matt77 is offline Member

Saliva and blood spot testing??

Why are saliva tests not used more often for hormones than blood tests? It seems to be accurate and is fairly cheap. So why is it not mainstream?

I know some of you use ZRT La bs. How has it worked out? Will your doc accept the tests or does he/she make you do blood tests too?

RNMOVR is offline New Member

saliva

The saliva tests are very cumbersome for the user. You have spit several time thought the day and you can't eat or drink at certain intervals. I used to see a homeopath (that doesn't mean he enjoyed sticking his finger up peoples butts) Dr. He wanted me to take one and it was $30-50 for the kit plus insurance wouldn't pay for actual the saliva tests. So it would have been $300-400 total just for testosterone test. I thought it was a little excessive. However, they are supposed to be more accurate and reveal more about your actual levels. All this being said this is what he explained to me and mother who is a RN and has taken several of these tests in the last few years for her menopausal hrt. Hope that helps..

Thread Information