Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte
  • 1 Post By Oldhighlander

Thread: Shelf life after opening

Oldhighlander is offline Associate Member

Shelf life after opening

When I picked up a 2000mg/10ml vial of testosterone from the the pharmacy like I always get they had replaced it with 10 200mg/ml vials. I asked why and she said it was flagged in the system because the bigger vials expire in 28 days after opening and piercing with a needle. I looked it up online and found this quote from the cdc....."If a multi-dose has been opened or accessed (e.g., needle-punctured) the vial should be dated and discarded within 28 days unless the manufacturer specifies a different (shorter or longer) date for that opened vial." I've been on TRT for about 8 years now and I have never heard anything about this until now. And there was nothing in the package insert about this.Is it bullshit or is it a real concern?

I am using 75mg every 3.5 days. At that dose a 2000mg vial lasts just over 13 weeks. So according to the cdc I should discard 9 weeks of testosterone with each vial. Sounds fishy.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It's bullshit. Same as the expiration dates on oils.
    Quester likes this.

Thanks for the reply.Can you explain a little about "the oils"?
    Is the expiration thing a cover your ass thing? Is it just another way for big pharma to sell more drugs?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    A lot of pharmacies are pushing the 1ml vials. I think they are misinterpreting the regulation and stop reading at multi use vials w/o reading the rest of the reg.

Danged if I'm throwing a 1ml vial just because I pulled .3cc from it.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I believe Bonaparte is referring to the expiration date on oils.

Properly stored oils, and most meds for that matter will last a good bit longer that the manufacturer's expiration date.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with 10 ML vials.
    Quester likes this.

I asked my pharmacist to look into this and she called the manufacturer and they sent her a little blurb along with pics of all of there packaging and package inserts. The main message was ....

Hikmas's policy is that once a multiple dose vial is punctured it is only viable for 28 days. This is in line with our data and USP general chapter <797>.

So I looked up USP general chapter <797> and it led me to a couple of other places. Im no genius and my take away was it was for only compounding pharmacies and not for big pharma. Can anyone confirm my conclusion?

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    I can say that they bill the insurance companies or the patient directly much more for ten 1ml vials vs. one 10ml vial.

Here is the discount price with my Rx discount app. For one 10ml vial:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here is a price for one 1ml vial:

Now times this by ten for an equivalent supply.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Testosterone Cypionate has been around for many decades. A script would get you 200mg/mL in 10mL vial up until just recently. The CDC, FDA and all other agencies were still doing their job back then SO, WHAT CHANGED? If they changes the ingredients they'd have had to begin the entire medication approval process over again. SO, BIG PHARMA GOT GREEDY AND THE GOVT, GOT COMPLICIT. I always get the 10mL vials, I call and make sure the pharmacy has it, sometimes they fuck me and I get real with phamacist, then I transfer to another. Walgreens always fucks me and gives me the littles for 3 x the cost, CVS only carries the littles too but they don't try to surprise me. I actually get so upset that when I go pick it up I eat a bunch of garlicy, oniony stuff just so that when I lean in to the pharmacist, it makes him that much more annoyed. Never go to Walgreens.
    -Walmart is hit and miss.
    -You gotta check the bag before you leave to make sure you got the 10mL and check the expiration date. The expiration date really isn't that important but, I still check because I get real contentious with them about the issue.
    -I see absolutely no issue with utilizing the same vial, once opened, until it is empty (I'm not putting an end date on it-20-30 weeks, whatever). Just practice good hygiene.
    Save your money for things that matter or use it to err on the side of caution with concerns of greater legitimacy.

I suspected and agree it's a money grab. My CVS will still get me the 10ml if I press them for it. But they have to order it. Which I'm ok with.

Quester interesting point about the ingredients change.

I hate the medical/drug/insurance industry. As far as I'm concerned it's a criminal enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhighlander View Post
    I suspected and agree it's a money grab. My CVS will still get me the 10ml if I press them for it. But they have to order it. Which I'm ok with.

Quester interesting point about the ingredients change.

I hate the medical/drug/insurance industry. As far as I'm concerned it's a criminal enterprise.
    Indeed. That’s why we need a government takeover. Eliminate the profit motive.

Which costs more, admission to a national park, or Disney world?

Thread Information