Thread: 1 yr bloodwork

booku is offline Associate Member

1 yr bloodwork

So I got my routine bloodwork done Dec. 23, 2013, and my TSH was very high (6.24) compared to Feb 2013 of 1.97. My current protocol is test only at 100 mg/week split into two injections a week, and these bloods were drawn 24 hours after my injection time. My doctor wants me to get a full thyroid panel done every 3 months because she suspects hypothyroidism? What could have caused this big spike in TSH? I have been dieting since mid october and have lost 15 or so lbs, does this effect it? Is going on testosterone going to cause TSH to rise over time? Whats the deal here?

Attachments re-uploaded. Oh, and I have a set of private blood work I can run anytime that would have full thyroid, shbg, estrogen, etc
    Last edited by booku; 12-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blood work dec 23 13.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	147297

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    There are some foods that are goitrogenic, but they are typically fine for people who are not hypothyroid to consume safely. So unless you have been on something drastic like a 80% raw cruciferous/brassica vegetable diet, I would say it is unlikely that your elevated TSH is a result of diet. There are some medications and supplements that will elevate TSH, but unless you are taking one, it is likely that you have been developing hypothyroidism (although there a couple of other causes of TSH, such as pituitary adenomas). I would get the thyroid panel, and make sure you do get tested for antibodies: thyroid peroxidase (TPO) and antithyroglobulin antibodies (TG Ab).

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    There are some foods that are goitrogenic, but they are typically fine for people who are not hypothyroid to consume safely. So unless you have been on something drastic like a 80% raw cruciferous/brassica vegetable diet, I would say it is unlikely that your elevated TSH is a result of diet. There are some medications and supplements that will elevate TSH, but unless you are taking one, it is likely that you have been developing hypothyroidism (although there a couple of other causes of TSH, such as pituitary adenomas). I would get the thyroid panel, and make sure you do get tested for antibodies: thyroid peroxidase (TPO) and antithyroglobulin antibodies (TG Ab).
    Well since I have been dieting I have been eating tons of vegetables, typically romaine lettuce, raw spinach, and cooked broccoli and green beans. I also take a lot of caffeine and artificial sweeteners.

I guess I just want to know if my contest prep diet is going to skew the thyroid blood tests I need to run?

bump.

So should I be competing in April or no? What would you do in my situation?

BallSak is offline Associate Member
    Your TSH is high probably because your free T3 is low. Do you have thyroids labs? If you are hypothyroid you will have a heck of a time getting in show shape. Do you have hypothyroid symptoms?

e1ectric is offline Junior Member
    new here. thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by BallSak View Post
    Your TSH is high probably because your free T3 is low. Do you have thyroids labs? If you are hypothyroid you will have a heck of a time getting in show shape. Do you have hypothyroid symptoms?
    I am going to go get a full thyroid panel done with antibodies next week, so hopefully we can have a clearer picture as to what is going on. Basically, yes, I have most of the hypo symptoms, fatigue, dry skin, constipation, cold intolerance, but they are very mild, if that makes any sense.

And as far as getting contest lean (5-6%), I seem to be doing very well so far, With a test level of 1000 or so I am mid 190's and probably no more than 10-11%, and am losing weight fairly easily on 2335 calories with a refeed at 2735 once a week. So you are saying that it is going to start to get difficult?

One symptom of hypothyroidism is having a really tough time decreasing fat regardless of diet manipulation and exercise. So if you are leaning up somewhat easily then you clearly don't have that symptom.

Well do you think it could be the testosterone kind of masking the underlying hypothyroidism so I can still lose fat but just at probably slightly lower calories? Am i doing further and/or permanent damage by continuing to diet down to 5% BF or is thyroid medication at this point inevitable, especially if it some type of autoimmune thyroid disease?

Just wait for your thyroid results and go from there. You want free T3 to be betweeen 3.0-4.2 for optimal thyroid.

BTW going from 10% to 5% takes longer than you think to achieve, especially if you've never done it so I wouldn't worry about screwing anything up by continuing to diet down.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSak View Post
    Just wait for your thyroid results and go from there. You want free T3 to be betweeen 3.0-4.2 for optimal thyroid.

BTW going from 10% to 5% takes longer than you think to achieve, especially if you've never done it so I wouldn't worry about screwing anything up by continuing to diet down.
    Ok thanks will post my thyroid blood work in this thread when I get it. Anything I need to avoid doing before hand that might skew the blood work? I know I will be fasted and avoiding ejaculation.

getting TSH, free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies...
    Last edited by booku; 01-04-2014 at 08:16 AM.

So they have the results of the full thyroid panel...

TSH 2.860, .45-4.5 uIU/mL
    Free T3 2.9, 2.0-4.4 pg/mL
    Free T4 1.15, 0.82-1.77 ng/dL
    TPO Ab 6, 0-34 IU/mL
    Thyroglobulin, Antibody <1.0, 0-0.9 IU/mL

So yea, all those numbers look okay, correct? So why was my TSH so high that one time?

Thread Information