Pumped109 is offline Associate Member

Ketosis Test Question

So I pissed on one of those Keto-Stix strips to check my levels after being on a very strict NO carb diet for over a week and the test strip was very dark purple indicating that I was in fact in Ketosis with very high levels of Ketones. So I check it again today and the strip is a very much lighter shade of purple indicating that I only have a moderate amount of Ketones in my system. How is that when I have had NO carbs since the first time I tested 2 days ago? Do the levels go up and down even on a NO carb diet?

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    Anyone??

thefunkybuddha is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumped109 View Post
    So I pissed on one of those Keto-Stix strips to check my levels after being on a very strict NO carb diet for over a week and the test strip was very dark purple indicating that I was in fact in Ketosis with very high levels of Ketones. So I check it again today and the strip is a very much lighter shade of purple indicating that I only have a moderate amount of Ketones in my system. How is that when I have had NO carbs since the first time I tested 2 days ago? Do the levels go up and down even on a NO carb diet?
    What time of day did you test your ketones? If you test shortly after a workout...your body is going to have a greater amount of ketones present indicating that your body is burning fat as its primary fuel source...So obviously if you measure them after a workout versus testing them during a period of inactivity you will see a difference.

Another variable you have to consider is concentration. What I mean by that is that the stick itself measures concentration differences...the darker it is...the higher the concentration present in your urine. If you are dehydrated expect to see a darker color...if you are well hydrated except to see a lighter color. The important thing is that ketones are present indicating that you are in ketosis.

Does that answer your question?

Thread Information