Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte

Thread: It appears I might be hypoglcemic, suggestions?

boxingfan30 is offline Member

It appears I might be hypoglcemic, suggestions?

Ok, I got the test done the other day after I had been noticing more and more a lot of mood swings and other issues, blurred vision, shakiness, etc. I have bad anxiety though, so it was hard to tell which might have been causing the issue. I emailed my Doctor and she wanted me to come in for the hypoglycemia test. So I went it and the results were as follows.

12 hour fasting 88 mg

Had to drink the glucose

1 hour after 137 mg
    1 hour after that 63 mg

I have looked around a lot for medical stuff on what the test should come out as. What I am gathering is that if it drops more than 45 mg in an hour then you have "relative hypoglycemia". If at any time you are at 60 or below you have "absolute hypoglycemia" of course I was at 63, but that's pretty close in which case they could diagnose me with "combined hypoglycemia" if not one of the above 2 I mentioned.

Does this mean basically that I have a fast metabolism and that is why it's dropping so suddenly? I had lifted for years until injuries came about, and now I'm very limited to what I can do, but I wouldn't have noticed this before since I ate every 2.5-3 hours anyway.

So anyone else have this issue? I know it's not a real big deal, but is there something I can take that helps with this? I take 4-6 grams of fish oil a day now which I read can be helpful.

So far on my carb list I'm staying with Oats, white potatoes (baked), I eat a lot of blueberries for the antioxidants, brown rice (non instant). What else can I add as far as variety?

Last question is, how does this affect my cardio work? I'm doing at least an hour 3-4 times a week plus two 1 hours Muay Thai lessons each week, which can get pretty intense.

Sorry for the long post, but any help is appreciated.

also to add that I do have a cheat day and eat WAYYYYY to much sugar. Could doing this once a week have made the problem worse? Can I still do a cheat day if I stick to less sugary foods such as hamburgers, pizza, etc?

no one here has hypoglycemia?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have reactive hypoglycemia, especially when I'm blasting (AAS increase insulin sensitivity). Are you using AAS?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, except that I've dropped into the high 40s shortly after having a gatorade and ice cream on an otherwise empty stomach.
    Just avoid refined carbs (or if you do have sweets, eat them alongside something more substantial).
    boxingfan30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    I have reactive hypoglycemia, especially when I'm blasting (AAS increase insulin sensitivity). Are you using AAS?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, except that I've dropped into the high 40s shortly after having a gatorade and ice cream on an otherwise empty stomach.
    Just avoid refined carbs (or if you do have sweets, eat them alongside something more substantial).
    Not using AAS, but the interesting part is that I can't lift a lot because of injury, so I'm stuck with cardio and bodyweight exercises. However, when getting my blood levels checked, my doctor went ahead and checked my test levels because of my free test being on the low side of normal. Oddly enough, my total test has only increased over the last few blood tests and is now at 902 and I'm almost 36. My free test was 120 (out of 155 max).

This was due to finding a vitamin D deficiency and being on 100k IU's per week. So it's shot back up. My last total test I believe was 866 with my free test low.

I have noticed since it's gone up that my symptoms when not eating as often have increased more often than before. Is this because the test being higher and metabolism going up?

I ride my recumbent bike for an hour to an hour and 40 minutes depending on how I feel. Fairly high intensity, but not like elite athlete intense. I also have noticed my blood pressure is more "normal" now being at 120/70 or so instead of the typical 110/60.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I thought I has HG too. fasted blood tests say otherwise. something's going on though. I go more than a couple of hours and I get cranky, a little shaky. Son is the same way.........

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I thought I has HG too. fasted blood tests say otherwise. something's going on though. I go more than a couple of hours and I get cranky, a little shaky. Son is the same way.........
    From what I had read, you fasting blood levels can be ok, but you can still have it (which I'm sure you know). As I had mentioned above. I got that info from an AU medical site. You could still have it. How did your glucose look after 1 hour and then 2?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    My fasted BGL is fine too. But an hour after I have something full of sugar is a different story...
    Yesterday I had a slushy and a nutrigrain bar (so the bar was actually helping) at work and I was at 64 mg/dl 40 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    My fasted BGL is fine too. But an hour after I have something full of sugar is a different story...
    Yesterday I had a slushy and a nutrigrain bar (so the bar was actually helping) at work and I was at 64 mg/dl 40 minutes later.
    Yeah, you could have combined hypoglycemia too it sounds like.. if it drops below 60 at any time then it's absolute IIRC, if it's both then combined... not that it matters, you would need to eat the same way no matter what type you were.

Thread Information