Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chauffeur

Thread: Can a sleeping disorder cause low T??

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Can a sleeping disorder cause low T??

I have been struggling with fatigue, low energy, low sex drive, weak erections, unable to build muscle/lose fat, depression, and mood swings for a few years now. My testosterone came back in the normal but low range (301ng/dl) and I just met with my general care doctor and he is referring me to an endo. But I want to know if I could possibly have a sleeping disorder of some sort that is causing my low testosterone ? Should I call my doctors office and ask for a sleep study before going to an endo? Stats are 6'2" 220lbs 25 years old.

Would also like to add when I wake up I dont feel rested. But I do not really show any other symptoms of sleep apnea. Sometimes I will yell, scream, punch, and talk in my sleep.
    Last edited by yeahbuddy289; 09-03-2014 at 08:43 AM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Yes it can. Sleep Apnea is the most often cause. Maybe google it to see if you have any signs and discuss with your Dr.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    A lot of times you can get the doctor to call in one of those take home studies, a lot of supply places will provide them free of charge with a doctor's note. It will help you get an idea if you need one rather than spending a grand or so on a normal sleep study. Which you could do after if it seems needed.

Jimmy I would say I have 2 maybe 3 of the 9 symptoms listed on webmd.

Seoinage- I have pretty good insurance if I call the doctor and get a referral I would probably just go to the hospital and get one done. but if it isnt covered I would look into that.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts are this. If you can get it done and relatively easily and have it covered I would to rule it out. TRT isnt the yellow brick road it is often made out to be. If you can avoid it or rule out other options before taking the plunge, I would.

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Jimmy I would say I have 2 maybe 3 of the 9 symptoms listed on webmd.

Seoinage- I have pretty good insurance if I call the doctor and get a referral I would probably just go to the hospital and get one done. but if it isnt covered I would look into that.
    While I agree with the other posters about sleep disorders leading to low T, I feel that it's important to note that there seems to be some overlap in symptoms between the two conditions.

Obviously, being able to rule out a sleep disorder is a very important part of your diagnosis. Diagnosing the cause of low T is often a process of elimination, so this is just another way to cross something off the list...or potentially discover why your testosterone levels are no bueno.

From what I hear, most decent insurance policies have no issue covering sleep studies. Good luck!

Thanks guys.... Jimmy I agree with you.. I would be an easy one to cross off the list and I am going to try to do everything I can to figure out why I am low and treat the cause. I dont want to be on TRT especially at my age.

Lifted1 is offline Member
    keep in mind nutrition, vitamin deficiencies, bf% and exercise all play a role in T levels.

I eat a consistent, calculated diet and had a general blood test done which showed my levels in many areas. My body fat is around 15% and my job keeps me very active and I am in the gym 3 times a week.

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Thanks guys.... Jimmy I agree with you.. I would be an easy one to cross off the list and I am going to try to do everything I can to figure out why I am low and treat the cause. I dont want to be on TRT especially at my age.
    You're definitely doing the right thing trying to find the cause of your low T. Keep in mind that it may be something that you and your doctor never figure out. In some cases the cause may be easy to identify through bloodwork, sleep study, etc., but it's not always that easy.

In my case, we were never able to pinpoint a cause. I had tons of labs drawn but we never found an answer. I don't regret spending all those months searching for the cause, it's the responsible thing to do, but it was pretty frustrating.

Perhaps I've been exposed to more chemicals than the average person? Maybe I was hit in the balls one too many times? Maybe I'm just aging earlier than most? Who knows?

What I do know is that something had to change in order for me to live a normal life.

I hope you're able to figure out the cause of your low T, but don't get married to the idea that you'll eventually find something.
    64509chvl likes this.

Thanks for all your help man. I know I may never find the actual cause... Especially around here where diagnosing low t isn't really a specialty of any doctors in the area I know of. But all I can do is try and if I do have to deal with trt and everything that comes with it I am completely fine with that because there's absolutely no way I can go on living my life like this. The time between appointments is killing me because I feel like all I'm doing is just sitting here rottening watching life pass me by.

Thread Information