biggjd69 is offline Associate Member

Advice needed concerning apnea and testosterone

I have Sleep Apnea. When I was first diagnosed with it my total Testosterone was 233ng/dl on a scale of (241-827). That was in 2008. Switch to today and when I recently had blood work done my Total test has dropped to 1.22 ng/ml on a scale of (1.75-7.81). These are Military scales BTW. But this time my LH was low 1.15mIU/ml on a scale of (1.24-8.62) but my FSH was normal 1.88mIU/mL on a scale of (1.27-19.26) and so was my TSH Sensitive 1.12(.34-5.60) uIU/ML and Prolactin 9.86(2.64-13.13 was normal as well. There was no evidence of Pitutitary tumor and other blood work came back good. Now I have been told from a urologist and Sleep doctor that Sleep Apnea can lower your LH and Testosterone.

It did not help that I gained weight from my first diagnoses of the apnea, from 232 to 255 back in November. Just lifting and eating and forgetting that I was getting older(I am 43) and can't do the same way I did 20 years ago. I also was only getting about 5 hours of sleep while using my CPAP. So I started dieting back in November and I have now dropped down to 227, and want to continue getting the bodyfat down even more(it was at 24%). When I took the bloodwork I was in the midst of dropping a lot of weight. Have you guys heard of Apnea affecting testosterone? I am ready to start Testosterone either by cycling or TRT. My military docs are no help at all. They wanted to start me on test C at 200mg once a month for three months. Ughhhhhhh. Crazy thing is I have no symptoms of Low T, NONE WHATSOEVER. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. Thank you
    Last edited by biggjd69; 01-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.

junk2222yard is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggjd69 View Post
    Have you guys heard of Apnea affecting testosterone?
    No doubt sleep apnea -- where your body is literally starved of oxygen and you are sleep deprived -- has a horrible impact on every system of your body. So I am sure sleep apnea would impact your testosterone .

Are you aware of the correlation between sleep apnea and hypothyroidism? And further, that hypothyroidism can and will cause low testosterone in men? Just wanted to make sure you were up to speed in how these things are all related. It could be that sorting out your thyroid will cure the sleep apnea and the low testosterone in a cascade.
    Last edited by junk2222yard; 01-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thread Information