zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation

'Lil help on recent blood work (Liver values)

Thougt I would start a new thread on my bloodwork in case it drew more attention.

I hadn't noticed b4 cuz i was so syked about the other scores, I forgot to look at the hepatic function panel.

Out of 7 different hepatic function tests all were in range except:

total Bilirubin was 2.1 (high out of range of 0.1-1.2)

direct Bilirubin was .40 (at the very top of range of 0.0-0.40)

Did a quick search an found that excessive exercise will increase this protein but didn't find how much is to be of concern.

I'll call the doc in the morn but wanted some of my AR "docs" to chime in if you could.

thanks in advance

ufa, spyke, heat, vermin, kale, mobligator...anybody....is this bad news? or nuttin to worry about?

Spyke is offline Associate Member
    I really dont know. I did some searching and found this:

What does the test result mean?
    NOTE: A standard reference range is not available for this test. Because reference values are dependent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Your lab report should include the specific reference range for your test. Lab Tests Online strongly recommends that you discuss your test results with your doctor. For more information on reference ranges, please read Reference Ranges and What They Mean.

Newborns: Excessive bilirubin kills developing brain cells in infants and may cause mental retardation, physical abnormalities, or blindness. It is important that bilirubin in newborns does not get too high. When the level of bilirubin is above a critical threshold, special treatments are initiated to lower it. An excessive bilirubin level may result from the breakdown of red blood cells (RBCs) due to Rh blood typing incompatibility. (Mother is Rh negative [Rh-], father is Rh positive [Rh+], and fetus is Rh+; mother develops antibodies against the newborn’s RBCs, which are destroyed.)

Adults and children: Bilirubin levels can be used to identify liver damage/disease or to monitor the progression of jaundice. If conjugated bilirubin is elevated, there may be some kind of blockage of the liver or bile duct, hepatitis, trauma to the liver, a drug reaction, or long-term alcohol abuse. Inherited disorders caused by abnormal bilirubin metabolism (Gilbert’s, Rotor’s, Dubin-Johnson, Crigler-Najjar syndromes) may also cause increased levels.

[Back to top]

Is there anything else I should know?
    Although bilirubin may be toxic to brain development in newborns (up to the age of about 2–4 weeks), high bilirubin in older children and adults does not pose the same threat. In older children and adults, the “blood-brain barrier” is more developed and prevents bilirubin from crossing this barrier to the brain cells. Elevated bilirubin levels in children or adults, however, strongly suggest a medical condition that must be evaluated and treated.

Bilirubin levels tend to be slightly higher in males than females, while African Americans show lower values. Strenuous exercise may also increase bilirubin levels.

thanks spyke...similar to what i just read, too...still keeps me wondering...i'll call the doc tommorrow and post what he says....are you having any probs getting subscribed thread emails or do you do that anyway?

anybody else with knowledge of the ole liver?

thanks again

Spyke is offline Associate Member
    i have no idea what subscribed thread emails are......

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke
    i have no idea what subscribed thread emails are......
    if you are watching a thread, you can set it up to get an email that someone has made a new post to that thread

i've had that set up since i was about 1 month old to AR and about a week ago...the function stopped working...one other guy has the same prob and we both have threads asking about it but noone else has a clue either...

oh well

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    edit
    Last edited by Ufa; 12-07-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ufa
    Did you google it? All my bloodwork says is total BILL .01 to1.0.
    Your Doctor is supposed to tell you what is going on. Do you take
    pleanty of vitimans? Sorry, I can't be of more help. I would call
    my Doc and express your concerns and request a call back. After
    all he should be the one to tell you. Finally, if it was important
    I'm sure he would not have brushed it off. I would still ask.
    thanks bud....fixin to call right now....i think we overlooked it in the office...i was so syked at all the other numbers and the fact that he was writing RX's for all my shiat without me even asking, I just wanted to bolt on out b4 the dream went away....i just noticed it the other day....been so busy...just had a chance to look it over again

thanks ufa...hope all is well

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    edit
    Last edited by Ufa; 12-23-2006 at 09:43 AM.

would be nice to have my own treadmill...i'd probably give that workout of yours a try...haven't had to do much cardio since working on the golf course...they got us walkmowing all the greens now...20 greens in all split 4 ways....each green takes about 30-40 minutes so that's 5 30-40 minute cardio sessions b4 lunch at 10:30 3-5 times a week....see why i don't need cardio at the gym anymore....LOL

called the doc and nurse took message about the billirubin....they'll get back soon i'm sure...man, ufa, you gotta find a doc like mine bro...that one of yours still bustin your chops?

got a call back by the nurse and the high bilirubin has given me a diagnosis of Gilbert's (syndrome)....nothing of concern those with it and life expectancy unchanged because of it....he said i probably have it just based on the one blood test but the internet says usually a couple high results confirm it....i'm thinking that he's seen that this is the case on one reading b4....well, no worries....back to jabbing without blinkin an eye

Thread Information