cornfedboy2000 is offline Associate Member

surgery question

So, all the work I've put in and all the hell I've gone through with my rehab is pretty much getting tossed out the window. Found out Friday I need to go back in for another surgery on my leg. I am getting a chunk of my tibia replaced with a graft from my femur, getting a new thicker titanium rod installed in the tibia, and my fibula repaired while they're in there. All that being said I have a question. Has anyone undergone surgery while on TRT? I'm wondering if there's any complications. I can't figure there would be but I'm wondering if they'll make me stop while I'm in recovery. Obviously I'll be running this past my surgeon when I meet with him on monday, but I figure I'd ask on here. It's kind of a bummer that I need this, but at least I'll come out of it with a stronger leg. I've been missing a big chunk of my tibia since the crash... it kind of got left on the street lol. If anyone has had surgery since being on TRT I'd appreciate a shout back. Thanks guys.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hello....
    It's just a speed bump in life, trust me I have had many speed bumps along my path.. Ohhh the list I could give you. lol

As for your main question about surgery and TRT.

November 2010 Detached Retina left eye. NO weight lifting of any kind for 4+ months....
    October 2011 repair, re attach lens in left eye that came loose due to retina surgery. No weight lifting for 2+ months
    May 2012 Left shoulder Rotator cuff surgery. 3x worse than what the doctor expected going in. lol No lifting for 1+ months and then only 5 lbs.
    Hemorrhoid surgery August 2012. Doctor said I was a 8 out of 10. lol Surgery was a breeze. The AFTER surgery complications (EXTREME constipation) was unbelievable. Only comparisom is trying to sh*t a pinaple for 3 days but nothing is happening except the pain. Suggestion if you ever need to have this done. Liquid diet starting 2+ days before surgery. It will save you a LOT of grief.

There is no reason to stop TRT. There is nothing it will interfere with during surgery.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 03-17-2013 at 01:24 AM.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've had 3 surgeries since starting TRT. One on the ankle required immobilization of the limb for 6 weeks (no movement or weight bearing). One week after surgery I started feeling a bad pain in the calf and had difficulty breathing. I called my Surgeon and he told me to get to the hospital ASAP. Turns out I had a Deep Vein Thrombosis in the calf & one behind the knee. Some had actually traveled up & reached the lungs where it was found I had multiple Pulmonary Embolisms. I was in the Hospital for 7 days. The Doctors felt I was especially lucky to have survived. Many people die from just one entering the lungs. Later blood tests confirmed I did not have any genetic abnormalities that would have caused the blood clotting. The general consensus was the clots probably developed due to the limb being immobilized right after surgery (dumb-luck). However, the Surgeon & my TRT Doc did question whether my increased Red Blood Cell count from being on TRT maybe had any bearing in connection with the limb being immobile. In the end, there's really no way to know if there was a connection. I'm now placed on Blood Thinners (Lovenox Injections) after any surgery for added safety, especially when limb mobility is an issue. Definitely speak with your Surgeon & TRT Doc on the matter. Lovenox Injections after the surgery are not an inconvenience & they may give you an added layer of security. My $0.02...
    Last edited by APIs; 03-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.

cornfedboy2000 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, I've had 4 surgeries since aug 1st of last year, all on my leg... each time they sent me home with lovenox due to the immobilization. Normally run a 4-5 week course of belly shots. Wish I could get some of those preloaded spring retracting units with hcg ... that would be too easy though lol.

Thread Information