eightythree is offline Junior Member

Environmental Estrogens

So I was doing some research on different products containing estrogen-like compounds and it seems they are everywhere, plastics, foods, etc. etc. For men, do we really need to watch our collective ass for this stuff? Does it have a meaningful impact on our long term hormonal health?

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    CNN just ran a piece today that the FDA has banned Bisphenol-A in all bottles/cups for infants. Research suggests this compound readily found in plastics mimicks Estrogen in the body & can severely alter hormone levels. I wouldnt doubt this being a major culprit, as it's in everything. While a good step, this compound can still be found in containers that store food/drinks for adults (including cans). It's unlikely that we can totally escape it...

I actually saw something similar recently. I might be a little paranoid, but I avoid storing food or drinking out of plastics with the #7 on them.

From Wikipedia :

"In general, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are very unlikely to contain BPA. Some, but not all, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 3 or 7 may be made with BPA."[30]

Type 7 is the catch-all "other" class, and some type 7 plastics, such as polycarbonate (sometimes identified with the letters "PC" near the recycling symbol) and epoxy resins, are made from bisphenol A monomer.[7][31]

Type 3 (PVC) also may contain bisphenol A as an antioxidant in plasticizers.[7] This refers to "flexible PVC", but not for rigids such as pipe, windows, and siding.

You hear a lot about Soy and soy products as well, but as far as I know, fermented soy (like soy sauce, which is pretty much the only soy product I use) is safe to eat.

Soy and Flax are both estrogen mimics and should be avoided.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdevine
    Soy and Flax are both estrogen mimics and should be avoided.
    Looks like I'll be dropping my current peanut butter as it is fortified with flax seed and oil.

redhawk01 is offline Member
    considering all the chemicals in the food we eat now a days, let alone everyday products we use, it's no wonder why we have half the test our grandfathers did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Looks like I'll be dropping my current peanut butter as it is fortified with flax seed and oil.
    Yep...

Ace111 is offline Junior Member
    Watch this documentary if you haven't seen it - The Disappearing Male.
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-disappearing-male/

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace111 View Post
    This stuff is depressing, and sad I have to be on HRT because of environmental factors I had no control over, or did have a clue about as a child. I can try to do better for my children but it will be hard.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace111 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Amazing stuff! Scary to hear these experts talk of the actual "extinction" of our species! When you think about it, I'm sure everyone here personally knows of someone who's had fertility issues trying to have children.

I think it's also why our grandfathers have more testosterone then we do. I think it might be too late for my future kids to be able to live in a estrogen-like chemical free environment, but possibly the generation after that.

I'm Irish so I have to be careful about sun exposure since I surf in Southern Cali, well low and behold, Oxybenzone, an ingredient is a potential endocrine disruptor.

Thread Information