Thread: sleep apnea

justtrnd40 is offline Associate Member

sleep apnea

I have been having trouble with fatigue for a few years now. I have had every blood test known to man plus tried numerous alternative resources. I basically live on caffeine. My wife had been telling me for quite a while that I have been snoring extremely bad. She said I would snore and quit breathing for several seconds and then gasp for air and start the whole process over again. Anyway I talked to my doctor and he lined up a sleep test at a sleep lab for me. They hooked me up with a shit load of wires and had a camera over the bed and I went to sleep. The next morning the nurse came in and said that I had severe sleep apnea. She said I would quit breathing 45-60 times an hour. I had no idea that I was doing that other than what my wife had been telling me. I don't think I had these problems until I started the hrt a couple of years ago. I thought at first it was the gh I was on for about a year. But I haven't been on it for at least a year now. So now I am going to have to sleep with a cpap machine and hopefully I will get some energy back. I don't think it will do much for my sex life but I am more of a morning person anyway. I guess the moral to my story is if your dealing with severe fatigue and can't pinpoint it you might look into sleep disorders. I have been living with this for a long time and wish I would have done something sooner. I am sure this has been discussed before but wanted to post my experience.

ebjack is offline Senior Member
    CPAP changed my life....I even take it camping

Quote Originally Posted by ebjack
    Hey ebjack, how long before you noticed improvements in your energy and sleep quality? Is there a certain cpap machine that I should ask for? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justtrnd40
    Hey ebjack, how long before you noticed improvements in your energy and sleep quality? Is there a certain cpap machine that I should ask for? Thanks

It took about a week before I noticed an improvment..

as far as the cpap machine....you will have to have another sleep study. (I had two) most home cpap machines are alike..mine is a Horizon LT

they have to determine the amount of pressure that it takes to stint your airways open. Mine is a pressure of 10 cm/h20 (a unit of measurement for air pressure)

**note...some doctors just will put you on a pressure without a sleep study and see if you improve symptomaticaly...some won't

It took about a week before I noticed an improvment..

as far as the cpap machine....you will have to have another sleep study. (I had two) most home cpap machines are alike..mine is a Horizon LT

they have to determine the amount of pressure that it takes to stint your airways open. Mine is a pressure of 10 cm/h20 (a unit of measurement for air pressure)

**note...some doctors just will put you on a pressure without a sleep study and see if you improve symptomaticaly...some won't
    Yea, I have to go back on the 27th to do the sleep study again and they will use the machine and adjust it accordingly. I am kinda concerned about the machine and how noisy it will be especially for my wife. Are they loud? and does it bother who your sleeping with? I really hope this helps. I have absolutely zero energy and have been ***ressed latley from not being able to do alot of things since I'm so freaking tired. Thanks for your input it's extremely valuable to me to hear from someone with experience with this. Thanks again.

Yea, I have to go back on the 27th to do the sleep study again and they will use the machine and adjust it accordingly. I am kinda concerned about the machine and how noisy it will be especially for my wife. Are they loud? and does it bother who your sleeping with? I really hope this helps. I have absolutely zero energy and have been ***ressed latley from not being able to do alot of things since I'm so freaking tired. Thanks for your input it's extremely valuable to me to hear from someone with experience with this. Thanks again.

My machine is whisper quiet and your wife will not have the snoring to contend with...and you will feel better

it takes a while to get used to the mask...but you will

My machine is whisper quiet and your wife will not have the snoring to contend with...and you will feel better

it takes a while to get used to the mask...but you will
    Thanks for your help.

Tbol is offline Associate Member
    Sleep Apnea sucks really bad. The only way I can see getting rid of it is
    if I drop a lot of weight and get my neck below 18 inches in diameter.

If I do that I might not have to use the CPAP. However I am glad to have
    the CPAP because I would feel much worse than I do if I did not have it.

Hell I might not even be alive at this point. CPAP is a lifesaver but it is kind of embarrasing when chics see you put it on.

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    Guys,

I had the UP-3 with a septoplasty and turbinate reduction in 2003. I just failed another sleep study and ended up on c-pap after all! I haven't ordered the unit just yet as I met with a neurologist who was an idiot and headed out for a second opinion with a different neurologist.

The first guy consulted me for MAYBE 10 minutes...TOPS. I was pissed and told him that his physical assessment was poor and his patient care skills were horrible. He spoke to me with his head down and turned 90 degrees away from me the entire time. The bill for the consult...$295. Yep, $295 for a 10 minute consult.

My second opinion is in June. I hope I can stand the cpap b/c it was so noisy when I wore it during the study. When I get to REM sleep, my oxygen saturation levels dropped to 68% (yes, sixty-eight percent). I had to drop 1/2 the dose of sleep meds until the cpap is fitted, etc.

That problem is only 1/2 of my issues right now. See my Thyroid posting under HRT section. I'm a freaking mess!

Indymuscleguy

kj101 is offline Junior Member
    I've had my CPAP a little over a year now and I love it. Overall I don't get sleepy during the day as much, I sleep better at night, I'm able to get to the gym at the same time every morning, and my schedule has been more consistent. Not to mention all the health problems that are prevented by using it.

mrbulkncut is offline New Member
    DITTO

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    no shit, its not real sexy but i tell the ladys it my fighter pilot mask

Expat is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    the CPAP has rocked my world and yes it is whisper quiet. You also don't have to put it on tight. I would fall asleep on the couch at 6:00pm and when I would go to bed I would fall asleep before I could turn ou the light. WOW what a dif it made

TrennK is offline Junior Member
    CPAP are great, My Ins had to replace 1 of mine already cause i wore it out,
    had alot of hours on my first 1, rofl.

Stork is offline New Member
    I use a Remstar C-flex machine. It's easier on the exhale. When I put on my mask I'm off to dreamland. By the way, you do not dream when you snore and have apnea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork
    I use a Remstar C-flex machine. It's easier on the exhale. When I put on my mask I'm off to dreamland. By the way, you do not dream when you snore and have apnea.

I have the same machine, I was DX 8 years ago and I had over 342 episodes at night. I did dream so I guess it depends on if you get into REM sleep or not. But now even if I am not tired, the moment I put on the mask I am out. I feel like I am trained to sleep now

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    I was so bad they just went straight to surgery, they didnt even bother with the study as they couldnt get the camera down either nostril. I had my tonsils out, uvula removed, soft pallet tightened and both nostrils bored out. Most painful two weeks of my life but it sure as hell fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    I was so bad they just went straight to surgery, they didnt even bother with the study as they couldnt get the camera down either nostril. I had my tonsils out, uvula removed, soft pallet tightened and both nostrils bored out. Most painful two weeks of my life but it sure as hell fixed the problem
    I still have my tonsils in, and was considering having them removed, they say sometimes the apnea goes away just by removing them. Then again, they say for adults, its the worst recovery,

Good God that is scary

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    yeah they say for adults its a mf er to recover from but everyone says its still worth it, and there all *****s too hahaha

Moab is offline New Member
    Been on cpap for like 5 years. Just got a new model that is like the size of a softball or just a bit bigger. If your young the mask would be hell to explain to a new date. But if your married she'll love you for it. No more snoring. It changed my life. I used to crave sugar and caffeine in the afternoons. Have way more energy now.

440Charger is offline Junior Member
    Anyone ever try the playing the didgeridoo? I believe I suffer from sleep apena as well and am going in for a sleep study soon. While searching for info on it I found several medical studies showing that playing the didgeridoo helps cure snoring and sleep apena.

http://www.bmj.com/content/vol331/is...elease.shtml#5
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1224094017.htm
    http://www.laoutback.com/didgeridoo/...eep_Apnea.html

The last link has a good video from the discovery channel on it....

I've found some didgeridoos for 34 dollars...
    http://www.didgeridoostore.com/didgeridoo_modern1.htm

so might be a viable option.... Nothing to lose except 34 dollars really :P

Damn Kale I can't imagine how you felt the 2 weeks after that. I had a brain surgery back in Oct of 06 and that is absolutely the most pain I have ever experienced after that. All the morphine in the world didn't touch the pain post op. Now I have a piece of cow heart muscle patched over my spinal canal. That's kinda f*cked up aint it?

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Damn Kale I can't imagine how you felt the 2 weeks after that. I had a brain surgery back in Oct of 06 and that is absolutely the most pain I have ever experienced after that. All the morphine in the world didn't touch the pain post op. Now I have a piece of cow heart muscle patched over my spinal canal. That's kinda f*cked up aint it?
    Jesus dude what happened that you needed that ?

Jesus dude what happened that you needed that ?
    It's called Chiari Malformation. It's a genetic disorder at the bottom of your skull. Your brain is scrunched down and blocks spinal fluid flow to the brain. They went in a cut a section of my skull out at the bottom to make room for my brain. Then they open the spinal canal and make it bigger and put the patch on to seal it up. I used to get headaches that made you want to freakin cut your head off and none of the migraine meds helped. About the only thing that helped some was huge doses of narcotic painkillers. Much bettter after the surgery but they would have to drag my ass to the hospital to have a surgery like that again. I'm 42 and it was bad for me but the sad thing is there are alot of young kids (as young as 2-3yrs old) that have to have this surgery. Take care Kale.

buffgator is offline king of mass
    I have been on my cpap for 3 years, I got it when I was 20. It made a big diffrence at first, but now I feel it does not help as much as it used to. I really want to get my tonsils out. What do they say is to old to get them out?

Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Does insurance pay for the CPAP? I def. have the apnea.

buffgator is offline king of mass
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos
    Yes it does. Between the doctors visits, sleep studies, and cpap machine I only paid 200 dollars my insurance picked up the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos
    Yep, most time you pay first co-pay, and rest are follow ups, Thats how my Ins worked, and cost me $25.

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    i HIGHLY recomend the surgery if possible. why bother being hooked to a machine every day for the rest of your life, when you can simply live a normal life and feel great? you can always go back to CPAP if the surgery doesn't work.

My machine doesn't seem to be helping much. I keep having to take it off. I believe it is a Bi-pap machine. I have to wear the full face mask and I'll wake up after a couple of hours not being able to breathe. I can't sleep at all on my back without the machine it's like my throat closes and I wake up gasping for air. My initial machine that I had first the pressure was set at 19 and the nurse who brought it to me said she has never had anybody that had to start with that high of a pressure. The machine only goes to 20. I would wake up at night and feel like I was trying to breathe while walking in a freaking tornado. I'd like to shove this machine up someones ass.

Juice08 is offline Junior Member
    I think my friend has sleep apnea. I tell him that he needs to see a physician about this. My question is sleep apnea deadly?

GO_Deep27 is offline New Member
    i had sleep apnea at 19 they put me on the machine and then i got my tonsiles removed they where huge and thats what was blocking my airway it was amazing how well rested i was after the surgery have you gone to a ear nose throat doctor?

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice08
    I think my friend has sleep apnea. I tell him that he needs to see a physician about this. My question is sleep apnea deadly?
    It can be. It's nothing to be taken lightly.

I get sleep apnea when I'm on Test. It's got to the point that I haven't had any exogenous test in two years. I just feel like crap when I'm on due to the extreme fatigue from the apnea

crypticaddict is offline Junior Member
    I just got my cpap. I've had it for 3 weeks. The nasal pillows are the way to go for me. I felt a difference right away.

shooting15 is offline New Member
    I've been using this device for three years:
    http://www.oasyssleep.com/About.htm
    It brings your jaw forward, opening up the airway passage. My sleep apnea is "moderate to severe", at 30 interrruptions per hour. This cures the problem. Most importantly, it is a lot less troublesome than a CPAP machine. It's just like wearing a retainer at night. It's also a lot easier to travel with than the machine.

dale is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting15 View Post
    I've been using this device for three years:
    http://www.oasyssleep.com/About.htm
    It brings your jaw forward, opening up the airway passage. My sleep apnea is "moderate to severe", at 30 interrruptions per hour. This cures the problem. Most importantly, it is a lot less troublesome than a CPAP machine. It's just like wearing a retainer at night. It's also a lot easier to travel with than the machine.
    i almost tripled that with 87 per hour!!......along with O2 sats in the 70's!

MMA
    MMA is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice08 View Post

5% mortality rate per year (other conditions frequently suffered)

Thread Information