Some observations and questions on HRT and the risk of over-analyzing

Is it just me or does anyone else here struggle with constantly analyzing how you feel and adjusting your meds accordingly?

I find it very tricky not to get caught up in how I feel day to day since I never seem to know for certain what that will be. Ever since I began HRT I've made some HUGE progress when I think about how I used to feel. And that's obviously a good thing however, now I find I get concerned every time there's a noticeable change in the way I feel.

For example, I finally joined a gym last month. This is *HUGE* for me since I've felt so crappy for so long that it's been years since I've belonged to a gym or even had a regular workout routine. All was going good, I've been working out 4 days a week and doing some walking on my off days then all of a sudden, for seemingly no reason I felt extremely weak and fatigued. My joints did seem to click a little so I immediately assumed I tanked my E2 and backed off the AI. However, it turned out what I really had was a full blown cold which lasted about a week. I started feeling better so I went back to the gym and now I'm back to my normal workout. [Thank God] But clearly it was not my E2, it was the cold that made me weak and tired.

On another occasion about a month ago, I switched brands of thyroid med, hoping to address some issues that were not responding to medication, and I had a bad reaction. That time too it sure as hell seemed like low E based on the symptoms. Most people on this site even thought it was that; but once I realized it was my thyroid med and stopped taking it, within a day I began feeling better. Clearly E2 levels can't go up that quickly.

Colds and med changes aside, how about those good days when everything is *awesome* and life is good but then just as suddenly, you crash for seemingly no apparent reason. It can be maddening. At times I feel like a junkie, "chasing the dragon" if you know what I mean.

Is it just me, am I over thinking this stuff and becoming some sort of hypochondriac or do most of you struggle with this in some way?

Is it possible to "dial in" that perfect regimen and feel awesome most of the time, rather than on those surprise occasions?

Perhaps as time passes and through more experience I'll be able to better tell what is HRT related vs just normal stuff. Until then, it can a little frustrating at times, just
    trying to figure it out.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 10-21-2010 at 11:58 AM.

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's a mental thing, I think. For me, I just go with the fact that nothing with HRT is instantaneous, so I try to think in a mid/long-term fashion. Since switching from the Endo to the AA clinic, it has been VERY tempting to push to increase my dosage or add oral steroids . But I just keep reminding myself of why I started TRT and how much better I feel now compared to before I started, and why risk messing that up or being greedy and wanting instant results without putting in the work myself.

As for the micro-managing aspect, I do that a lot with the workouts, diet, and cardio plans I have done over the years... counting out each calorie, tracking each lift, etc. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself to enjoy life and the actual journey and not just the end result.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    You are not alone on this Forrest. Some people get lucky right off the bat. Some have to tweak. And while tweaking I think this is when the mental game starts. What works? What does not work? Should I change the meds? Should I change the dose? Am I dosing at the correct time? Should I get more BW?

Once this new lease on life starts, it can become quite addictive as in self-diagnosing... especially the more we hang out here. I have read where usually it takes about a year to find that perfect sweet spot for many on HRT. I thought I had mine, but turned out that I did not. So...I went cold turkey which I suppose some would say was not smart. Personally I want to see what happens off of everything except the Armour. So now anytime i get anxious I think...AH HAH! this is because I am off all of my stuff!. But then again, when something makes me feel good, I think...well I am fine so...do I reallly need to keep doing all of this? So...the cycle begins again...Monkey Mind? maybe....life is strange. No matter what. So...that brings us back to square one!

caira1074 is offline Junior Member
    i totally agree we just need to live in the moment hard to do sometimes

Thanks for the feedback all. Glad to know I'm not alone on this. For the record, I really don't mess with my Test doesages; I was referring more to Adex, DHEA or thyroid meds, etc. ...But yes, it is tempting at times to give myself a little extra "boost".
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 10-24-2010 at 10:21 PM.

subnet is offline Associate Member
    f and t - I'm totally with you on this, although it's not just TRT that I constantly tinker around so I guess it's my personality. It's easy to over-think and over-analyze (especially E2 and AI dosages) and wondering if it's too much or too little or ... I've had a battle trying to get my E2 scores 'right' and decrease my acne, but then I've gone and added HCG , and at one point messed around with DHEA which seemed to make things worse. I guess I just can't leave things alone in my quest to find nirvana!

One day I'd like to get to the point where I don't have to think about it anymore - getting closer but not there yet.

bowers32 is offline Junior Member
    I fight the more is better thought.... and the bad thing for me is that the TRT program broke a phobia I had about taking any meds. Up til now I wouldn't take anything... no sleeping pills..nothing... once I went for TRT and starting injecting.. it sort of ended that and so now I have to fight the urge to take anything and everything that might "help".... went down that road a bit and got slapped around by side affects and was taught a lesson.

BOB89 is offline Associate Member
    I guess I can join this party, I think about tinkering alot, and even after almost 2 years won't say I'm dailed in.

I'm close finally as my acne is finally gone with no low e sides(.25adex every 4 days), and I'm feeling pretty good. I consider changes to dosage and frequency fairly often, but recently have been doing pretty good not changing anything. Next Bloodwork is at the end of the year, but honestly as long as the numbers aren't way over the top, I probably will try to not adjust, even if they are slightly out of spec, to get that perfect feeling cause I think I could keep searching forever if I don't tell myself, good is good enough.

crg
    crg is offline Junior Member
    I'm with BOB89....a long time ago some real smart dude said "the perfect is the enemy of good".

Also, there are so many factors that affect how you "feel" on an hourly/daily basis, you could spend your entire life chasing "perfect"..it would consume you. Also, I know guys who are on TRT and ONLY take test, nothing else and they feel/do fine. Everthing you add to the mix has sides then you have to address those with adding something else, more side, add something else, repeat, repeat....I have too much going on in my life to be comsumed with TRT, this shouldnt be a hobby in my opinion

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crg View Post
    I'm with BOB89....a long time ago some real smart dude said "the perfect is the enemy of good".

Also, there are so many factors that affect how you "feel" on an hourly/daily basis, you could spend your entire life chasing "perfect"..it would consume you. Also, I know guys who are on TRT and ONLY take test, nothing else and they feel/do fine. Everthing you add to the mix has sides then you have to address those with adding something else, more side, add something else, repeat, repeat....I have too much going on in my life to be comsumed with TRT, this shouldnt be a hobby in my opinion
    well said

Good points crg. For some of us however, it's a way of life and not a matter of choice. I suppose we could choose to be miserable again and go back to pre-HRT life but I doubt anyone would willingly choose that. But I think I get your point. As much as I'd like to feel perfect, I'd just be happy with not having shitty days. Those are the ones that wear on me. The good news is, as time goes on, I find I'm having fewer bad days and the gaps in between those days gets wider and wider. Which is great considering there was a time when pretty much *every day* was shitty.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 10-28-2010 at 12:48 PM.

bmit is offline Member
    Can definitely relate. Have been on for about 2 years and have settled on:

340 mg test week - I like having superhigh test, LOL, it feels good
    240 mg deca - helps protect the joints and enables me to lift less joint problems
    .25 letrozole ed - keeps the estrogen sides away
    250 iu HCG e3d - keeps my nuts looking right and working for when i want to go back to having kids
    1 propecia pill ed - keeps away DHT sides for hair, acne, and prostate

Just started HGH about 7 weeks ago and have ramped up to 5 iu (2 iu morning and then another 3 iu on post workout on gym days) with 25 mcg T3 every morning.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am with the OP on this and have been known for over-analyzing everything. Like you I have 'some' shitty days, but I have other issues compounding it like migraines & complications from MULTIPLE surgeries over the last 3 years. For the HRT, I too was over-analyzing everything. Recently, I've come to realize that I have a good doctor and just need to let him "drive-the-bus" on this. Owning my own business compounds it not allowing much time as it is, so this mind-set has worked so far. My life is soo busy, I just need to have trust & turn some things over. Can't over-control every aspect of my life. Check back with me in six months though lol...

crg
    crg is offline Junior Member
    TRT is no choice for me. When I started TRT in Apr my test was 151, I feel much much better today because of it. I misused/abused all kinds of juice when I was young, I'm pretty sure I put myself in this position, thats a big kick in the ass btw.

Do you have other health issues besides low test?

Thread Information