Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gallowmere
  • 1 Post By pyramid
  • 1 Post By C27H40O3

Thread: Hemoglobin too high to donate.

pyramid is offline Junior Member

Hemoglobin too high to donate.

Hey guys, I screwed up and waited too long to donate blood and now my hemoglobin is 20.4 in the blood center will not take any level above 20. Is there anyway I can lower my hemoglobin enough so that I can donate or am I screwed? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
    Hey guys, I screwed up and waited too long to donate blood and now my hemoglobin is 20.4 in the blood center will not take any level above 20. Is there anyway I can lower my hemoglobin enough so that I can donate or am I screwed? Any help is appreciated thanks.
    Talk to a phlebotomist and see if you can have a phlebotomy done. They just throw the blood away so don’t give a shit what’s in it.
    almostgone and Obs like this.

Looks like I am only deferred 24 hours, Anything I can do to lower my hemoglobin .4 points by tomorrow?

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Looks like I am only deferred 24 hours, Anything I can do to lower my hemoglobin .4 points by tomorrow?
    I have found that there can be as much as a 1 point difference between when I am dehydrated and when I am fully hydrated. One example from about 2 years ago, I had a hemoglobin level of 18 as measured by my primary doc. But those labs also included a lipid panel which required that it be after an 8 hour fast. I scheduled the lab draw for 8 AM as soon as they opened and did not have much of a chance to consume water. Six days later, I donated blood and (as usual) I scheduled my appointment for the late afternoon and drank lots of fluids all day. Also, as usual, I consumed about a half liter or more of water with electrolytes in the hour just prior to the donation (it's a 45 minute drive to their center) and drank another of their free bottles of water in the waiting room. My hemoglobin was 16.8, a difference of 1.2 points from just 6 days earlier.
    Last edited by Youthful55guy; 12-15-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    That's high man.
    I looked all over for self phlebotomy kits.
    The ones I found ruore script but you can buy the parts individually such as butterfly needles and tubing.

Small needles plug.
    I advise getting the one suited to the task. 16 ga thin walled butterfly.

Update to high hemoglobin

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    That's high man.
    I looked all over for self phlebotomy kits.
    The ones I found ruore script but you can buy the parts individually such as butterfly needles and tubing.

Small needles plug.
    I advise getting the one suited to the task. 16 ga thin walled butterfly.
    So I call the blood center they tell me I have been deferred for 24 hours and can be retested tomorrow. I go back this morning I had been taking aspirin every 4 hours and made sure I was well hydrated. My hemoglobin was 19.9 just barely within their parameters. Then she says oh, we can’t take your blood you’ve been deferred. I said yes I know you deferred me yesterday because my hemoglobin was too high you said come back in 24hrs, here I am my level is within your parameters so what’s the problem? She says well I don’t have the authority to undefer you and it’s Sunday so we can’t draw your blood. Talk about wanting to kill a bitch. So now I have to take off work and try this again next week.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    So I call the blood center they tell me I have been deferred for 24 hours and can be retested tomorrow. I go back this morning I had been taking aspirin every 4 hours and made sure I was well hydrated. My hemoglobin was 19.9 just barely within their parameters. Then she says oh, we can’t take your blood you’ve been deferred. I said yes I know you deferred me yesterday because my hemoglobin was too high you said come back in 24hrs, here I am my level is within your parameters so what’s the problem? She says well I don’t have the authority to undefer you and it’s Sunday so we can’t draw your blood. Talk about wanting to kill a bitch. So now I have to take off work and try this again next week.
    Been in similar situations with redcross.
    Sorry man

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, they can be quite rigid in their interpretation of the rules. It's a 90 mile round trip for me and twice they turned me away when I followed the 8 week between donations waiting period. Apparently, there is also a maximum number of times they can draw blood within a rolling 12 month period. Made it impossible to figure out eligibility if you are a frequent donor (which they encourage). I gave them some very negative feedback on this subject in a couple of surveys and apparently they listened. Now our local blood bank has an on-line reservation system that doesn't let you make an appointment if you do not qualify for the waiting period (not sure about deferrals for other reasons).

Oh, and another thing, I've learned to give them as little information as they require. Don't chat or volunteer anything more. Once I had a lady that was ready to defer me for having a band aid on my little finger. She said it might be infected and you can't donate if you have an infection. Not sure of her IQ, but I insisted that it was not infected and eventually she gave in. My God, who hasn't had a minor infected cut on their finger? A little antibiotic ointment and your good to go. She just took the infection thing way too far.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Is there any self blood draw kits available inline? I looked on YouTube but only saw instructional videos for phlebotomists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemoglobin too high to donate.

I meant online. Damn spellcheck

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by C27H40O3 View Post
    Is there any self blood draw kits available inline? I looked on YouTube but only saw instructional videos for phlebotomists

I looked into it and all the kits were script only. But you can buy the butterfly 16 guage thin wall for blood draw and tube with leur lok then a bag.

I am pretty sure anyway. Its been a bit.

If I get this, what gets the blood to flow into the bag, considering the lack of vacuum that is otherwise present in vacu-trainer vials? I am not sure, but I believe that there is no vacuum present.

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/kaw...iABEgKxE_D_BwE

Obs likes this.

Obs
    If I get this, what gets the blood to flow into the bag, considering the lack of vacuum that is otherwise present in vacu-trainer vials? I am not sure, but I believe that there is no vacuum present.

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/kaw...iABEgKxE_D_BwE

Gravity. Thats why a large needle is necessary

Obs

A guy named "bass" later added second tube running to the container to suck on for lack of a better term.
    This sped the gravity process

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Gravity. Thats why a large needle is necessary
    So the bag gets hung lower than your arm?

An old geezer made a DIY system

Obs
    So the bag gets hung lower than your arm?
    Yes.

Thread Information