Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    junk2222yard is offline Associate Member

When you began HRT Did you Get it Right the First Time?

This thread is for the people that have been on HRT for some time (say a few months or longer) to comment on their own experience with HRT, and if things went as smoothly as could be expected, or if they made mis-steps and would do it differently if they could go back in time?

I thought I would start it because one of the vets here mentioned they were themselves at a crossroads and wondered if they were really better off with HRT or not, long after beginning. If a respected vet is wondering this, I am sure many of us amateurs are wondering it, too.

In my own case, I am in month 7, and as time goes on -- and I learn more and more and uncover other underlying issues -- I wish I could go back in time and do it again. In my own case, I am sure I have an underlying Thyroid condition (which my doc has come around too as well), and wish my doctor knew more about that, and was less eager to just put me on Test right off the bat. As most know, hypothyroidism can cause hypogonadism, and I fear that is the case with me. Yet I was on Test before even having my LH and FSH tested, nevermind a whole whack of other stuff. Because I did feel better with the Test (stronger in gym, better erections, etc.) it was hard to not feel like things were coming together, but now -- 7 months into it -- I have discovered I have low ferritin (which I thought was tested in the beginning like it should have been, but I now know was not!) and it underscores how not enough investigation was done prior to treating the low T. I frequent thyroid boards now, and realize there are a whole host of things that need to be ruled out, that would help me fix my thyroid, which *possibly* could mean it cascades to fixing my low T, which *possibly* could mean being on one or even no drugs in the future, instead of the myriad that I am working with trying to "fix things underfoot".

What about your own experience? What would you do differently? And do you ever think about stopping HRT completely, and trying a different course of action?
    Last edited by junk2222yard; 03-07-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thread Information