chris.baker is offline Junior Member

VA and TRT Question

If this is not the correct forum for this, I apologize. Please please let me know if it isn't.

I'm retired military. I'm sure I can't be the only one, so looking for some direction with the Veteran's Administration. I've learned recently that the VA will cover TRT.

Has anyone here used the VA for TRT? If so, at what age did you start and how did you go about it? The VA can be a complete pain in the ass to deal with. You cannot just go in and ask for TRT. You can go in and give them a list of symptoms and cross your finger they come up with the right diagnosis (GOOD LUCK!).

My thought was to go to a private TRT clinic, get diagnosed, then take said records to my primary care VA doc and have them prescribe the TRT.

Final question... those that are on TRT (specifically anyone on TRT through the VA), are you on shots or a gel or patch? I've read some posts on VA forums where they will cover the gel and/or patch... but I have a daughter and a much younger girlfriend in my home so I'm a bit nervous about the gel/patch. I'd much rather have the shot if possible.

Thanks!

IronClydes is offline Senior Member
    Hey Chris,

I currently get my TRT through the VA. I started TRT with the VA at age of 32.

If you want the best possible way the VA:

Get TRT outside the VA. Once you start TRT, you are TRT for life. The VA agrees on this. As a disabled veteran, you get free care at the VA. Hence, there is a good reason to get TRT there.

Once you are receiving treatment from a private TRT clinic, go to VA and tell them you want to transfer care there. They will have no problem with this. TRT is for life. The fact that you are on it already qualifies you.

Here is where it takes some time though...the VA insists on doing quite a few tests first to ensure there is not another cause for low T that could be a more significant matter. They will want to conduct an MRI on your Sella to make sure there are no tumors. They will take blood tests (it's okay that your T is in normal range since you are already on TRT, they just want to make sure nothing else is wrong).

After this, they start you small....smaller dose than you were on likely. The VA is VERY conservative on their therapy. They will NOT do anything other than Testosterone Cypionate . No HcG , no AI. Period.

There are some loopholes I have been working on with regard to this, I will let you know if they work so you can incorporate them.

With regard to shots or patches or gels.....they give you the choice. I chose the best, shots.

Keep me updated.

For many reasons, I am involved in the process at the VA and have gained a good amount of experience working angles on my TRT care there. I intend to get HcG there soon....once it happens, I will share how you also can. Currently, it seems that the only way they will prescribe it in conjunction with TRT is if fertility is a concern. I would make it clear to them that you intend to stay fertile when you transfer. Perhaps explain this is why you have HcG with your private TRT clinic. This is obviously not completely true as we all want HcG in our TRT for many reasons otherwise: shrinking gonads, increased test, and to counter a host of others effects on the body from not producing our own testosterone supplies.

chris.baker is offline Junior Member
    tduff, I will for sure keep you updated! Please do the same.

That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. There is a nearby HRT clinic. I plan on contacting them and going from there. My first thought was to get them to "test and diagnose" me and then go to the VA. But you are saying go ahead and get on the TRT (so don't even mention switching to the VA to the clinic?), then go to the VA and basically say, "Hey, I'm on TRT from my private doc. I want to switch my care to the VA (for obvious reasons). They do their tests, then (assuming they don't find any tumor or whatnot), you are on TRT from the VA.... Could it be so simple?!

Now, can we get the VA to cover HGH? Ha, now if that were to happy I'd be one very, very happy camper!

You said they started you out on a low does. Mind my asking what does they started you out at? What are you at now? How long did it take for them to ramp you up?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chris.baker
    tduff, I will for sure keep you updated! Please do the same. That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. There is a nearby HRT clinic. I plan on contacting them and going from there. My first thought was to get them to "test and diagnose" me and then go to the VA. But you are saying go ahead and get on the TRT (so don't even mention switching to the VA to the clinic?), then go to the VA and basically say, "Hey, I'm on TRT from my private doc. I want to switch my care to the VA (for obvious reasons). They do their tests, then (assuming they don't find any tumor or whatnot), you are on TRT from the VA.... Could it be so simple?! Now, can we get the VA to cover HGH? Ha, now if that were to happy I'd be one very, very happy camper! You said they started you out on a low does. Mind my asking what does they started you out at? What are you at now? How long did it take for them to ramp you up? Thanks!
    Exactly, get treatment first elsewhere then transfer. It's very unlikely they would start TRT on anyone unless they were scrapping with under 200 levels. But, you can get started anywhere under 7-800 easily. The VA will have no issue taking you once you're already on TRT as that is permanent and they really can't decide if you should be on it. That decision was already made.

HGH....they will never lol. I wish.

I was on 200 weekly with a private clinic. When I transferred to the VA they dropped me to 100. I've since been bouncing around between 120, 150, and 200 weekly (the highest they will ever go). Currently I'm at 120. They will never just ramp us up. They are conservative.

If you plan on doing anything else, just plan it between the usual 6 month blood tests.

One thing to keep in mind with regard to VA vs Private TRT: the VA doesn't keep you in the ideal 800-1100 range, rather they believe between 350-750 is ideal. Additionally, for now, no HcG or an AI. I'll keep you updated on any progress around that and how I did it.

225, 6', 33, 15% bf, bench 320, squat 405, dead 465.

Thread Information