USMCSS is offline Associate Member

THIS Is Yet Another Reason Why I Hate The VA!

So I started TRT last year when my T levels were at 287. As many of you have read in more recent threads the VA took me of TRT for 3 months because my RBC's were BARELY high but that's because I was living at an elevation of 7000 ft at the time. At the end of the 3 months labs were ran again at my test was at 212 and FSH and LH were still low but slightly improved and I was feeling like complete crap. I had a follow up with my endo and they very stubbornly agreed to continue my TRT. However, I plead my case of wanting to start HCG because of multiple reason but particularly to have a kid but not in the immediate future as well as testicular pain. I was informed that the VA doesn't prescribe HCG so I requested to be seen by an outside endo. When my PCP contacted the endo, below is her reply. I see my PCP this week, what should I say to him to maybe get this decision reversed? How the hell is it not confirmed that I have low T when my labs ar in the 200's? The deal with the clomid is she stated it's being done as "research" and I told her I don't want any part of "research" the VA is doing.

"Fee based for HCG is declined. HCG is only used for fertility therapy which the
    VA does not offer in men. In addition, i advised the patient many times that
    testosterone therapy will impair fertility and decrease spermatogenesis. I
    recommend against testosterone if fertility desired and HE DECLINED. I
    recommended consideration of clomid as off label use for hypogonadism and at the
    same time preserve fertility but he DECLINED. I recommend a baseline semen
    analysis and HE DECLINED. Pt does not have confirmed hypogonadotropic
    hypogonadism and HCG is not indicated on a patient on testosterone therapy.

Anyone?

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't no what to tell u. I no that the VA is a pain in the a**. My friend get seizures all the time. They wouldn't do anything for him and had to go through another health care some how. As far as your issue. I have no clue sorry

R8junkie is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS
    So I started TRT last year when my T levels were at 287. As many of you have read in more recent threads the VA took me of TRT for 3 months because my RBC's were BARELY high but that's because I was living at an elevation of 7000 ft at the time. At the end of the 3 months labs were ran again at my test was at 212 and FSH and LH were still low but slightly improved and I was feeling like complete crap. I had a follow up with my endo and they very stubbornly agreed to continue my TRT. However, I plead my case of wanting to start HCG because of multiple reason but particularly to have a kid but not in the immediate future as well as testicular pain. I was informed that the VA doesn't prescribe HCG so I requested to be seen by an outside endo. When my PCP contacted the endo, below is her reply. I see my PCP this week, what should I say to him to maybe get this decision reversed? How the hell is it not confirmed that I have low T when my labs ar in the 200's? The deal with the clomid is she stated it's being done as "research" and I told her I don't want any part of "research" the VA is doing. "Fee based for HCG is declined. HCG is only used for fertility therapy which the VA does not offer in men. In addition, i advised the patient many times that testosterone therapy will impair fertility and decrease spermatogenesis. I recommend against testosterone if fertility desired and HE DECLINED. I recommended consideration of clomid as off label use for hypogonadism and at the same time preserve fertility but he DECLINED. I recommend a baseline semen analysis and HE DECLINED. Pt does not have confirmed hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and HCG is not indicated on a patient on testosterone therapy.
    Sorry to hear about your struggle at the VA. It's sad that our military personnel aren't given better medical care. I hope that gets fixed in the future.

That being said, if you're not getting the medication you're after, have you considered looking into a UGL for your test and HCG ? This route has risks involved and you'll want to really do your homework before making a decision.
    It will be cheaper in the long run but you'll need to be diligent in doing your own lab work on a consistent basis to monitor your levels.

The only other option I can think of is going through a private pay medical insurance plan and finding a new doctor. This is obviously the more legitimate route but it will most likely cost a lot more. Good luck to you.

Well I for the most part get all the care I need at the VA as I've learned the system VERY well and all the tricks to getting what I want minus the proper TRT care. I'll be talking this over with my primary care doc this Friday and if they're still going to deny my, I already have my outside "source" for the HCG . I was just hoping I wouldn't have to go that route. HCG is cheap as hell anyways but it's the principle if that makes sense. I can still get my labs done on a regular basis and even have them scheduled for 6 weeks out from my beginning date of being back on TRT.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    So it sounds like you are just going to have to source your own HCG and self medicate using it. Seems as if you will still be able to get all your other things such as meds and blood work etc done through them so even though it sucks it better than what a lot of people can get. Such a struggle to even get on a trt protocol much less a proper supervised trt protocol.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up! BUT, I'd still like to bring a valid argument to my PCP Friday

Bump for XXXX to read

Thread Information