Black is offline Anabolic Member

TRT and SSRIs....Again

I know its been vaguely discussed on here, but I couldn't find the post(s). Is anyone here currently on TRT and an SSRI? In a lot of cases, TRT itself can change things for the better (end depression) and then an SSRI may not be needed.

However, what about someone with an anxiety disorder? Just curious who here takes an SSRI along with their TRT therapy? And for what reason do they take the SSRI?

Bigfoot66 is offline Junior Member
    I am currently on 100 mg of Zoloft augmented with 150 mg of Wellbutrin. Mine is for a combination of a lot of things...all I attribute to a low T which caused an inhibited puberty and everything that comes with it. A lot I think is effects of a rough childhood. I sometimes wonder if I could get off of them but I'm not willing to take the risk of messing up what's going good. Again, TRT changes everything. And yes, it is good to feel normal. Be careful about trying to self diagnose or prescribe an SSRI...they are he'll to get off of..

Before TRT, I was on Lexapro and then changed to Cymbalta. My symptoms (anxietx related) were relieved with the Lexapro. When I was changed to Cymbalta, I didn't like the way they made me feel, so I tapered off (I wanted to be done with SSRIs for good). I then started TRT shortly after and all was well for awhile. Then the past couple months, the anxiety has returned. Its more of a Social Anxiety Disorder (I believe) and its been debilitating. I owe a lot to my childhood as well.

So I take it that the SSRIs dont interact (physically or psychologically) with your TRT? Also, who prescribed your meds (SSRI) if you don't mind me asking?

i take lexapro,wellbutrin and valium for depression,anxiety disorders and panic attacks,and im on TRT,have been on trt for 4 years,hasnt made one differnce how i feel either,im still under the depressed feeling etc.....but 2 weeks ago i had my estrogen levels checked and they were like 6 times the normal range high,so im getting that under control now,and hopefully i will start to feel better soon

swllce is offline Associate Member
    Sorry for hijacking,but would anyone here inform their Psycologist about being on a trt protocol.
    Or is it best to keep it on the QT ,so one can have the best of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye Forever View Post
    i take lexapro,wellbutrin and valium for depression,anxiety disorders and panic attacks,and im on TRT,have been on trt for 4 years,hasnt made one differnce how i feel either,im still under the depressed feeling etc.....but 2 weeks ago i had my estrogen levels checked and they were like 6 times the normal range high,so im getting that under control now,and hopefully i will start to feel better soon
    It's the estrogen causing the problem. Mine was high and it affected me drastically. When it's low I feel 300 percent different..and 100 percent better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    Before TRT, I was on Lexapro and then changed to Cymbalta. My symptoms (anxietx related) were relieved with the Lexapro. When I was changed to Cymbalta, I didn't like the way they made me feel, so I tapered off (I wanted to be done with SSRIs for good). I then started TRT shortly after and all was well for awhile. Then the past couple months, the anxiety has returned. Its more of a Social Anxiety Disorder (I believe) and its been debilitating. I owe a lot to my childhood as well.

So I take it that the SSRIs dont interact (physically or psychologically) with your TRT? Also, who prescribed your meds (SSRI) if you don't mind me asking?
    I PMed you the info u need.

Quote Originally Posted by vickenkalle View Post
    Sorry for hijacking,but would anyone here inform their Psycologist about being on a trt protocol.
    Or is it best to keep it on the QT ,so one can have the best of both worlds?
    I don't have a psychologist, but I've been thinking about this as well. If it were a perfect world, then yes, you should inform them. However, with different perceptions on TRT (mainly because of lack of education), you don't know how one will respond to that. A psychologist who isn't well versed in hormone therapy may just blame all your problems on the testosterone . Sounds stupid, but it definitely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot66 View Post
    It's the estrogen causing the problem. Mine was high and it affected me drastically. When it's low I feel 300 percent different..and 100 percent better.
    thanks man,for the vote of confidence!!! i will be looking forward to feeling better,cause im taking aromasin 37.5mg ed to get it down,when i got it checked the first time it was 126.5pg/ml out of 10-50pg/ml!! and i started the aromasin on april 20th and today i got my estrogen levels checked again,so i hope when i get the results its down a little,i know ive lost 8 lbs of water bloat and swelling from my face and stomach from using the aromasin

meathead320 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot66 View Post
    I am currently on 100 mg of Zoloft augmented with 150 mg of Wellbutrin. Mine is for a combination of a lot of things...all I attribute to a low T which caused an inhibited puberty and everything that comes with it. A lot I think is effects of a rough childhood. I sometimes wonder if I could get off of them but I'm not willing to take the risk of messing up what's going good. Again, TRT changes everything. And yes, it is good to feel normal. Be careful about trying to self diagnose or prescribe an SSRI...they are he'll to get off of..
    If anything that Wellbutrin can put libido through the roof, even in men with Low-T and even females.

The Zoloft can shut you down however.

Anyway, having E2 in range, and Testosterone in range, and the increase dopamine Wellbutrin gives you could turn you into a raging hardon zombie.

Wellbutrin is not an SSRI so far as I know, Bupropin (Wellbutrin) keeps the brain from getting rid of dopamine, allowing levels to stay higher. I would expect a similar effect to caber.

Quote Originally Posted by meathead320 View Post
    If anything that Wellbutrin can put libido through the roof, even in men with Low-T and even females.

The Zoloft can shut you down however.

Anyway, having E2 in range, and Testosterone in range, and the increase dopamine Wellbutrin gives you could turn you into a raging hardon zombie.

Wellbutrin is not an SSRI so far as I know, Bupropin (Wellbutrin) keeps the brain from getting rid of dopamine, allowing levels to stay higher. I would expect a similar effect to caber.
    excatly...wellbutrin is not an ssri,and it does help with a better sex life,if everything else is in check

Thread Information