MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST

Quick Protein Meals - Hormel - Thoughts?? Found in supermarket randomly

Found this in the supermarket yesterday, seemed pretty good, I got it an ate only the chicken with very little gravy on it. I am not as concerned about sodium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicken hormel.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	152262

Hormel

You can see all the breakdowns here on the website protein/carbs/fats

Nutritional Information
    Serving Size: 140g
    Servings per Container: varies
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories:120
    Total Fat:2g
    Saturated Fat:0g
    Cholesterol:65mg
    Sodium:970mg
    Total Carbs:4g
    Fiber:1g
    Sugars:2g
    Protein:22g

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    It seems ok at the macro level.

However, the devil is always in the details, is he not?

Next would be to look at the ingredients and see the BS they put in there.

Always focus on whole, unprocessed food.

See any "processing" in there? Any strange ingredients that make you scratch your head wondering what they are or what they are doing in there?

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    If it comes in a package like that it is typically garbage. Go to Sam's club and buy a box of chicken breast, $1.82/lb in my neck of the woods. Take it home and cook two trays, about 12 breasts, season them, cover them and bake a 275* for 3-4 hours. Take out let cool and then pack two each in freezer bags and freeze. Remove 1-2 bags every morning depending on how much you need for the day, cook as often as needed. This is the cheapest, easiest way to get top quality unprocessed protein in whole food form. The slow cooking process keeps the chicken so juicy and tender you can shred it by hand into salads or what ever you want to use it in.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Ingredients

Ingredients: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat (Chicken Breast Meat with Rib Meat, Water, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Seasoning [Salt, Roast Flavor {Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Tapioca Maltodextrin, Chicken Fat, Flavor}, Sugar, Citric Acid], Rice Starch, Lemon Phosphate [Sodium Phosphates, Lemon Juice Concentrate], Natural Flavor, Lemon Juice Powder [Corn Syrup Solids, Lemon Juice Solids]), Gravy (Water, Modified Cornstarch, Wheat Flour, Whey [from Milk], Yeast Extract, Salt, Sugar, Chicken Fat, Maltodextrin, Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dried Chicken Meat, Natural Flavoring, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Spice, Extractives of Spices including Turmeric).

Allergens: Milk ingredients present,Soy ingredients present,Wheat ingredients present,Gluten present

REF: Hormel

Granted a lot of these ingredients are in the gravy and not the chicken:

Ingredients: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat (Chicken Breast Meat with Rib Meat, Water, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Seasoning [Salt, Roast Flavor {Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Tapioca Maltodextrin, Chicken Fat, Flavor}, Sugar, Citric Acid], Rice Starch, Lemon Phosphate [Sodium Phosphates, Lemon Juice Concentrate], Natural Flavor, Lemon Juice Powder [Corn Syrup Solids, Lemon Juice Solids]), Gravy (Water, Modified Cornstarch, Wheat Flour, Whey [from Milk], Yeast Extract, Salt, Sugar, Chicken Fat, Maltodextrin, Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dried Chicken Meat, Natural Flavoring, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Spice, Extractives of Spices including Turmeric).

What about a rotisserie chicken with no skin on it??

I believe those things are injected with a solution to keep them moist while they sit in the heat box for hours, plus they are bathed in their own fats the whole time they cook. Better than the original choice, but still not the best. For a quick once in a while feed, they are ok, but not as a staple in your diet.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    What's with all the pre cooked food? Just make your own food.

I pre cook my own chicken, it makes life so much easier. I make my cereal bars too, perfect for a snack or before and after the gym.

I'm not that good of a cook and its a lot easier on my busy schedule.

You don't have to be a good cook to cook chicken breast in the oven. Sometimes you just have to make some time, in the long run it will save time and money, plus your body will look better eating whole foods over processed foods.

What do u put on your chicken? Know of any good low sugar BBQ sauces?

I use garlic salt, pepper, dill weed, cilantro, paprika, and squeeze some lemon juice. Cover with foil and bake it for 3 hours at 275*, I let it sit in the oven for another couple hours to cool slow then take it out and uncover. You will want to use a high side casserole dish because it will be full of juices when done cooking. The slow cook and slow cool seem to keep it really juicy and tender, and the flavor seems better than when cooked fast. My pan fits 6 large breasts and I do two trays at a time. I am not a fan of bbq sauce, but I picked up the red hot bbq sauce and it is pretty good, not sure on the nutritional breakdown though.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    i have not seen these before, but i would definitely buy them and eat them. quick, convenient, high protein, low fat and carbs.

would i eat ONLY these things? of course not.

go ahead and cook your own chicken for most of your meals, if you want...but occasionally these would be fine, and better than a lot of alternatives.

Thread Information