rd27 is offline New Member

Diane Rehm show - Tainted Steroid Injections And Public Health

FYI, Diane Rehm show is on now covering "Tainted Steroid Injections And Public Health". The podcast and transcript should be on around 12:30pm EST. I can't post the link, but search for "Diane Rehm Tainted Steroid Injections And Public Health"

Here is the summary:
    Thousands of people may have been exposed to deadly fungal meningitis from tainted steroid injections for back and neck pain: What the outbreak reveals about regulations, oversight of compounding pharmacies and risks to public health.

Guests:
    Denise Grady
    reporter, New York Times
    David Miller
    executive vice president, International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists
    Michael Carome
    deputy director, health research group Public Citizen
    Dr. John Dombrowski
    medical director, Washington Pain Center
    Jeffrey Gibbs
    attorney in private practice, Hyman, Phelps and McNamara

It's starting a bit negative from the reporter Denise Grady who did the New York Times article "Thousands Exposed to Tainted Steroid, C.D.C. Says" and the Public Citizen person, I assume the Compounding Pharmacists guy will push back soon.

d

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I didn't read the transcript but I read about this with great interest when it first hit the publications. It is a steroid used for healing after injuries, and not HRT steroids (not testosterone ). So if I am correct, this is not going to impact HRT users.

rd27 is offline New Member
    The transcript isn't out for a couple hours. The effect may be users of compounding pharmacies because there are calls for increased regulation or at least more enforcement of existing regulations. Of course, that may not be a horrible thing depending on the details.

I would think it might turn more doctors off compounding pharmacies also.

Thread Information