jakesonyou is offline New Member

Calling all experts on Liver Enzymes

Last week I tested high on my AST and ALT levels, ordering by my GP. I had a hard leg workout two days prior and was still very sore. I have recently been made aware of the fact that lifting within 7 days of a blood test can cause you to test high.
    I am seeing a new doctor next week for TRT and do not want to spend time discussing my liver enzymes, which are more than likely not accurate. I want to abstain from lifting for one week and then test again (I already have rested 3 days). I have also been taking 1200mg of NAC for 2 days. My GP will not send me for another blood test because he says they won't change so quickly. Therefore, I will have to pay out of pocket and drive an hour out of state to get the test done.

My questions are:

Given the hassle I have to go through to get this next blood test, Do you think 8 days without lifting and one week on NAC will be enough to bring my levels back to the normal range?

Does time of day have any effect on liver enzymes?

Does eating, day of blood test, have any impact?
    Last edited by jakesonyou; 03-26-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    What were your numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    What were your numbers?
    Sorry, thought I posted it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hfp.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	149464

bullshark99 is offline Senior Member
    Jake,

I wouldn't be alarmed but more than likely the test WAS accurate and it is highly unlikely that your leg work out caused this. Many people dismiss high enzymes do to protein consumption or intense workouts but more than likely that wasn't the cause. Do you use alcohol excessively? Do you use OTC pain medication, statins? Many many things can cause elevation. Elevation does NOT mean damage, it just means something is stressing your liver. It would be wise to find out what that "something" is and promptly remove it before it becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark99 View Post
    Jake,

I wouldn't be alarmed but more than likely the test WAS accurate and it is highly unlikely that your leg work out caused this. Many people dismiss high enzymes do to protein consumption or intense workouts but more than likely that wasn't the cause. Do you use alcohol excessively? Do you use OTC pain medication, statins? Many many things can cause elevation. Elevation does NOT mean damage, it just means something is stressing your liver. It would be wise to find out what that "something" is and promptly remove it before it becomes a problem.
    Never had a sip of alcohol in my life. No NSAIDs or any OTC medications. I take a multi-vitamin, glucosamine, Vitamin C, Vitamin D-3, and now NAC.

I do stress out easily about things and am somewhat OCD (Maybe that could have an impact).

I track my calories and macros each each (currently at 197g of protein, 434g carbs, and 72g fats). I guess I do take in a good bit of fat, but it is mostly unsaturated fats (almonds, olive oil.) I also seem to to trending towards hypothyroidism and I was previously about 70lbs heavier than I am now (NA fatty liver maybe?).

Thread Information