Trenchant7 is offline New Member

Kidneys and Low T

There's some correlation between kidney function and hormones. People on steroids sometimes have kidney issues. From my reading people with kidney failure and disease almost always have hypogonadism.

Is it possible that my current kidney pain and high hemoglobin / high MCHC are related to my low testosterone levels ? Just trying to make sense of these test results in light of the kidney pain I have been having all week.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenchant7 View Post
    There's some correlation between kidney function and hormones. People on steroids sometimes have kidney issues. From my reading people with kidney failure and disease almost always have hypogonadism.

Is it possible that my current kidney pain and high hemoglobin / high MCHC are related to my low testosterone levels? Just trying to make sense of these test results in light of the kidney pain I have been having all week.

There's no issue with kidney function and testosterone . Guys who use steroids and have kidney problems, these problems almost always stem from diuretic and opiate abuse, not steroids.

Anyway, kidney pain could just be a sign of an infection. Also, a lot of guys mistake other things for kidney pain. Either way, you should get it looked at, which I assume you're in the process of.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post
    There's no issue with kidney function and testosterone . Guys who use steroids and have kidney problems, these problems almost always stem from diuretic and opiate abuse, not steroids.
    Hypertension directly causes renal failure. Diuretics and opiates...not nearly as likely.

Low T does not cause kidney pain. Even renal failure is usually painless.
    You most likely have kidney stones or a kidney infection from a UTI.

If there is any link between hypogonadism and renal failure, it is because the low T is caused by/associated with the same health problems that caused the renal failure (obesity, hypertension, diabetes, poor nutrition/hydration, statin overuse, old age, etc).
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 06-02-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Hypertension directly causes renal failure, diuretics and opiates...not nearly as likely.

Low T does not cause kidney pain. Even renal failure is usually painless.
    You most likely have kidney stones or a kidney infection from a UTI.
    True, hypertension can be a problem, a big one. Maybe I'll be accused of splitting hairs here but I don't think so...steroids can cause high blood pressure, but they cannot directly cause (in most cases) renal failure. But yeah, one can lead to another. If a guy is healthy and doesn't live like crap otherwise, this shouldn't happen. In a TRT setting it really shouldn't happen.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post
    True, hypertension can be a problem, a big one. Maybe I'll be accused of splitting hairs here but I don't think so...steroids can cause high blood pressure, but they cannot directly cause (in most cases) renal failure. But yeah, one can lead to another. If a guy is healthy and doesn't live like crap otherwise, this shouldn't happen. In a TRT setting it really shouldn't happen.
    Of course. I was referring to steroid abusers who do not take care of their blood pressure.
    Although Tren at any dose has been known to affect renal function, as do high protein diets common with steroid users and bodybuilders in general.

Goodfella1118 is offline New Member
    It would take a relatively long time for a person with steroid induced hypertension to develop renal failure , bc it normal does not affect the person with primary or secondary htn for a relatively long time . The constant high arterial pressure dye to high Bp is what will eventually cause the kidney issues . But this takes time And if one were cycling on/off steroids with proper rest periods you should be fine. A trt dose should not cause a relatively high increase in Bp . Be safe stay under doctors control and you will be fine

Trenchant7 is offline New Member
    Thanks everyone.

Here is what I was referring to when mentioning correlation between low testosterone and kidney disease.
    Doesn't apply to me but good information to know either way.

Background

Hypogonadism in men may be secondary to renal failure and is well recognised in patients with end‐stage renal disease. It is thought to contribute to the sexual dysfunction and osteoporosis experienced by these patients. However, the association between hypogonadism and lesser degrees of renal dysfunction is not well characterised.

Methods

The gonadal status of 214 male patients (mean age 56 (SD 18) years) attending a renal centre was studied; 62 of them were receiving haemodialysis and 22 continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis for end‐stage renal disease, whereas 34 patients had functioning renal transplants and 96 patients were in the low‐clearance phase. Non‐fasting plasma was analysed for testosterone , follicle‐stimulating hormone, luteinising hormone, sex hormone‐binding globulin, parathyroid hormone and haemoglobin. Creatinine clearance was estimated in patients not on dialysis, and Kt/V and urea reduction ratio were assessed in patients on dialysis. Testosterone concentrations were classified as normal (>14 nmol/l), low‐normal (10–14 nmol/l) or low (<10 nmol/l).

Results

56 (26.2%) patients had significantly low testosterone levels and another 65 (30.3%) had low‐normal levels. No significant changes were seen in sex hormone‐binding globulin or gonadotrophin levels. Gonadal status was not correlated with haemoglobin level, parathyroid hormone level, creatinine clearance, or dialysis duration or adequacy.

Conclusion

Over half of patients with renal failure, even in the pre‐dialysis phase, have low or low‐normal levels of testosterone, which may be a potentially reversible risk factor for osteoporosis and sexual dysfunction. These patients may be candidates for testosterone‐replacement therapy, which has been shown to improve bone mineral‐density and libido in men with low and low‐normal testosterone levels.

-------------
    Its interesting because they're viewing this from the angle of: "People with reduced kidney function end up with low testosterone".

I don't suppose one could say "People with Low T end up with Kidney dysfunction later in life" ?

There's definitely correlation. The question is which direction the causation goes.
    Last edited by Trenchant7; 06-04-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Thread Information