Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Can't loose weight

Mrs Sporty is offline Female Member

Can't loose weight

Hi as in the title, my problem is to loose weight. One thing is, I guess I'm borderline with an eating disorder, basically my whole life. Really everyone in my family was or is very obese. It's not about junk food, it's about portion size.
    The other thing is, now finally I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism and get 25 mcg thyroxin daily. It has improved things, but it leaves a lot to desire. My doc is still testing, like pre-diabetes, why I have such a hard time loosing weight.
    If I try even a small deficit, I'm constantly hungry, really hungry, although I eat lots of filling foods like fiber rich, lots of volume.
    I have to say I managed to loose 20 pounds like 10 years ago and kept that weight, until I gained everything and more back 3 years ago. Since then it's a constant struggle. I tried low carb, vegan, whatever, always the hunger.

Here are my stats. 38yo,168cm, 72,5 kg currently. My highest was 77 kg, mostly I was at 75kg.

I go to the gym 3 times a week for 60-75 minutes do mainly compound lifts, just ad a few isos. I do one upper body, 1 lower body and 1 full body.
    Additionally I commute by bike 15 km 5 days a week. In my holidays or let's say home office which I have plenty as a teacher, I have 1-3 additional workouts, which are lifting in winter and cycling and open water swimming. Plus in my real holidays hubby and me are pretty active.

Diet is the following: 1600-1800 kcal on weekdays and 2000 on weekends. Around 100-120g protein, 50g-70g fat, the rest carbs. I eat clean mostly, cheating on weekends with protein ice, low fat chips sometimes.

First with the thyroxin I was also not loosing weight. This summer I did a hell lot of cardioid, because we had a surf course and did a cycling tour for 3 weeks, with luggage, tent and everything. So I'm down to 72kg.

I think it will plateau, once I go back to work in 2 days. At the end of last school year I tried synephedrin, it made me more alert and helped fighting the usual end of school year fatigue, but weight loss. No.

In theory, I know how to do it, but I have such a fucking hard time to deal with hunger and craving. It is getting a little bit better, still...

For example today I had 2100kcal,was biking 60km, here I am, freaking hungry.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    I have the same issue. I could eat a 3 pound 18" pizza and still be hungry. I am always hungry (even if I am not cutting calories). And it gets worse if I do cut (obviously). And even at a 500 cal cut, I will just feel tired and crappy. However, I have learned how to minimize some of the issues.

1. Cravings should be fixed by a better diet. If you are actually craving something (not just having a sweet tooth because thats in your head), it is your body's way of telling you that you are lacking something in your diet. For example: if you are craving sugar, eat more fruit and healthy carbs throughout the day.
    2. Eat more satiating foods (usually foods high in protein)
    3. You stomach stretches, which means it is harder to fill. You have to tough it out for a couple weeks while it returns to normal.
    4. VEGETABLES. Mix them up in your rice or whatever you are eating if you need to. But it is a low calorie way to fill yourself up. Cabbage, broccoli, green beans, etc. You can eat a lot of them with your meals. Keep in mind you are trying to NOT stretch your stomach, so dont eat them until you are stuffed. Extremely hard to do I know, but if you only cook enough so you have to cook more to eat more, then it makes it a little easier to stop eating.

But what it comes down to, if you are consistently cutting calories and not losing weight, the most likely cause is you are not tracking your calories properly, or you need to revisit your TDEE. Also, your body will get used to the reduced calories and weight loss will slow down, so I use diet breaks (cut calories for X weeks [usually 2], then eat at maintenance calories for Y weeks [usually 1 or 2]) to counteract this.

Good luck

Mrs Sporty is offline Female Member
    Thanks, good to know, I'm not the only one.
    Yes I track every calorie. It is true a while my diet wasn't on point, since I lost motivation.

Know I do exactly this: cut out all refined sugars and most refined carbs like white bread. For carbs I eat potato, rice, oats, whole rye bread, buckwheat, sweet potato, whole wheat pasta.

For protein lean meats, tofu, lean cheese. I fill the plate and my stomach up with veggies and fruits. Still, first I'm full, a short while later I'm hungry again.

Well I really try, but...

Husband and me went mountaineering several times and in the high altitude, above 4500m grown man where whining the loose appetite, can't eat, loose stamina. Well not me....
    Unfortunately I live at sea level.

PeanutbutterDC is offline Female Member
    I found if I cut my carbs to <30g/day and eat high protein 150g/day and mod fat 60-70g/day I dont have cravings. I am carb sensitive and any more than trace carbs in my diet and I get extremely hungry. I've lost a lot of weight like that and had plenty of energy to work out daily. Probably important to note, I eat real foods, not bars, shakes, etc. This diet is not for everyone, but if nothing else has worked you might wanna give it a go. If interested lmk and I'll post the meal plan

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sporty View Post
    --->SNIPP It is true a while my diet wasn't on point, since I lost motivation.
    Wrote this for an internal company thing but would seem to be helpful here:

Do you rely on motivation to workout? Do not! Motivation comes and, surprise surprise goes! Some days you wake up and feel fantastic and inspired. You are ready to face life, head on and kick some butt.

On the other side of the coin, you will wake up, uninspired, tired and hardly enough energy to get out of bed. Wetting the bed feels like a true option because getting to the bathroom is just to much work.

Regardless.

Motivation or inspiration is not needed if you, over a period of time, have established, good habits. What distinguishes a master from an apprentice in these matters is not motivation but action. The skillful master will find a way, despite how they feel.

Many have the understanding that motivation and inspiration have to come before taking action. Sometimes, that is not correct. In fact, most of the time it is not.

Action often transpires before motivation and that desired mental state.
    For example, let’s say one day you decide to go for a walk. You’re not inspired per se, but your brain feels fuzzy, and some fresh air would feel nice.

For the first few moments, you sort of clump along, endlessly gazing at the ground.

After 5 or 10 minutes, the brisk breeze starts to clear your brain.
    You stand taller and breathe more deeply. Your stride increases and your hips loosen up. Now you’re walking proudly. You have direction. The movement is actually giving you energy.

After 20-30 minutes, you finish that walk on a high.

Your brain fuzz is gone, replaced by crystal-clear thoughts. Your body is energized. You feel re-engaged with life and the universe. Now you’ve found that motivated mental state.

What changed? You acted first.

When it comes to change:
    Action is more important than information.
    Doing is more important than knowing.

No matter how much you know, only consistent, daily action creates change.
    Last edited by tarmyg; 08-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    ilove7ferrets likes this.

Mox_Ruby is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sporty View Post
    Hi as in the title, my problem is to loose weight. One thing is, I guess I'm borderline with an eating disorder, basically my whole life. Really everyone in my family was or is very obese. It's not about junk food, it's about portion size.
    The other thing is, now finally I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism and get 25 mcg thyroxin daily. It has improved things, but it leaves a lot to desire. My doc is still testing, like pre-diabetes, why I have such a hard time loosing weight.
    If I try even a small deficit, I'm constantly hungry, really hungry, although I eat lots of filling foods like fiber rich, lots of volume.
    I have to say I managed to loose 20 pounds like 10 years ago and kept that weight, until I gained everything and more back 3 years ago. Since then it's a constant struggle. I tried low carb, vegan, whatever, always the hunger.

Here are my stats. 38yo,168cm, 72,5 kg currently. My highest was 77 kg, mostly I was at 75kg.

I go to the gym 3 times a week for 60-75 minutes do mainly compound lifts, just ad a few isos. I do one upper body, 1 lower body and 1 full body.
    Additionally I commute by bike 15 km 5 days a week. In my holidays or let's say home office which I have plenty as a teacher, I have 1-3 additional workouts, which are lifting in winter and cycling and open water swimming. Plus in my real holidays hubby and me are pretty active.

Diet is the following: 1600-1800 kcal on weekdays and 2000 on weekends. Around 100-120g protein, 50g-70g fat, the rest carbs. I eat clean mostly, cheating on weekends with protein ice, low fat chips sometimes.

First with the thyroxin I was also not loosing weight. This summer I did a hell lot of cardioid, because we had a surf course and did a cycling tour for 3 weeks, with luggage, tent and everything. So I'm down to 72kg.

I think it will plateau, once I go back to work in 2 days. At the end of last school year I tried synephedrin, it made me more alert and helped fighting the usual end of school year fatigue, but weight loss. No.

In theory, I know how to do it, but I have such a fucking hard time to deal with hunger and craving. It is getting a little bit better, still...

For example today I had 2100kcal,was biking 60km, here I am, freaking hungry.
    Psyilium husk 1/4 cup in 750 ml water. Mix and chug in a hurry, tastes like sawdust.

Set a timer and wait 15 min.

Then eat your meal.

There is a delay between your stomach and brain when it comes to being full and some people have a tougher time with it. I'm not a doctor or medical professional but I believe I read somewhere that as your stomach stretches from food being stuffed into it, the signal it sends to your brain can be delayed by up to 20 min for some people.

Stretch your stomach with psyilium husk.

If you don't have a meal planned and are getting hunger pangs just go with the husk.

You can tie yourself up in knots trying to get an answer if there are any calories in it, the psyilium husk, it's technically a carb but it's an undigestable fiber.

Makes you shit like a champion Aswell.

It's not a sustainable eating strategy, it works for this type of shit.

Have fun.

Thread Information