Thread: Why 25G for IM?

Novice489 is offline Associate Member

Question Why 25G for IM?

Noob question. If Test Cyp will go through a 29G needle for SubQ why is a 25G needle recommended for IM?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    1) 29g is an insulin needle, and they run in 3/5" and 1/2" lengths. (versus a 1" 25g)
    2) sub-Q shots are limited to maybe .5 cc, as too much volume will leave painful lumps. It would take forever to draw and inject a whole CC or more with a 29g.

CobraMustangSVT is offline Junior Member
    I'm glad this question came up. I injected with a 25G 1-1/2 needle today. I used to inject with a 22 1-1/2 needle. I liked the 22G needle but was told it was too big and created trauma.

Don't you guys find that it harder to inject with the 25G?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraMustangSVT View Post
    I'm glad this question came up. I injected with a 25G 1-1/2 needle today. I used to inject with a 22 1-1/2 needle. I liked the 22G needle but was told it was too big and created trauma.

Don't you guys find that it harder to inject with the 25G?
    I do but I like that it "makes" me inject slower so it gives the muscle less trauma so less pip for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    I do but I like that it "makes" me inject slower so it gives the muscle less trauma so less pip for me...
    Thanks for the explanation. So the slower injection makes it easier on the injection site.

I was thinking the opposite. I thought that the slimmer needle and slower injection created a higher pressure which might cause trauma while a larger needle and easier flow would be easier on the injection site.

These are just my assumptions. Thanks again for the thread and education on the subject.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I started trt with a 1 in 21g and used the same needle to draw and inject. Had pretty bad PIP. Switched to using the 21g to draw and a fresh 25g to inject. Much Less PiP

Thanks again for the thread and the education on the subject.

I'll stick with my 25G x 1-1/2

Novice489 is offline Associate Member
    I assumed smaller needle would equate to less trauma. Would there be a downside of injecting with a 27G X 1-1/4" Needle? This is for TRT dose of .25ml Test Cyp.

jasondd1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post
    I assumed smaller needle would equate to less trauma. Would there be a downside of injecting with a 27G X 1-1/4" Needle? This is for TRT dose of .25ml Test Cyp.
    Not that i can see

EverettCD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post

ASSuming that you can find that oddball gauge & length needle there are now downsides to injecting with that size.

Thread Information