SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~

TPO positive? what on earth does this mean and what to do?

Doc called a minute ago and told me he was reviewing my BW and said I am TPO positive (Thyroid.Peroxidase.Antibodies)...I just did a quick search on TPO and am more confused. What on earth does TPO positive really mean? Concerns?and should I continue the Armour? any suggestions? THANKS!

Vettester is offline Banned
    Never heard of it myself. What's your initial interpretation of it? Did the doctor at least give you an idea that this is something easy to work with, or is it fairly complicated? Either way, sorry to hear this.

Thanks Vetteman...I have no idea yet...am waiting for another call while looking at my BW again trying to figure all of this out.

subnet is offline Associate Member
    Slimmer - just did a quick search and found a few things relating to positive TPO, but thought I'd post a few paragraphs here.

What is the thyroid peroxidase test?
    Thyroid peroxidase test is a test that measures the level of an antibody that is directed against thyroid peroxidase (TPO).

Autoantibodies to thyroid peroxidase (TPOAb) are produced within the body. The presence of TPOAb in the blood reflects a prior attack on the thyroid tissue by the body's immune system.

What does a positive thyroid peroxidase test mean?
    •Most people with chronic thyroiditis (70%-90%) display a positive TPO test. The test is also positive in lesser numbers of people with other thyroid diseases.
    •Other autoimmune disorders that may cause a positive TPOAb test include:
    ◦Sjogren's syndrome,
    ◦lupus,
    ◦rheumatoid arthritis, and
    ◦pernicious anemia.

•About 3% of people with a positive TPOAb test show no evidence of disease.
    •The chance of having a positive TPOAb test is greater in females and increases with age.

And another bit from a different site:

Results
    •A TPO test will read as positive if a thyroiditic condition exists. In patients who have hypothyroidism, this is indicative of Hashimoto's disease. In hyperthyroid patients, this is indicative of the autoimmune condition of Graves' disease. Moderate thyroid peroxidase levels may indicate that a patient has thyroid cancer, anemia, rheumatoid arthritis or Type 1 diabetes. A high level of thyroid peroxidase means that a patient has Graves' disease or Hashimoto's disease

Here's more:
    Thyroid peroxidase antibody: TPOAb
    Hashimoto’s thyroiditis; Graves’ disease When patient has symptoms suggesting hypothyroidism; when a doctor is considering starting a patient on a drug therapy that has associated risks of developing hypothyroidism when thyroid peroxidase antibodies are present, such as lithium, amiodarone, interferon alpha, or interleukin-2 Has been associated with reproductive difficulties, such as miscarriage, preeclampsia, premature delivery, and in-vitro fertilization failure.

So I am definitely out of my league on this, and I don't mean to cause more concern, but it sounds like something that could potentially be an issue at some point. Hope the Dr. can give you more and good info.
    Last edited by subnet; 10-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.

THANKS SUBNET!!! I appreciate your research...I plan to start another thread with my BW results since I now have them..

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    THANKS SUBNET!!! I appreciate your research...I plan to start another thread with my BW results since I now have them..
    I have limited knowledge on thyroid issues - what I do know is that TPO antibodies and hashimotos go hand in hand. Thyroiditis is a broad term that seems to include many forms of thyroid conditions due to auto immune issues. You might ask your doctor about LDN (low dose naltrexone.) Some have had good success lowering their TPO's with it. Regardless,the information on it shows it to be very cancer fighting and can generate a higher sense of wellbeing.

Hashimotos accounts for a large percentage of thyroid issues. It seems to be quite common. Usually TPO's are tested along with TSH, and the free T3's and 4's. I'm surprised your Doc did not rule out Hashi's from the get go. Armour is still a suitable medicine to use for this condition. You are just learning more about the 'why's' to your thyroid test levels now I guess.
    Last edited by PPC; 10-27-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Oh man PPC...thanks for your input about a low dose of naltrexone..I will do a search on this asap...I hope I do not have something really wrong. Now I am scared a bit I admit..I have read about Hashmintos but have not really digested it...but...again I appreciate your knowledge as always...

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Don't be scared. You're okay. I have a close friend with Hashi's. The thyroid meds contol it, however they do not help the underlying auto immune condition. Many people have auto immune issues - hashi's is just one of hundreds ranging from very mild to extremely severe but hashi's is not too much of a scary diagnosis - I know it can seem that way. Hashi's, if managed with the right thyroid medication will not be a progressively worsening illness as far as I know.

I need to get into see a top notch Endocrinologist.. just a sec ago sent an email to someone to help get the ball rolling.. ..autoimmune sounds so horrible...when the doc called they said to simply just keep taking my Armour....well it sounds to me like it is more involved than that...

thanks for telling me not to worry!

Thread Information