Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DiaMan is offline New Member

About insulin, from a personal point of view

Hello all...

Since I'm a type1 diabetic I thought I might ramble abit about what I know and have experienced. This meaning
    insulin have been a part of my everyday life now and have been for the past 6months. (I'm 27yrs)

I'd like to get in touch with other diabetics that have some experience to share also regarding whatever,
    feel free to pm :-) Looking to get more educated on the subject as it will always be apart of me. Hope this might
    be a thread that could attract attention from others in the same situation espessialy.

Like others have said before me it's something you really do not wanna screw around with.
    Healthy people with normal functioning insulin responsivnes shouldn't risk taking it for too long, before taking
    a break.This is something you don't wanna be stuck with for the rest of your life Read up on the recommended protocols on the site.

Now you won't just slip into a coma and die just like that under normal circumstances if you happend to take too much.
    But yes it can indeed go very wrong under the *right circumstances*.

You would wanna avoid using it in the following scenarios:

# You plan on going and get influenced by alcohol\drugs in general the same day
    # Feeling sick in your stomach, like feeling the need to puke.
    # Feeling sick like having flu like symtoms

By mixing insulin and alcohol your body won't be giving you the right symtoms when your blodsugar starts to decline
    below normal values, so what could happen here is that you could fall asleep at some party drunk and slip into coma
    right away. A normal respons (without alcohol) would be that you wake up automatically feeling abit *wierd* and
    sweaty...just have some energy tabs ready within range and lay down, it takes a few min and you'll be fine again.

Skip the insulin all together if you feel like puking or have felt like it recently. Can't risk puking up your
    planned meal after a fast acting insulin shot. There would obviously be no easy way to fuel your body with carbs
    anytime soon then.

Having the flu or a cold for that matter ...in this kind of situation your body is naturally producing tons of
    stress hormons that affect the blodsugar by alot, which again will provoke a higher insulin respons...so put the
    insulin on-hold.

So on to ramble about a few things worth knowing and thinking over before taking insulin into the equation in your
    everyday life. At least its what keeps me outta trouble for most of the time. How the hormone insulin actually
    works and in what way its anabolic can be looked up in the profile section of the site.

Normal blod-sugar should be 4 - 8 mmol/L. Depending on how long it's been since you've eating and what.
    Plz go and see a doc asap if it reads something like 8-10mmol/L or above in the morning.
    For bodybuilding purposes fast acting insulin should be used. Fast acting is shot sub-Q in the belly fat-tissue
    whereas the slow-acting ones are shot sub-Q in the thigh.

Now it typically takes a few minutes for the fast acting to start working, so make sure you've got the meal
    already prepared infront of you with a resonable amount of carbs. Be sure to switch off your cellphone or anything
    else that might be distracting. Can't afford doing a shot then talking 20min in the phone before eating.
    Start with 4IU's, monitor your blodsugar frequently.

Say you have a diet layed out that consists of 6-7 meals a day. Start by taking some insulin to the first 4 meals,
    and make sure it's been at least 4 hours since your last shot before going to bed. Always check your values in
    the morning, pre-workout and before bed-time when using this. Pre-workout because physical training lowers the
    need for insulin, so I'd suggest to not actually take insulin shots closely to your scheduled workout routine.
    Further on you will wanna wake yourself up to do tests just to make sure the first week. It takes some work and
    preparation, you have to establish a baseline. Before you even start insulin you should do some tests for
    at least a week, see how the diffrent things you eat effect your blodsuagar values.

It just takes some time getting used to. You have to understand whats going on with your body and what to do
    if you take too much of it. Always make sure you have fast-acting carbs in places you spend alot of time at.
    Like in your car, apartment, @ work and definatly where you spend the night. Always have have your
    blodsugar monitor within range, so that you can quickly do a test to see where you're at. It's importante to find
    out exacly what your values are when you start feeling the first symptoms of low sugar levels. As this can vary
    abit from person to person.

If you happen to take too much, you will start feeling the following symptoms:

# Dizziness, shakiness, weakness
    # Fast heart beat
    # Faintness, chills, sweatiness
    # Confusion or irritability

These symptoms gets worse by the minute, so be careful. Say you're driving a car, you would have about 5-10 minutes
    from the first symtoms to occur until you really have to stop and get those carbs in.

On to some of my own exerpeinces with insulin and a Test-E based cycle following, as the profile on the site states:
    "Insulin is one of the most powerful anabolic agents in the world. Used properly, it can add weight to you more
    quickly than any other compound at our disposal."

And indeed it is, as for me ...I had prior to getting sick been regulary exercising for years, (doing resistance
    training) Worked my way up to the stats of 6'2 tall, 195lbs with an healthy bf%. Nothing spectacular I know but
    my plan was to get up to like 200+ lbs before doing a classic testE based cycle. Anyway I suddently got very sick,
    so over a 4week period I lost lots of weight, at the time I got to the hospital I was down @ 175lbs. Most of my
    muscle tissue were gone. I was sure it would take years to recover from that blow...to my suprise it didn't. With
    proper diet and insulin medication I got back up at 195lbs just 8weeks later. After learning to deal my diabetic
    condition I started a TestE cycle - 2x250mgs a\week, frontloaded with T-bol for the first 3.5weeks. Right now I'm
    in week8 and pushing 220lbs. Not holding too much water I think, running 0.25 adex and 1mg finsteride daily also.
    Strength is thru the roof, some strength stats right now.

Bench: 280 x 10 - 4sets
    Squat: 325 x 10 - 4sets
    Deadlift: 310 x 10 - 4sets

...and these feels light atm!

Best before cycle approx:

Bench: 220 x 10 - 4sets
    Squat: 250 x 8 - 4sets
    Deadlift: 250 x 8 - 4sets

....anyhow, guess my point in the end here is directed to other ppl in the same situation like me.
    Don't let your diabetic stop you from trying to achive your goals. Whatever they are...it can be done.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Good job man, looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Good job man, looks good.
    Nice first post, thats a major compliment coming from this guy.
    Almost as good as hearing it from Gear himself. lol
    Nice to have you here
    Last edited by IntenseAthlete; 12-04-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycerious View Post
    Nice to have you here
    I just meant on his weight training. I just glanced at all the insulin stuff.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Nice to have you here

-Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Gear View Post

-Gear
    Hey, the post has some usefull info even if its not completely correct.
    Thats why your here to raggle fools like us thanks for your info Gear

Hey, the post has some usefull info even if its not completely correct.
    Thats why your here to raggle fools like us thanks for your info Gear
    You the man Jonny

-Gear

Quote Originally Posted by DiaMan View Post
    Fast acting is shot sub-Q in the belly fat-tissue
    whereas the slow-acting ones are shot sub-Q in the thigh.
    No need to shoot insulin anywhere else than around the belly button area. Injecting around thigh area will slow down the process, but wether you are using a long acting or fast acting insulin, they will still operate as they are supposed to when injected around the belly area.

Say you have a diet layed out that consists of 6-7 meals a day. Start by taking some insulin to the first 4 meals
    There is no need to take insulin anymore than once per day PWO.

"Insulin is one of the most powerful anabolic agents in the world. Used properly, it can add weight to you more
    quickly than any other compound at our disposal."
    You won't gain any weight when using insulin. Feel lucky if you gain a few LB but that's it. Insulin has the potential for weight gain but the process is very very slow. Insulin is certainly the last drug one would want to use if they wanted to gain weight.

Used properly, it can add weight to you more
    quickly than any other compound
    100% false information.

I got back up at 195lbs just 8weeks later.
    You're the first I've come across who has gained that much weight from insulin. You will find that it probably wan't insulin to be responcible for the weight gain.

If you are a diabetic, I really wouldn't be taking insulin for sport enhancing purposes because you don't need further issues with your pancreas, and for that reason my advice for users who are diabetic is to leave insulin absent. The benefits are not great anyway.

-Gear

Blog Entries

If you are a diabetic, I really wouldn't be taking insulin for sport enhancing purposes because you don't need further issues with your pancreas, and for that reason my advice for users who are diabetic is to leave insulin absent. The benefits are not great anyway.

-Gear
    I am confused by what you mean about further pancreas issues.?

If he is already diagnosed then he has little or no beta cell activity in the pancreas anyway. So why would using more insulin cause further damage. Type one is a autoimmune disorder anyway, caused by t-cell mediated immune response. I can understand if he had type II, or maybe I am missing something?

I agree that using insulin for sports enhancement purposes is a bad Idea BTW.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 12-04-2007 at 01:16 AM.

MuscleScience,

I was just reading another thread about a user who has type II diabetes. My bad, I must have had type II on my mind, but even having to know that he is type 1, I would still probably only take prescribed amounts. It would be pretty hard to take that extra amount of insulin on top of the required amount. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a hassle.

Thanks Muscle.

-Gear

Blog Entries
    MuscleScience,

I was just reading another thread about a user who has type II diabetes. My bad, I must have had type II on my mind, but even having to know that he is type 1, I would still probably only take prescribed amounts. It would be pretty hard to take that extra amount of insulin on top of the required amount. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a hassle.

Thanks Muscle.

-Gear
    LOL, no problem man I actually thought after I posted that I read that he had type II. The forum starts looking fuzzy late at night.

DiaMan is offline New Member
    No need to shoot insulin anywhere else than around the belly button area. Injecting around thigh area will slow down the process, but wether you are using a long acting or fast acting insulin, they will still operate as they are supposed to when injected around the belly area.
    Shooting long-acting anywhere else than in your thighs would make the release times far less predictable over a 24h period, which then would take away most of it's point. So no, long acting will not operate as supposed to when injected around belly area.

I assume you mean post workout here, anyway imo it depends on when in the
    day you do your workout. If it's early on then I think it's worth taking it to the 2nd and 3rd meal after workout also. As long as they're not too many hours apart.

You won't gain any weight when using insulin. Feel lucky if you gain a few LB but that's it. Insulin has the potential for weight gain but the process is very very slow. Insulin is certainly the last drug one would want to use if they wanted to gain weight.
    Without it you won't keep a single calorie which was my point. Some ppl have
    better insulin responsivness than others, which can be directly related to the cause of some having more trouble with their weight than others. This is something fat ppl should be check for, they could very well produce a far greater amount of insulin to every meal than normal. Combine this with their unhealthy diets and you got problems. It sounds logical to me that this can also explain why some feel the effect of insulin better than others when adding it into a cycle.

You're the first I've come across who has gained that much weight from insulin. You will find that it probably wan't insulin to be responcible for the weight gain.

Well like you already said in one of your later posts ...beeing a diabetic type1 makes it a little diffrent

My point there was to state an example of what role the hormone itself has. What happens when it all goes wrong, and yes in my case insulin was the sole reason as to why those 20lbs got on again. The next 20lbs I'm more than likely to blame the TestE

Towel is offline Associate Member
    hey gear. I always thought that taking some slin before breakfast would help me eatin some more food later after the breakfast. Since it increases metabolism right? I am having serious problems eating my second and third meal. Would some slin help?

Quote Originally Posted by Towel View Post
    hey gear. I always thought that taking some slin before breakfast would help me eatin some more food later after the breakfast. Since it increases metabolism right? I am having serious problems eating my second and third meal. Would some slin help?
    You can certainly have a dose before a meal, and you will feel a bit hungrier, but I wouldn't expect major weight gain from it.

I just don't like the sound of taking insulin with every meal ED, sounds a bit crazy considering you're not diabetic.

-Gear

spoke to soon, either way welcome

Just trying to learn.We all know who is the man on this forum.Gear is your knowledge of AS as extensive as your hgh/slin and Igf?Sorry to high jack, but I think we all would like to know.

llrockyll is offline Member
    nutrients make ur muscles grow and insulin delivers nutrients to ur muscles at a greater rate and more of. insulin will put on muscle

Quote Originally Posted by llrockyll View Post
    nutrients make ur muscles grow and insulin delivers nutrients to ur muscles at a greater rate and more of. insulin will put on muscle
    Insulin will help shuttle nutrients into cells, but the gains from those shuttled nutrients aren't noticable. It would seriously take a long time to see serious gains from insulin only. Insulin is nothing like test for example.

-Gear

llrockyll is offline Member
    Insulin will help shuttle nutrients into cells, but the gains from those shuttled nutrients aren't noticable. It would seriously take a long time to see serious gains from insulin only. Insulin is nothing like test for example.

-Gear

true but ur also saving muscle at the same time and for the price u cant beat it! still ONLY for EXPERIENCED users.

Administration of insulin around belly area applies for all types of insulin, long and short acting. You can certainly inject around the thigh area but it's not necessary.

-Gear

Thread Information