• 1 Post By IronClydes
  • 4 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By IronClydes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 2 Post By tarmyg
  • 3 Post By Gallowmere

Thread: VLCD vs Keto (high protein version) vs low carb?

IronClydes is offline Senior Member

VLCD vs Keto (high protein version) vs low carb?

Endo body type here; super responsive to carbs.

What’s everyone’s take on Very Low Carb Diet (high protein, moderate fat, under 75 low GI carbs) vs Keto (high fat and high protein version, with under 50 low GI carbs) vs low carb (under 150) with high protein and moderate fat?

High proteins a must, fat is healthy but too much is questionable due to hypercholesterolemia, and carbs tend to bloat and go to fat quickly on me despite being a muscular bodybuilder and endurance athlete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IronClydes; 01-03-2021 at 09:32 AM.
    Bkwajes likes this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Depends on what you’re trying to do.
    For cutting, just use whatever the hell keeps you performing in training and not hating life as the kcals drop.
    For mass gaining: none of them. Running a surplus with high fat is fucking retarded, purely due to how human biology works. No growth assisting hormonal response, and guess what happens to every single surplus gram of fat consumed.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ^^^ especially @ ~ 9 cal/g.
    IronClydes likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClydes View Post
    Endo body type here; super responsive to carbs.

What’s everyone’s take on Very Low Carb Diet (high protein, moderate fat, under 75 low GI carbs) vs Keto (high fat and high protein version, with under 50 low GI carbs) vs low carb (under 150) with high protein and moderate fat?

High proteins a must, fat is healthy but too much is questionable due to hyperglycemia, and carbs tend to bloat and go to fat quickly on me despite being a muscular bodybuilder and endurance athlete.

In bold above. High intake of transfat, full fat dairy, or eating lots of untrimmed beef tends to push me towards hypercholesterolemia, not hyperglycemia. On the other hand, high GI carbs will push my fasting glucose up past the upper end of the normal range.

One caveat, my body is weird. I gave up pork decades ago, except for the rare times that I eat a "cheat meal" like pizza, and @ 56 years old my lipids are generally excellent. When I consumed pork regularly, my LDL and total cholesterol trended towards the upper end of the range.
    IronClydes likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    In bold above. High intake of transfat, full fat dairy, or eating lots of untrimmed beef tends to push me towards hypercholesterolemia, not hyperglycemia. On the other hand, high GI carbs will push my fasting glucose up past the upper end of the normal range.

One caveat, my body is weird. I gave up pork decades ago, except for the rare times that I eat a "cheat meal" like pizza, and @ 56 years old my lipids are generally excellent. When I consumed pork regularly, my LDL and total cholesterol trended towards the upper end of the range.
    Hey AG,

Thanks for catching that! I corrected the post as autocorrect changed it. I meant hypercholesterolemia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Personally I cut on a keto diet without exception. Just works so incredibly well for me and keeps me sane (tried pretty much everything there is To Be Honest). For bulking (to the extent I do that these days) I’ll eat a surplus not thinking to deeply about it and that seems to work well for me.
    IronClydes likes this.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    Depends on what you’re trying to do.
    For cutting, just use whatever the hell keeps you performing in training and not hating life as the kcals drop.
    For mass gaining: none of them. Running a surplus with high fat is fucking retarded, purely due to how human biology works. No growth assisting hormonal response, and guess what happens to every single surplus gram of fat consumed.
    I’ve tried bulking on a keto diet (because why not try it right?). Did just about nothing.
    PeanutbutterDC and IronClydes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I’ve tried bulking on a keto diet (because why not try it right?). Did just about nothing.
    Makes sense in my experience as well. Thanks!

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    As did I. All I got was fat, weak and slow.

Thread Information