Tbound is offline Junior Member

My sleep pattern is severly jacked up!

Like the title states my sleep is way off. I'm new to TRT (2 shots and not even a month into it) but this is seriously taking its toll on my work outs and life in general. I don't know what happened, the first week of TRT I slept great! but the last 5 nights have me frustrated. Can anyone shed some light on this or maybe relate? Also, I haven't been going overboard in the gym either so over training shouldn't be the issue....spending only 45minutes per workout due to the fact that I'm easing back into working out.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    check blood pressure

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How long ago did you start working out again? When I started working out again I couldn't sleep at night. Took a couple weeks to figure out the issue. Started taking whey protein (low carbs) mix right after working out and that did wonders for me. For me, my protien intake just wasn't enough. After adding the 30g of whey things were better. Need to take the protein within 30 minutes after workout.

Bingo my brother!!.....The first week after my first shot I got I DID NOT workout!!.....and slept better than I had in a LONG while. Then (in week 2) I started back to working out again and now my sleeps off.....maybe this is it but damn what do ya do?? I've been hitting the whey hard directly after wo's so I don't know??
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoBlueMilk View Post
    How long ago did you start working out again? When I started working out again I couldn't sleep at night. Took a couple weeks to figure out the issue. Started taking whey protein (low carbs) mix right after working out and that did wonders for me. For me, my protien intake just wasn't enough. After adding the 30g of whey things were better. Need to take the protein within 30 minutes after workout.

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What you are experiencing does pass after your body gets used to working out again. It should be better after about 2 weeks. I am not exactly sure why this issue arises. When I started working out again I wasn't doing HRT yet. After about a week I told my trainer about the sleep issue and he just smiled like he had heard it many times before. Told me to do the whey right after a workout. Said my body would adjust but needed the protein to help out.

Try some melatonin pills before bedtime to help you get to sleep. This problem will pass and you won't need the melatonin after a couple weeks.

Unfortunately, insomnia is not an uncommon side effect with TRT. I had it bad for a LONG time and working out had nothing to do with it. I even tried Lunesta and Ambien. Neither worked. Finally, after more than a year, I began sleeping better. HCG seems to help too. Now I sleep better than I have in years.

Yeah I had to go and refil my Ambien......just one of the many meds I'm trying to break away from by going with TRT....Thanks for the info, bro.
    What you are experiencing does pass after your body gets used to working out again. It should be better after about 2 weeks. I am not exactly sure why this issue arises. When I started working out again I wasn't doing HRT yet. After about a week I told my trainer about the sleep issue and he just smiled like he had heard it many times before. Told me to do the whey right after a workout. Said my body would adjust but needed the protein to help out.

Try some melatonin pills before bedtime to help you get to sleep. This problem will pass and you won't need the melatonin after a couple weeks.

More than a year!!!?......Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Unfortunately, insomnia is not an uncommon side effect with TRT. I had it bad for a LONG time and working out had nothing to do with it. I even tried Lunesta and Ambien. Neither worked. Finally, after more than a year, I began sleeping better. HCG seems to help too. Now I sleep better than I have in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbound View Post
    Yeah I had to go and refil my Ambien......just one of the many meds I'm trying to break away from by going with TRT....Thanks for the info, bro.
    so you've even had a past with sleep issues as well....sucks bro...hope you get through it...i'm having a lil bit a probs lately...think snoring...gettin that fatigue during the day from lack of sleep

More than a year!!!?......Damn.
    Yah, it sucked pretty bad, I suffered with insomnia for almost 15 years before even beginning TRT. The TRT only made it worse, I'm talking waking every 30 mins feeling like I'd slept an entire night and never getting more than 3 hours sleep a night. It was hell. Now, thank God, I can sleep through the night again. My case was extreme, but yes, a lot of people do have insomnia, snoring and even sleep apnea issues with TRT, but it does seem to improve over time. Best of luck.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 06-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.

I have problems with sleeping also but if i take melanotonin 2 caps(6mg) i'll sleep just fine. You could look it up and try it.

I've taken Melatonin before and didn't even get sluggish.....but it was because I had been taking Ambien....may need to try it again..
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk View Post
    I have problems with sleeping also but if i take melanotonin 2 caps(6mg) i'll sleep just fine. You could look it up and try it.

Yeah my wife has been telling me that she hears me "gaging" sometime when I'm asleep.....I guess this falls into the sleep apnea catagory?
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Yah, it sucked pretty bad, I suffered with insomnia for almost 15 years before even beginning TRT. The TRT only made it worse, I'm talking waking every 30 mins feeling like I'd slept an entire night and never getting more than 3 hours sleep a night. It was hell. Now, thank God, I can sleep through the night again. My case was extreme, but yes, a lot of people do have insomnia, snoring and even sleep apnea issues with TRT, but it does seem to improve over time. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice.

So how do you go about weighing your options to workout or not to???.....I mean on days when the night before you've slept like crap??....I want to get the most out of this treatment but don't want to over train....injure myself....ALL of which would aggravate the sleep problem. So tell me do you....or anyone reading this....just go all militant and workout regardless of sleep.....I know this is probably the age old question here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    so you've even had a past with sleep issues as well....sucks bro...hope you get through it...i'm having a lil bit a probs lately...think snoring...gettin that fatigue during the day from lack of sleep

So how do you go about weighing your options to workout or not to???.....I mean on days when the night before you've slept like crap??....I want to get the most out of this treatment but don't want to over train....injure myself....ALL of which would aggravate the sleep problem. So tell me do you....or anyone reading this....just go all militant and workout regardless of sleep.....I know this is probably the age old question here.
    if i'm not rested enough i wont lift...i get in to the gym 4 days a week and realize that this is perfect amount of lifting for me....i do cardio after lifting for 30min and realize to reach my goal i need a bit more than that due to my not so perfect diet...i am entertaining the thought of biking to the gym in the morning first thing and 30 min of additional cardio before breakfast 2-3 times a week to pick up the slack...

but bro... sleep apnea needs to be fixed your training or not it is a serious health issue/risk

if i'm not rested enough i wont lift...i get in to the gym 4 days a week and realize that this is perfect amount of lifting for me....i do cardio after lifting for 30min and realize to reach my goal i need a bit more than that due to my not so perfect diet...i am entertaining the thought of biking to the gym in the morning first thing and 30 min of additional cardio before breakfast 2-3 times a week to pick up the slack...

but bro... sleep apnea needs to be fixed your training or not it is a serious health issue/risk
    I guess I'd lived with so little sleep for so long that I didn't even think about it. I'd just go to the gym and I can tell the days when I'm just not up to snuff. So I ease up a bit on the amount of weight I use but stick with the usual regimen as best I can. 1-1 1/2 hour of weights 3x a week. I try to keep my heart rate up above 110 to 135 bpm during workouts. I used to be hard core into cardio but my body is still working back to that point. Getting better all the time though. Gotta love TRT/HRT. I seriously feel about 10 to 15 years younger than my chron age and at least 40 years younger physically, than I felt before TRT/HRT.

biggymrat is offline Junior Member
    I will usually lift no matter what unless I am very ill throwing up. I love lifting weights! On cardio days though, if I am tired I'll skip it.

subnet is offline Associate Member
    Be really careful with the Ambien Tbound. I started very slow with it using it only on the night before an important meeting or similar to make sure I got a good night's sleep, then gradually started needing it more often to sleep, until I required it every day and then I still slept like sh!t. Getting off it was brutal - like a week of no sleep practically.

I like this, Forrest......you say that you go in pretty much regardless of sleep because you've grown accustomed to it but that you feel it out upfront and go by that.....and if not feeling 100% ease up a bit......Good info....some of the best info is just good common sense. I think I'll give this a try versus just absolutely not training.QUOTE=forrest_and_trees;5669559]I guess I'd lived with so little sleep for so long that I didn't even think about it. I'd just go to the gym and I can tell the days when I'm just not up to snuff. So I ease up a bit on the amount of weight I use but stick with the usual regimen as best I can. 1-1 1/2 hour of weights 3x a week. I try to keep my heart rate up above 110 to 135 bpm during workouts. I used to be hard core into cardio but my body is still working back to that point. Getting better all the time though. Gotta love TRT/HRT. I seriously feel about 10 to 15 years younger than my chron age and at least 40 years younger physically, than I felt before TRT/HRT.[/QUOTE]

Same as I, my unknown friend....same as I. I have been taking this junk off and on for 3 years now and mine started exactly like you stated. Breaking away from this is a must and I thought(and still feel positive) that TRT would help. I'm new to TRT so I'm still gonna give it an honest try. But yeah man, I'm not planning on getting back into taking this crap every night.....Good advice, Sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by subnet View Post
    Be really careful with the Ambien Tbound. I started very slow with it using it only on the night before an important meeting or similar to make sure I got a good night's sleep, then gradually started needing it more often to sleep, until I required it every day and then I still slept like sh!t. Getting off it was brutal - like a week of no sleep practically.

Subscribed to the same thought process at 32......Got damn....did I just play the age card!!???.....Geez, first time ever....lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggymrat View Post
    I will usually lift no matter what unless I am very ill throwing up. I love lifting weights! On cardio days though, if I am tired I'll skip it.

I read one of your posts.....and I remembered you saying something about a sleep study??....and that the thing was some ridiculous price??...was this an option you were looking into due to you thinking you had Sleep Ap?.....and did you end up having the study done??...May want to look into this as an option for myself.

I read one of your posts.....and I remembered you saying something about a sleep study??....and that the thing was some ridiculous price??...was this an option you were looking into due to you thinking you had Sleep Ap?.....and did you end up having the study done??...May want to look into this as an option for myself.
    yes...i have posted about personal knowledge of someone having a sleep study done, proven to have apnea and got fitted for a mask that will make sleep 100% better...

i havent had it done myself....i had insurance at one time and even with the study came with a 500 dollar co pay and never did it...

theres several threads on this site vouching for the good c pap machines(mask) bring

Thread Information