Low BUN to Creatinine Ratio... Cause for concern?

I just happened to notice my most recent test result say my "BUN to Creatinine Ratio" is too low. [It's 7 on a range of 8-27.]

I did some digging around and came across the following:
    "Low blood levels of creatinine are not common, but they are also not usually a cause for concern. They can be seen with conditions that result in decreased muscle mass."

However, I also found this:
    "Low BUN levels are not common and are not usually a cause for concern. They may be seen in severe liver disease, malnutrition, and sometimes when a patient is overhydrated (too much fluid volume), but the BUN test is not usually used to diagnose or monitor these conditions."

I'm a little confused, those statements seem to contradict each other. Is this something I should be concerned about? Could this be as a result of living with Low T for 15+ years? Up until recently I had a pretty sedentary lifestyle due to the advanced stages of andropause . About 15 years ago, I did take Creatine for about 6 months when I was still working out regularly before the LowT really kicked in. Could that have anything to do with it?

Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 08-16-2010 at 11:56 PM.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    didnt look contradictory to me....both would have me looking into it further....so, no doc discussed it with you? this would be my first step

bump

durak is offline Member
    checkout: http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...un/glance.html

lots of stuff there... could spend all day getting educated.

Thanks for the comments and Durak, thanks for the reference.

I did see that site, it's where I got one of the quotes, but not that section. I'll have to read up on it further.

I've got a doctor's appointment Thursday to go over my test results. I suppose I'm jumping the gun a little and should wait to hear what my doc has to say.

It's just when I see things like, "signs of severe liver disease" I get a little concerned. I did have some poor drinking habits for many years and used to pound ibuprofen like it was candy after a night of drinking. That was before I learned just how nasty that combo is to your liver. That and Vetteman made a comment the other day about possible liver damage so I guess I got a little spooked. Hopefully he'll chime in here soon.

The good news is, my AST and ALT numbers are good; [18 and 20 respectively] so hopefully all is well.

Thread Information