Zodiac85 is offline Associate Member

Wife's weight fluctuation

My wife and I are both currently cutting. She is at 19-20% body fat and I am about 15%. Cutting has never been particularly difficult for me. It is very hard for her. She counts every calorie, spends 1-2 hours walking every day in addition to weight training and martial arts twice a week. She is currently using Anavar as well. Her lifts continue to go up, even as she cuts.

My question: every morning when I get up I weigh myself and check my bf%. There is some up and down, but always within a lb (almost always half lb) of the previous day. My bf% is almost always within .5% of the previous day. Her weight fluctuates up to 4lb per day, and frequently a full %. Is it something about being a woman that causes this, or something with her diet or cardio? Or maybe I'm the lucky one?

Thanks.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    My weight fluctuates in the same way and if you Google this it is extremely common and not something she should consider a problem, just normal.

~T

Blog Entries
    My weight is 4-5lbs diff in the morning then at night.

Hydration, digestion, etc all play apart in this.

Its really no big deal and nothing wrong with it.

Just make sure proteins remain high and cut calories from fats and carbs, should be good to go.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    How tall is your wife? The shorter they are the more % of body fat they lost with a pound compared to a man.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac85
    My wife and I are both currently cutting. She is at 19-20% body fat and I am about 15%. Cutting has never been particularly difficult for me. It is very hard for her. She counts every calorie, spends 1-2 hours walking every day in addition to weight training and martial arts twice a week. She is currently using Anavar as well. Her lifts continue to go up, even as she cuts.

My question: every morning when I get up I weigh myself and check my bf%. There is some up and down, but always within a lb (almost always half lb) of the previous day. My bf% is almost always within .5% of the previous day. Her weight fluctuates up to 4lb per day, and frequently a full %. Is it something about being a woman that causes this, or something with her diet or cardio? Or maybe I'm the lucky one?

Thanks.
    Lol. I can only cut at 1300 calories and intense cardio and training. Walking just does not cut it for me anymore. I need to bump cardio up to 4 or 5 times a week plus weights. Life isn't fair :/

My weight fluctuates daily based on several factors.

Diet especially carbs makes me Bloat. I have GI tract issues ( IBS, poo or no poo). Fiber, water and exercise seem to keep me more regular.

Water. I can swell up just by drinking 32ounces in a one cardio class. Sweat like crazy but my flat stomach just holds the water until can process thru. If I do an intense cardio in evening I will be dehydrated in the morning.

Food - small meals seems to keep my stomach flat. If I eat a 500 cal meal, shows in my tummy. Instant bloat.

Salt. I eat clean and never add salt. But on a cheat day if I eat at restaurant and cook adds the salt, my body just retains water.

Anavar has a tendency to cause water retention on cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    My weight is 4-5lbs diff in the morning then at night.
    This fluctuation is at the same time every morning, trying to be as consistent as possible. It's not that I think there's something wrong, just that it's a lot harder to stay motivated and it takes a lot longer to be able to see through the "noise" to know if an adjustment is really working.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Lol. I can only cut at 1300 calories and intense cardio and training. Walking just does not cut it for me anymore. I need to bump cardio up to 4 or 5 times a week plus weights. Life isn't fair :/
    Yeah, that seems to be where she's at. She is eating 1200-1300 cal a day and it's just difficult to keep that up for a long time. Then it seems like one cheat meal on the weekend and she's up 4 lbs the next day. She knows that there's no way she even ate 4 lbs of food in that one meal (she doesn't go crazy on a cheat meal), but it's frustrating. I suspect it's the additional salt in the cheat meal that contributes, but holy cow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac85 View Post
    This fluctuation is at the same time every morning, trying to be as consistent as possible. It's not that I think there's something wrong, just that it's a lot harder to stay motivated and it takes a lot longer to be able to see through the "noise" to know if an adjustment is really working.
    I would focus more on weekly averages then day to day progress.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac85 View Post
    Yeah, that seems to be where she's at. She is eating 1200-1300 cal a day and it's just difficult to keep that up for a long time. Then it seems like one cheat meal on the weekend and she's up 4 lbs the next day. She knows that there's no way she even ate 4 lbs of food in that one meal (she doesn't go crazy on a cheat meal), but it's frustrating. I suspect it's the additional salt in the cheat meal that contributes, but holy cow.

Oh man that seems like a really low caloric intake, that is the major cause for yo-yo diets and rebounds.

Just make sure to get enough proteins to minimize muscle loss and focus on bf% more so than weight.

Oh man that seems like a really low caloric intake, that is the major cause for yo-yo diets and rebounds.

Just make sure to get enough proteins to minimize muscle loss and focus on bf% more so than weight.
    Yeah, she stuggles to lose a lb a week (usually less), eating 1200-1300 cal and doing 400-600 cal of extra cardio, on top of her weight training and martial arts. It doesn't seem scientifically possible. Unless she's cheating that I don't know about, but I don't think so and I don't street any evidence of that.

She's currently getting somewhere around 140g of protein, I think. Which is hard because she doesn't like to eat that much meat (feel free to make a joke here!)

I would focus more on weekly averages then day to day progress.

Certainly. However with a goal of losing a lb a week (it's usually less), and a fluctuation of up to 4 lbs it can take a few weeks to know if an adjustment is working.

Thread Information