Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BigMan65 is offline Associate Member

Are some body type genetics just fat no matter what they do?

Just curious,

Is it possible that someone starting with 20% BF could do a "perfect diet" tailored for a goal of fat/blubber loss, for years and years on end, combined which proper cardio, and that person remain a smooth fatty figure regardless of their diet and hardwork?

Is there such a thing as just being genetically and inevitably fat?

Myers is offline Associate Member
    Nope, not really , genetics would make a bigger difference when you're trying to cut to lower digits , but not that much from 20% to 10-12%.

Diet and thyroid gland ( + bunch of other smaller things , like bacteria in ur stomach etc...) mostly dictate that.

Although there are "fat" genes , that are active in some people , that's what they call 'em , they won't make you inevitably if you got proper diet,dedication and training.

Fun fact: Did you know you got a bunch of stem cells in your adipose tissue?( I'd like to call it adipose organ nowdays , since it has bunch of other properties). So yeah , one day , it's actually gonna be useful for bunch of other things except energy depot/thermoregulation(and some endocrine functions?).
    Last edited by Myers; 03-09-2015 at 02:12 PM.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers
    Nope, not really , genetics would make a bigger difference when you're trying to cut to lower digits , but not that much from 20% to 10-12%. Diet and thyroid gland ( + bunch of other smaller things , like bacteria in ur stomach etc...) mostly dictate that. Although there are "fat" genes , that are active in some people , that's what they call 'em , they won't make you inevitably if you got proper diet,dedication and training.
    I can't say I agree with you unless I am missing your point.

Metabolism is genetic. One person will gain; other person will loose; one will be stable in same diet/workout. My metabolism doesn't care if I am above or below 20%.

Lee_1978 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Nope, not really , genetics would make a bigger difference when you're trying to cut to lower digits , but not that much from 20% to 10-12%.

Diet and thyroid gland ( + bunch of other smaller things , like bacteria in ur stomach etc...) mostly dictate that.

Although there are "fat" genes , that are active in some people , that's what they call 'em , they won't make you inevitably if you got proper diet,dedication and training.

Fun fact: Did you know you got a bunch of stem cells in your adipose tissue?( I'd like to call it adipose organ nowdays , since it has bunch of other properties). So yeah , one day , it's actually gonna be useful for bunch of other things except energy depot/thermoregulation(and some endocrine functions?).
    It's funny, as a person with an underactive thyroid, I find it somewhat harder to gain weight, so I'm never sure how my thyroid issues relate to my metabolism.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    to me, goes back to the 3 body types (ecto/meso/endo) and his/her genetics

i am an endomorph, my body will hang onto fat like the world is ending tomorrow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    to me, goes back to the 3 body types (ecto/meso/endo) and his/her genetics

i am an endomorph, my body will hang onto fat like the world is ending tomorrow!
    its funny you say that because that's what the body is trying to do all the time is store fat for that day you are stranded on a mountain top or deserted island or what not that's why it fights us every step of the way when we are dieting hence why we must constantly make changes to see further results...I know you know this, im just throwing it out there...

You know how a person that just goes cold turkey and quits supplementing testosterone , will create less testosterone naturally than a person who has never supplemented synthehic testosterone?

I think the same is true for fat loss, and stimulants.

I was diagnosed ADD when I was just 5 years old, and as you might imagine, since then I have used the drugs in all sorts of different manners from alot to a little to none at all.

One thing is consistent.... Going onto the drugs, appetite is dead and weigh loss is rapid......going off the drugs after having been on them a while, appetite comes back and weight gain is rapid. I mean like 30 lbs either way in a year. Iv experienced this same ebb and flow 3 or 4 times during my life time.

Anywhoo, now i've been off for a year next month, during that time making an unintended gain from 175 to 210.

Im only very recently "waking up from a fitness care/concern coma" and releasing that i had better do something about this.

My issue and concern is, when i got off the stimulants last april, my "diet" (if you would call it that) didnt change, it was basically the same on stimulants as it was off the drugs. An example being maybe two marie calenders meals, one at lunch, one at dinner, for a combined 900 calories a day.

Now i think my metabolism is quite out of whack? Im thinking even a 2000 cal/day clean diet might cause fat gain....

BulldogMatt is offline Junior Member
    thing is, that your metabolism is down regulated when you are on a calorie deficit. In order to repair the metabolic damage you have to slowly taper the diet, 100kcal/day maintained over a week or so usually works well for me. Research reverse diet and tdee. Granted we are genetically different, but not to that extent. Hth

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogMatt View Post
    thing is, that your metabolism is down regulated when you are on a calorie deficit. In order to repair the metabolic damage you have to slowly taper the diet, 100kcal/day maintained over a week or so usually works well for me. Research reverse diet and tdee. Granted we are genetically different, but not to that extent. Hth
    Metabolism doesn't down regulate and metabolic damage is a myth for the most part.

BulldogMatt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123
    Metabolism doesn't down regulate and metabolic damage is a myth for the most part.
    It does. That's why you plateau after a while and I personally was suffering from the effects of this until I learnt what reverse diet is.
    Check the hormone leptin out and you will see what I mean by metabolic damage.

WMSuperSport is offline Associate Member
    I'm also curious about these things.
    I have to diet and work my ass off to be somewhat lean, while some guys I know can eat like shit and train shitty while talking the whole time and look ripped. Pisses me off

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Each person has a set point and set range based on genetics and hormonal makeup. You can always make progress barring any real, serious medical issue.

Mr.Anderson is offline Associate Member
    I do envy this guys - eating shit and staying lean!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    A lot of it has to do with how you grew up. If you were overweight as a child and into early adulthood. Your body has created more fat cells than say another person who was of normal weight their entire life through childhood/early adulthood.

It's definitely more easy for the previously overweight person to gain weight, you literally have more fat cells. I am quite sure this is correct but once you have created a fat cell, it never goes away but merely shrinks in size. So again that would lead a previously overweight person to be more susceptible than another person.

At the end of the day, if proper nutrition calculations have been made and a diet setup coupled with a workout program. If a deficit is there coupled with hard training and weight isn't coming off, then there is a physical problem and it's time to go see a doctor.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMan65 View Post
    Just curious,

Is it possible that someone starting with 20% BF could do a "perfect diet" tailored for a goal of fat/blubber loss, for years and years on end, combined which proper cardio, and that person remain a smooth fatty figure regardless of their diet and hardwork?

Is there such a thing as just being genetically and inevitably fat?
    No its not possible under the scenario you've given. If you actually stuck to a strict diet your body will eventually become very lean. Genetics does play a role in how easily/quickly you can achieve and maintain that. Its just easier for some lucky bastards out there, i envy them.

ggerman is offline Junior Member
    That's about me - I can eat anything and remain thin. But it's difficult for me to gain muscles. Hardgainer. Missed a snack - minus 0.5 kilo.

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Not unless you have something severely wrong with you. Almost no one has issues dropping to the 10-15% range. As stated above its knowing how to eat right and not making excuses to deviate from that. Depending on how fat you are it just takes more patience. Also stated above your body wants to save you from starvation but you teach your body at what point you are "starving".

Update:

supposedly on this carb cycle diet ( which is an averaged 2572 calories per day) considering my TDEE of 3939, i am at a deficit of 1367 calories per day.

I've also been taking tons of caffeine (coffee) , psuedoephedrine, and albuterol with an hour of fast walk cardio everyday.

Iv gained 5 lbs since beginning on 3/1/15.

Whats the deal, is my metabolism messed up from those 7 years of <1000 calorie days?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan65 View Post
    Update:

supposedly on this carb cycle diet ( which is an averaged 2572 calories per day) considering my TDEE of 3939, i am at a deficit of 1367 calories per day.

I've also been taking tons of caffeine (coffee) , psuedoephedrine, and albuterol with an hour of fast walk cardio everyday.

Iv gained 5 lbs since beginning on 3/1/15.

Whats the deal, is my metabolism messed up from those 7 years of <1000 calorie days?
    you must really be active if your TDEE is 3939.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Big man Did u increase cal by the activity mutilper in TDEE equation. Unless your work is construction or similar requiring a lot of motion, I wouldn't. I call myself sedentary cuz I sit at a desk all day even tho I work out regularly.

not sure abou the activity multiplier, i just entered the info into some website.

i do construction, in hot southern region. ( and 1 hr fast walking treadmill every morning )

didn't we work your TDEE out already in another thread?

if you are gaining weight, then you are eating too much (if cutting is your goal)

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    didn't we work your TDEE out already in another thread?

if you are gaining weight, then you are eating too much (if cutting is your goal)
    i'll try to find it, brb

okay back, yeah all the calcualtors are showing 3500-3939
    Last edited by BigMan65; 04-07-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Thread Information