oc pitbull is offline Member

drug dogs smell hgh?

is it so?

thefunkybuddha is offline Associate Member
    I'm sure it's possible to train a dog to detect it. But I can't imagine it's that much of an issue that they would waste the time and resources to train a dog for this purpose.

Silver-Bolt is offline Associate Member
    It's in a vacuum, it cannot ommit any odor. It will however show up in an X-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
    It's in a vacuum, it cannot ommit any odor. It will however show up in an X-ray.
    It is true that it is in a vacuum or at least a sealed container. However, during the filling process im sure the outside of the vials can pick up some of the hgh 'scent'. Since a dog's sense of smell can detect compounds in the ppb (parts per billion) I think its a reasonable assumption that a dog trained to detect hgh may be able to pick up the scent left over from the filling process. So technically it is possible. That being said I think its very unlikely that a dog would ever be trained for that.

ya i think so too thanks guys

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thefunkybuddha
    It is true that it is in a vacuum or at least a sealed container. However, during the filling process im sure the outside of the vials can pick up some of the hgh 'scent'. Since a dog's sense of smell can detect compounds in the ppb (parts per billion) I think its a reasonable assumption that a dog trained to detect hgh may be able to pick up the scent left over from the filling process. So technically it is possible. That being said I think its very unlikely that a dog would ever be trained for that.
    Just for the sake of not spreading misinformation, both of these posts are misguided. Dogs smell in a completely different way.... This vid goes in depth: Never Get Busted

But no, drug dogs do not smell hgh oc

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette View Post
    Just for the sake of not spreading misinformation, both of these posts are misguided. Dogs smell in a completely different way...and drug dogs are trained accordingly. This vid goes in depth: Never Get Busted

your the man

Just for the sake of not spreading misinformation, both of these posts are misguided. Dogs smell in a completely different way...and drug dogs are trained accordingly. This vid goes in depth: Never Get Busted

dogs smell in a completely different way than what? Are you saying the ability for a dog to detect a substance has nothing to do with the concentration of that substance? I believe it's directly related. You can teach a dog to smell for almost anything. I think what you are trying to say is that there is a definition of what a 'drug dog' is and it's scope of drugs it can detect are clearly defined and don't include hgh. I agree with that. My point was that just because a vial is sealed or airtight doesn't mean there isn't trace residue on the outside of the vials. I simply said in theory it is possible if the dog was able to be trained to smell for that. Say for example there was heroin in those vials, I think dog could pick it up. Like I said though I think it's ridiculous that a dog would be trained for that purpose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thefunkybuddha View Post
    dogs smell in a completely different way than what? Are you saying the ability for a dog to detect a substance has nothing to do with the concentration of that substance? I believe it's directly related. You can teach a dog to smell for almost anything. I think what you are trying to say is that there is a definition of what a 'drug dog' is and it's scope of drugs it can detect are clearly defined and don't include hgh. I agree with that. My point was that just because a vial is sealed or airtight doesn't mean there isn't trace residue on the outside of the vials. I simply said in theory it is possible if the dog was able to be trained to smell for that. Say for example there was heroin in those vials, I think dog could pick it up. Like I said though I think it's ridiculous that a dog would be trained for that purpose.
    If you learn the reason why a drug dog can find enclosed marijuana inside of a automobile gas tank, you will understand the concept. Your residue theory does not hold. Sorry for not being an expert myself...wish I could clarify further

If you learn the reason why a drug dog can find enclosed marijuana inside of a automobile gas tank, you will understand the concept. Your residue theory does not hold. Sorry for not being an expert myself...wish I could clarify further
    gasoline is very volatile meaning it tends to vaporize rather easily. And other substances that may be in the gas can also vaporize as a result of the gasoline having a 'carrying away' effect. I'm not sure what you have read about how dogs don't smell a certain way but the simple fact is that smell is based on a molecule of substance A, say thc is in vapor form, enters the nose and binds to a smell receptor. Dogs have orders of magnitude more receptors than humans. So they will detect substances before humans could ever. Bottom line is if the molecules aren't there...nothing will smell it. Now to say something is air tight doesn't mean nothing can be exchanged through the boundry. Molecules with a MW of air and larger can't pass but smaller molecules may be able to. However, THC, hgh are all much larger than air. And residue of a substance contains molecules of that substance. So to sum up: molecules present=possible to detect by smell. No molecules present=impossible to detect by smell. Unless of course you are implying dogs are psychic then none of this applies to you.
    Last edited by thefunkybuddha; 11-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wish I wasnt under the weather or I would try and elaborate on permeation

Wish I wasnt under the weather or I would try and elaborate on permeation
    haha. Raoults law? Henrys law? Boundry layer theory? Bring it! Sorry if I sounded harsh....I'm a ChE and so is my gf. So that's kind of a glimpse of two chemical engineers fighting. Imagine our dinner conversation? LOL Feel better man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thefunkybuddha View Post
    haha. Raoults law? Henrys law? Boundry layer theory? Bring it! Sorry if I sounded harsh....I'm a ChE and so is my gf. So that's kind of a glimpse of two chemical engineers fighting. Imagine our dinner conversation? LOL Feel better man.
    Mutual buddy, didnt mean too sound like a douche either

Tried to find a specific clip on youtube that would go into detail but couldnt dig one up right away. Will try again later

Thread Information