Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OingoBoingo

Thread: TRT and upcoming Surgery

  1. #1
    kewe is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    186

    TRT and upcoming Surgery

    I will have a surgery coming and the doctor told me to stop any supplements of any kind a week before - I will ask him when I can resume things but any certain protocol I should follow or just end it a week before and then restart when he is ok with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    607
    Does he know trt is your "supplementation" ?

  3. #3
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,932
    He cannot be referring to TRT meds.....
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  4. #4
    2Sox's Avatar
    2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Testosterone is no more a "supplement" than insulin or thyroid medication is. Could this be an misplaced assumption on your part?

  5. #5
    Beethoven's Avatar
    Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Fla
    Posts
    1,470
    I just had surgery in November and the only two things I had to stop was HCG and my low dose aspirin. Testosterone and Anastrozole was good.

  6. #6
    OingoBoingo's Avatar
    OingoBoingo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I just had surgery in November and the only two things I had to stop was HCG and my low dose aspirin. Testosterone and Anastrozole was good.
    Was a reason given for stopping the hCG ?

  7. #7
    2Sox's Avatar
    2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by OingoBoingo View Post
    Was a reason given for stopping the hCG?
    I'd like to know this too.

  8. #8
    Beethoven's Avatar
    Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Fla
    Posts
    1,470
    The anesthesiologist said it might interact with the anesthesia. I really didn't buy it but at the same time missing essentially one dose was not a big deal for me. Went right back after the surgery. I believe when they come across something they aren't familiar with they err on the safe side. Turns out I had a rough we awakening from the anesthesia anyway. Go figure.

  9. #9
    kewe is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumZ View Post
    Does he know trt is your "supplementation" ?
    He did pick any one item but wanted me to stop anything that I was taking including vitamins, etc but I think it is just to be cautious. I was curious if anyone else had this experience.

  10. #10
    Beethoven's Avatar
    Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Fla
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by kewe View Post
    He did pick any one item but wanted me to stop anything that I was taking including vitamins, etc but I think it is just to be cautious. I was curious if anyone else had this experience.
    I don't understand, you should have filled out a questionaire with all that information which is looked at by all concerned so they can tell you specifically what to avoid. TRT is not a supplement rather a medication for a medical condition.

  11. #11
    OingoBoingo's Avatar
    OingoBoingo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    The anesthesiologist said it might interact with the anesthesia. I really didn't buy it but at the same time missing essentially one dose was not a big deal for me. Went right back after the surgery. I believe when they come across something they aren't familiar with they err on the safe side. Turns out I had a rough we awakening from the anesthesia anyway. Go figure.
    Probably all that excess hCG in your system! lol
    Beethoven likes this.

  12. #12
    Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by kewe View Post
    He did pick any one item but wanted me to stop anything that I was taking including vitamins, etc but I think it is just to be cautious. I was curious if anyone else had this experience.

    It's a standard procedure before any surgery. The main reason is that surgeons are trying to prevent any disruption of your body's clotting ability, something that many medications and vitamins do.

    Anything that thins the blood or has any effect on clotting is supposed to be ditched, usually for a week or two prior to surgery. The last thing any surgeon wants is for you to bleed out on his operating table.

    There is also a risk for interaction with the anesthesia. The drugs they use to sedate and anesthetize you are extremely powerful, so they can't take any chances. Bad reactions to these drugs are common enough, so they don't want you to be at an increased risk due to something that they have no control over.

    During many surgical procedures the patient is sedated, their respiratory drive is knocked out, and they are intubated. The only reason you're still breathing is because they say so. It's "routine" in the sense that they've done it many times before, but it's a remarkably risky thing to do if you really think about it.

  13. #13
    Simon1972's Avatar
    Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    1,360
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I don't understand, you should have filled out a questionaire with all that information which is looked at by all concerned so they can tell you specifically what to avoid. TRT is not a supplement rather a medication for a medical condition.
    i agree- trt is now beneficial as it will help you to recover- without it now you willbe at low levels preventing you from recovering properly , my guess is the anaesthesiologist knows nil about trt. he is blanketing everything as a general ass covering excersise.

    i would go ask your prescribing dr about this to be safe, but in my opinion- keep on the healing and health promoting trt..going off will do you more harm than good.

  14. #14
    APIs's Avatar
    APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Avoiding newbies @ gym...
    Posts
    1,322
    OP never mentioned what type of surgery exactly. If it's one of your legs, creating an immobile situation can raise the risk of blood clots/DVTs. I've had multiple surgeries over the years on my ankles and I do stop all supplements at least 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery. I'm naturally a bleeder and my surgeon swears that he sees more bleeding when people are taking supplements (i.e. vitamins, protein etc.). Never had to stop my TRT meds though. However, once I did develop multiple blood clots about 5 days after one ankle surgery which required a week’s stay in the hospital followed by 2 months of blood thinning drugs. There were some thoughts by my surgeon & TRT Doc that the exogenous Test "might" have contributed to the DVTs I experienced, but it couldn’t be proven.

    In the end, I'd listen to what the surgeon & your TRT Doc say on the matter...

  15. #15
    kewe is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    OP never mentioned what type of surgery exactly. If it's one of your legs, creating an immobile situation can raise the risk of blood clots/DVTs. I've had multiple surgeries over the years on my ankles and I do stop all supplements at least 2 weeks before the scheduled surgery. I'm naturally a bleeder and my surgeon swears that he sees more bleeding when people are taking supplements (i.e. vitamins, protein etc.). Never had to stop my TRT meds though. However, once I did develop multiple blood clots about 5 days after one ankle surgery which required a week’s stay in the hospital followed by 2 months of blood thinning drugs. There were some thoughts by my surgeon & TRT Doc that the exogenous Test "might" have contributed to the DVTs I experienced, but it couldn’t be proven.

    In the end, I'd listen to what the surgeon & your TRT Doc say on the matter...
    I spoke to him today with everything that I am taking and you and Chauffeur are correct, it is to do with clotting ability, etc.

    He said after a week or two when the healing is little farther along that I can resume.

    He also commented that my resting pulse when I was there was 48... I said due to HIIT and 5mg daily of Cialis.. LOL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •