Wireman54304 is offline New Member

If it's not low T what else could it be?

My test results

Testosterone serum 686 (280-800)
    Testosterone free 14.06 (5.00-21.00)
    % free Testosterone 2.05 (1.5-4.2)
    Dihydrotestosterone 54
    Estradiol 27.9 (7.6-42.6)
    Insulin -like growth factor 1 115 (94-252)
    Prostate-specific ag serum .4 (0.0-4.0)
    Sex hormone binding globulin serum 56.4 (14.5-48.4)
    Glucose serum 101 (65-99)
    Cholesterol total 228 (100-199)
    LDL Cholesterol calc 159 (0-99)
    I am 50 years old 175 lbs.

My issues

1 sex

Like most men in my earlier years everything worked great, never ever had any problems with arousal or erection. Over the years I noticed a slight decrease, now at age 50 I’m a shadow of my old self. Many times it just takes so long by the time everything is over it feels like it was a big production for nothing. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s great, sometimes it sucks, and sometimes I can’t even do it. This spring I went through a period of about 2 or 3 months void of any good sex at all, I felt like my sex life was over. I never though I would see the day when my wife would not be able to excite me orally.

2 my workouts
    When I was a teenager I weighed in at 123 lbs. and I benched 220 lbs. I remember actually looking forward to working out just to see how much I had improved. At age 38 I started getting a gut so I reduced my fat intake, joined the Y and worked out, I even started playing racquetball. At 165 lbs. I couldn’t even bench 150 lbs. I did loose 15 lbs. and kept it off.

3 my back
    For the last 20 or so years I have been suffering from back pain. I went to see my Dr. and he prescribed pain pills and recommended exercise. The exercise did help my back.

4 two years ago
    I was at 175 lbs. and decided to join the Y again this time everything was different, I was working out on the same machines I used 10 years earlier but the results were nothing compared to before which was far less than my teen years. I wasn’t loosing the weight either, I had to get really serious about it drinking tee constantly and using Alli I did finally loose 18 lbs. this time as soon as I stopped dieting I gained it right back. My back bothers me more than ever, I live with this pain all the time.

My situation is hard to explain to someone who hasn’t gone through this. I know what I could once do I have been conditioned to believe this is natural, it’s all part of getting older. I don’t believe what has happened to me is normal. Some of the guys I play racquetball with are in their 70’s, some weigh 50+ lbs. more than me and move around the court at twice my speed. I can only play 2 - 3 times a week because my body can’t handle the abuse. I am also always the one who has to take a break.

I’m not sure if this relates but I can’t tolerate heat. I’m hot in a light shirt when others are cold and warring coats. I may have hyperthyroidism.

Also my Dr. discovered a heart murmur about 6 years ago. I know my cholesterol levels are high, can this make a difference?

I felt sure I found the problem when I started researching T everything fit perfectly, the test seemed like more of a formality than anything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

pittbulldad is offline Associate Member
    genetics? your numbers are decent.. many guys younger have worse...

I would talk to your doctor to see if there is anything else to look..

Did you happen to check you TSH, T3 and T4? Hyp*o*thyroid would be my next to check. Many of the symptoms you describe fit; especially if you're having trouble loosing weight. Check the quiz on this site and see how you score. It might help give you a clearer picture:

http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz/blhypoquiz.htm

Best of luck and believe me when I say I understand what it's like to loose who you are and I wouldn't except the "getting old" crap either. How's the poem go? "...Do not go gently into the good night!"

Alloy is offline Junior Member
    I'm not a doctor, but your E2 level is right where it should be. Your TT is good, not optimal but good. I would call the Doc and do a full CBC and Metabolic, get everything done. This is the thing, right off the bat a Doc is going to tell you that you're not low-t. Most ppl with low-t are well below the 500 mark, some are even below the 300 mark...everyone is different. Like Mr. Pittbull stated, it could be genetic. Remember back in high school, some kids could eat anything and everything and the lunch ladies would comment "Where does he put all of it".....you probably were one of those kids. Those kids had test levels well over 1000+ and couldn't keep a pound of fat on if they tried. Benching 220lbs with a weight of 123 sounds like you fit the bill. It also could be your thyroid, you also could be one of those ppl that just works better on higher levels of test.

I would redo the blood work from a to z and speak to your Doc or Endo about your issues. Everybody is different, what works for one man may not work for another. Some people have had great success with Androgel , some have not.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    glucose pretty borderline but if u fasted....thats a bit high

ldl is quite high...hdl isnt listed?...

agree with forrest would be nice to have checked your thyroid levels....can you get this done soon?

wish u the best bro

welcome to the board

jlguitar is offline New Member
    your shbg is high and its binding up your free testosterone ,its your free testosterone that actually does all the work,in other words its free test that gives you your libido and all that good stuff,but having high shbg binds it up so most of it is not doing its job.

i cant remember whats/if any the best (prescription) to lower shgb

Thank you all for your help

I am going to have further testing done.

One correction, I assume you meant to say hyperthyroid not hypothyroid. I can’t tolerate heat at all, I truly love the cold.

I was definitely the guy who could eat anything and never gain weight.

I sent away for some Androgel , it’s worth a shot and surely couldn’t hurt.

I don’t have an Endo, I called to ask a few simple questions and couldn’t get answers, they want me to just trust them f-that. My regular doc probably doesn’t know the hormone end of this. I had the tests at a private lab out of town.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    i cant remember whats/if any the best (prescription) to lower shgb
    The best would some Winstrol or Proviron ... However, in the OP's situation it might be best to find some stinging nettle root.

Vettester is offline Banned
    BTW, look into some therapeutic doses of Niacin B-3, CoQ10, & Vitamin C to help with LDL and cholesterol in general.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    The best would some Winstrol or Proviron ... However, in the OP's situation it might be best to find some stinging nettle root.
    nothing that isnt anabolic and/or come with sides like winstrol ?

BTW, look into some therapeutic doses of Niacin B-3, CoQ10, & Vitamin C to help with LDL and cholesterol in general.
    i was checking into that and just pick some up. I was talking to the pharmacist, she questioned why the CoQ10 if i', not on statins, that you only needed this when using the statins. Have you heard this? I bought it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wireman54304 View Post
    One correction, I assume you meant to say hyperthyroid not hypothyroid. I can’t tolerate heat at all, I truly love the cold.
    The "Hypo" was intentional. While it is more common to be sensitive to cold when Hypo, the opposite holds true as well. See the following FDA clinical study on the use of thermoregulatory [both hot and cold] to asses hypothyroid dysfunction:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/co...ll/279/6/R2066

I'm like you, I've always run a bit warm and therefore, prefer the cold to heat however, I'm still Hypo.

As I stated before I'm no doctor however, if I had to guess, based on your history, if anything you've likely been on the "Hyper-thyroidism" side most of your life; which would explain why you were able to eat anything and not gain weight. Also, you did not mention your height however, unless you're significantly short, 123lbs. is exceptionally thin for a male. I would suspect therefore that as you've aged, your body has gone from Hyper to borderline Hypo, which in your case is significant. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your test results came back and you're within the low 1/3 of "normal" however, with thyroid, you need to weigh symptoms more heavily than test results. Keep in mind that "normal" range is merely an average which means someone can fall inside that range and not be normal for them. I could be entirely wrong however, I think it would be worth your while to do some research on thyroid disorders and try and go beyond the standard boilerplate references and look for the more detailed explanations, including exceptions. After all, you've been an exception most of your life.

Here's something to get you started. A comprehensive list of symptoms that goes beyond your typical list:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

Best of luck!

F/T
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 09-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.

You just blew my mind. I assumed hyper “heat” hypo “cold” makes sense right. I could talk from now till tomorrow about my inability to tolerate even modest heat. So the second anyone would suggest hypo I wouldn’t even pay attention.

Lucky I questioned you. I read the list of symptoms, it’s too long and ambiguous, I will further investigate this.

Thanks

Thread Information