Leon621 is offline New Member

Nizoral for acne while on TRT

Hello,

My question is acne related. I know many people have talked about using Nizoral shampoo for acne as usually your DHT levels rise to high levels during TRT. Basically, you use it topically and I guess the anti-androgen effect clears up your acne over time. However, I have also heard of the anti-androgen drug called finasteride that a lot of people here seem to hate because of its side effects.

So two questions

1) If each of them do the same thing (anti-androgen effect), why is Nizoral usually more promoted for acne control? I just want to know why finasteride is different than Nizoral if they technically have the same effect (I understand finasteride is oral and Nizoral is topical).

2) Is it bad to use Nizoral while on TRT? I would assume the anti-androgen effect would maybe cancel out the effects of TRT (totally guessing there), but then again I've heard the topical doesn't have much of a bad effect on it.

Anything else you can tell me about this I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nobody actually knows how Nizoral helps prevent hair loss. But it acts locally, at the scalp, rather than systemically, and this is why it doesn't cause side effects like low libido.
    And Finasteride is not a DHT blocker, but a 5a-r blocker. It binds to the enzyme that creates DHT from test.

Good response thank you. So with that said it would be ok to use nizoral while on TRT to help prevent acne I assume. I just want to make sure because I've heard some people say it would have negative effects because it's still an anti-androgen regardless.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nizoral won't cause any issues.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ive been using it for a few months and have had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Ive been using it for a few months and have had no issues.
    Has it helped at all with acne control? (assuming you are on TRT or had been)

Thread Information