APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member

Cool TRT Drugs & your State's Controlled Substance Prescribing Laws

I urge anyone that is just starting TRT to Google: "Prescribing controlled substances in (enter your State)." From there, study the prescribing laws in your particular State for the TRT Drugs being prescribed by your Doctor "before" you have them filled at the Pharmacy.

While this may not apply to Compounding Pharmacies, I & others on this forum with insurance have experienced problems getting TRT scripts filled @ Chain Drug Stores such as CVS etc. Over the past two years I've experienced numerous problems in getting Test Cyp 10ml vials filled because the Pharmacist on-site would say; "We can't fill any controlled substance in amounts greater than a 30 Day supply." I would get around this problem by going to different pharmacies, but the issue would always re-surface once a new Pharmacist came on-staff or when they decided to interpret the laws in a different manner. Since my script is for Test Cyp .5 ml e4d, they would try and give me 4 x 1 ml vials to last only 30 Days as they were interpreting State Law. Getting the script filled every 4 weeks is not only a PITA, but I would incur additional cost as a result.

The other night I finally did the Google search described above and guess what? All the Pharmacies in my particular State have been flat-out wrong. In fact, my State not only allows a 90 Day supply of Test Cyp, but my Doctor can even prescribe me 6 Months worth on one script if he wants. The specific law even directly mentions "Anabolic Steroids & HCG for Hormone deficiency in Males" as long as a correct Diagnosis Code is placed on the physical Script. I'm sure other States may have similar laws in place that pertain specifically to TRT and/or Controlled Substances.

Let me tell you, I showed this print-out to my Pharmacists and their jaws hit the floor. They've had it wrong all along. One of the two I showed could not even believe it until he called the Phone Number for the Dept of Health that was listed on the print-out. Not only have I been getting screwed all this time, but imagine how many other patients go through this on a regular basis for TRT & other Drugs? Amazing isn’t it and it was all for nothing. It sure felt good to see their faces.

Like most everything with TRT, do your research! It will save you many headaches down the road. I'm just annoyed it took me so long to find this out.
    Last edited by APIs; 01-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Good job on your part! It pays to do the research.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Amen. You gotta remember that the big chain employees are like robots for the most part and are scared to death of losing their jobs so will ALWAYS err on the side of caution. That is why independent stores are more up to date on regulations.

brazey is offline Steroid.com's Official Greeter
    Good post.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thanks guys. What kills me is the fact that the law actually makes exceptions for Test & HCG specifically for men on TRT and these idiots had it wrong all along. All the headaches I've had over this crap @ multiple pharmacies just irritates me to no end. And never mind TRT, the law also applies to Narcotics & Pain Management. Imagine all the people who require these products for legit reasons & experience the same situation? It's always the innocent person that's getting screwed & inconvenienced...
    Last edited by APIs; 01-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I love my state. I can get Test scripts filled at the local chain pharms, and I can even go in and buy needles w/o a prescription! Gotta love it.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Yeah. I checked New York State, and it is the same. Doctors can write three months supply of pain meds and hCG , and six months supply of steroids .

https://regs.health.ny.gov/content/s...d-v-substances

Title: Section 80.67 - Schedule II and certain other substances

(d)(1) A practitioner may issue a prescription for up to a three month supply of a controlled substance, including chorionic gonadotropin, or up to a six month supply of an anabolic steroid if used in accordance with the directions for use, provided that the prescription has been issued for the treatment of:
    (i) panic disorders, designated as code A;
    (ii) attention deficit disorder, designated as code B;
    (iii) chronic debilitating neurological conditions characterized as a movement disorder or exhibiting seizure, convulsive or spasm activity, designated as code C;
    (iv) relief of pain in patients suffering from conditions or diseases known to be chronic or incurable, designated as code D;
    (v) narcolepsy, designated as code E; or
    (vi) hormone deficiency states in males, gynecologic conditions that are responsive to treatment with anabolic steroids or chorionic gonadotropin, metastatic breast cancer in women, anemia and angioedema, designated as code F.
    (2) Such prescription shall specify the condition being treated on the face of the prescription. The practitioner issuing such prescription shall either:
    (i) specify the name of such condition on the face of the prescription; or
    (ii) specify a code on the prescription to denote the condition for which the prescription has been issued, in accordance with codes designated in paragraph (d)(1) of this section.
    (3) Either the name of the condition or one of the designated codes shall fulfill the requirement in:
    (i) section 3332(3) of the Public Health Law for the specific condition to be given on the face of the prescription; and
    (ii) section 3333(1) of the Public Health Law for the statement that the controlled substance has been prescribed to treat one of the conditions that have been enumerated by the regulations of the commissioner as warranting the prescribing of greater than a 30 days' supply of a controlled substance.

80.69 Schedule III, IV and V substances.

(d)(1) A practitioner may issue a prescription for up to a three month supply of a controlled substance if used in accordance with the directions for use, provided that the prescription has been issued for the treatment of:
    (i) panic disorders, designated as code A;
    (ii) attention deficit disorder, designated as code B;
    (iii) chronic debilitating neurological conditions characterized as a movement disorder or exhibiting seizure, convulsive or spasm activity, designated as code C;
    (iv) relief of pain in patients suffering from conditions or diseases known to be chronic or incurable, designated as code D;
    (v) narcolepsy, designated as code E; or
    (vi) hormone deficiency states in males, gynecologic conditions that are responsive to treatment with anabolic steroids or chorionic gonadotropin, metastatic breast cancer in women, anemia and angioedema, designated as code F.
    (2) Such prescription shall specify the condition being treated on the face of the prescription. The practitioner issuing such prescription shall either:
    (i) specify the name of such condition on the face of the prescription; or
    (ii) specify a code on the prescription to denote the condition for which the prescription has been issued, in accordance with codes issued by the department.
    (3) Either the name of the condition or one of the designated codes shall fulfill the requirement in:
    (i) section 3332(3) of the Public Health Law for the specific condition to be given on the face of the prescription; and
    (ii) section 3333(1) of the Public Health Law for the statement that the controlled substance has been prescribed to treat one of the conditions that have been enumerated by the regulations of the commissioner as warranting the prescribing of greater than a 30 days' supply of a controlled substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information