematt is offline Junior Member

Diet colas?

I have bad things about diet colas for years, but never really anything from a credible source, or from anyone who could cite references, or even provide a reasonable explanation. This information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncavematt
    I have bad things about diet colas for years, but never really anything from a credible source, or from anyone who could cite references, or even provide a reasonable explanation. This information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think about soda like this. Go out to your car, open the hood and poor the soda diet or not on the battery. Watch what it does, then think about what it does to your body while it's in you.

Yes soda in general is bad for you, and diet is even worst.

It's kinda just like fake sugar. Like equal, Splenda, ect. That shit even bloats me if I use it in black coffee.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    Hmm I would like to know also.

I dont drink diet soda but diet ice tea crystal lite all day

atmjw is offline New Member
    regular soda made with sugar which is primarily glucose raises insulin levels which causes body fat however the liver can filter it because sugar is a natural substance but sill lets the gullblater produce insulin which causes the body to store whatever you eat in your fat cells however diet soda made with synthetic sugar ie dextrose or any other oses will still raise insulin levels some what and on top of that your liver has a hard time breaking that stuff down because its not natural and it doesn't naturally know what to do with it drink water or green teas but be careful with whats in them if you cant pronounce the ingredients or if it has ose in it or corn syrip try to stay away The best natural sweetener is stevia but even read the label if you buy that some of it is cut with dextrose

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    regular soda made with sugar which is primarily glucose raises insulin levels which causes body fat however the liver can filter it because sugar is a natural substance but sill lets the gullblater produce insulin which causes the body to store whatever you eat in your fat cells however diet soda made with synthetic sugar ie dextrose or any other oses will still raise insulin levels some what and on top of that your liver has a hard time breaking that stuff down because its not natural and it doesn't naturally know what to do with it drink water or green teas but be careful with whats in them if you cant pronounce the ingredients or if it has ose in it or corn syrip try to stay away The best natural sweetener is stevia but even read the label if you buy that some of it is cut with dextrose
    What?

RipOwens is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atmjw
    A little hard to read man, there might have been something good in there too.

Regular cola which is made with sugar (which is primarily glucose) raises insulin levels which causes body fat to be stored; however the liver can filter it because sugar is a natural substance, but sill lets the gullblater produce insulin which causes the body to store what you eat in your fat cells. Diet soda made with synthetic sugars (dextrose or any otherword that ends in ose) will still raise insulin levels some, and your liver has a hard time breaking that stuff down because its not natural and doesn't naturally know what to do with it! Drink water or green teas but be careful with how it is sweetend. If you can't pronounce the ingredients or if any of the ingrediants has a word ending in ose or corn syrip is an ingredeant try to stay away! The best natural sweetener is stevia but even read the label if you buy that some of it is cut with dextrose

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    A little hard to read man, there might have been something good in there too.
    sorry hope thats better

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Diet anything is the devil as it will cause the body to respond as if you are actually having sugar but you're not. Here is one (out of many studies) that shows a connection between diet sodas and Type 2 Diabetes: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

Thanks
    ~T
    Captncavematt likes this.

Captncavematt is offline Junior Member
    Over the years the battery terminal thing is something I have had thrown at me several times in response to this question. Although makes an interesting observation, it does not provide a physiological explanation of how a diet cola may negatively affect my ability to build/retain muscle or reduce/maintain body fat. The sugared soda responses steer away from the question, and kinda, well duh.
    No disrespect meant. Thanks for responding, but am looking for responses more along the lines of what tarmyg provided. More like that, or that provide physiological explanation would be great.
    Thanks.
    Indymuscleguy likes this.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    words like 'diet' 'lite' 'fat free' 'zero fat' etc. are basically just a marketing ploy, walk through the supermarket and you'll see these words on every second product, eg. a packet of potato chips has 'fat free' written on the packet, is it good for you??

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Lee Hayward has a video blog speaking about the above its interestingnto watch

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Hi,

Diet anything is the devil as it will cause the body to respond as if you are actually having sugar but you're not. Here is one (out of many studies) that shows a connection between diet sodas and Type 2 Diabetes: Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)

Thanks
    ~T
    The study plainly states it could not develop causality. The cause could be a multitude of other lifestyle/nutrition factors.

How does a product that produces little to no insulin response cause diabetes? If there were any real risk at all the diabetes foundation would no longer recommend it as a safe food choice.
    Captncavematt likes this.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Sign

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    while im not stipulating diet soda is good for you i have cut to single digit body fat drinking 48 oz + diet soda per day.. i also am not gifted metabolically..

IMO it is fine to drink from a standpoint of body composition.. maybe some people would benefit from excluding it but they are not just ur average joe like me..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    The study plainly states it could not develop causality. The cause could be a multitude of other lifestyle/nutrition factors.

How does a product that produces little to no insulin response cause diabetes? If there were any real risk at all the diabetes foundation would no longer recommend it as a safe food choice.
    I said one of many. I guess I'll have to compile a longer response with many sources but as I am on vacation it will take a week or so.

Thanks
    ~T

None those studies can show a direct correlation between aspartame, or other sweeteners, and diabetes because none of the artificial sweeteners effect insulin or blood sugar levels. At least to any significant extent. And because there simply isn't direct causality.

Keep in mind many of the studies you're referring to have questionable financial backing as well......I remember one that showed that drinking a 16oz aspartame sweetened beverage caused an insulin response like 500 times higher than those who drank nothing. What they didn't publish was that the insulin response was so small it was nearly immeasurable, and irrelevant. Simple acts like chewing or swallowing nothing can cause a similar insulin response.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Sign

Whiteboyy0 is offline Associate Member
    The whole diabetes argument is about the dumbest thing I've heard of. Artificial sweeteners aren't sugar they don't elicit an insulin response. As for studies showing possible links, think about the average person who drinks diet soda. Fat out of shape pos who stuffs their face all day with junk food and says oh look I'm drinking diet I'm healthy, but because they also drink diet soda that must be the cause not the excess shit they shovel down their throats.

That being said they're obviously not good for us, but they can be a lifesaver on a cut which would be the only time I drink soda.
    Last edited by Whiteboyy0; 09-25-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Hi,

Diet anything is the devil as it will cause the body to respond as if you are actually having sugar but you're not. Here is one (out of many studies) that shows a connection between diet sodas and Type 2 Diabetes: Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)

Thanks
    ~T
    Hi guys,

I am going to retract this statement as I clearly, after extensive reading, can not find this connection. There seems to be a lot of unknowns when it comes to artificial sweeteners and it's effect on the human body. The best study I have found thus far is this one where they are trying to test the sweeteners in more of a real world scenario.

Sucralose Affects Glycemic and Hormonal Responses to an Oral Glucose Load

I'll make sure to better informed before commenting on serious subjects like this again otherwise I'll look like an expert on bro-science.

Thanks
    ~T

"I stay mostly by myself, but it's OK, they know me here"
    Follow my personal story here: Anabolic Steroids - Steroid.com Forums - An honest journey - Blogs

Thread Information