kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member

had my first crash on the insulin tonight

I've been taking dextrose pwo about 80-90 grams of it, and doing fine, and then people have been telling me to try to mix in complex carbs with my dextrose instead of all dextrose. Well, I tried that tonight. I took 40 grams of dextrose and 40 grams of carbs from waxymaize, along with 50 grams of whey protein. I got up 45 minutes after i consumed the shake to go warm up my prepared meal, and i felt jittery, light-headed, and was stuttering when talking. I could feel the crash coming on. I chugged some grape juice and ate a granola bar, and felt better in a few minutes, and then ate my meal of whole wheat pasta with egg whites. I don't know what happened. I took 10 iu of insulin , and this wasn't my first time, and then chugged the carbs 5 minutes after injection, and then chugged the protein after that. Do yall think this was because i used waxymaize instead of dextrose?

kmms is offline Productive Member
    Any carbs in your whey protein?

Otherwise you've got 40+40=80

10 iu insulin should require somewhere around 100 carbs depending upon the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by kmms View Post
    Any carbs in your whey protein?

Otherwise you've got 40+40=80

10 iu insulin should require somewhere around 100 carbs depending upon the individual.
    the stricky written by the VET, Redbaron, said 7 grams of carbs per IU. Maybe he was wrong. and there are no carbs in the protein. it's zero carb isopure powder form.

kmms is offline Productive Member
    7 may work for some, apparently 8 weren't enough for you this time. I certainly don't think there is a problem with reducing dextrose in favor of other fast and slow carbs. I only ever use 7 units at a time and have never used dextrose or waxy maize. My oatmeal with dried fruits and a spoon of honey is adequate.

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    you cannot use waixy maize with slin. The whole benefit of waixy maize is that it clears the gastric system so quickly it has minimal impact on blood sugar. The opposite of what you need carbs to do while pinning slin. This is a pretty foolish mistake to make- it could have been costly. Drop your dextrose to 60g and add 20-30g of oats. See how you make out.
    Oh - what was your blood sugar? You are using a meter right?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapabuff View Post
    you cannot use waixy maize with slin. The whole benefit of waixy maize is that it clears the gastric system so quickly it has minimal impact on blood sugar. The opposite of what you need carbs to do while pinning slin. This is a pretty foolish mistake to make- it could have been costly. Drop your dextrose to 60g and add 20-30g of oats. See how you make out.
    Great post and I second the notion of 50-60g dextrose plus 20-30g oats. OP, why you using 10iu slin? Didn't you just start using slin?

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Great post and I second the notion of 50-60g dextrose plus 20-30g oats. OP, why you using 10iu slin? Didn't you just start using slin?
    about two weeks ago, yeah. i started at 5, and felt fine. then went to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, (felt fine the whole way until last night) and i'm stopping at 10. was this too fast of a ramp?

canesfan804 is offline Member
    And this is the reason I will prob never pin slin! One mistake could be the end. Sounds like you may want to scale back some or stop altogether.

alexISthrowed is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just keep carbs close by at all times. I've gone hypo a few times experimenting with different things and higher doses. I'm glad I went hypo so I know the feeling. I always have carbs with me at all times when slins active. Do you pin im or sub q? I remember reading that pinning im can be very unpredictable due to metabolites in the muscles effecting the insulin .

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    about two weeks ago, yeah. i started at 5, and felt fine. then went to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, (felt fine the whole way until last night) and i'm stopping at 10. was this too fast of a ramp?
    Well I'm glad you started low and ramped up. I personally don't go over 8iu as I feel anything higher will prob pack on fat as you have to eat to many carbs. I'd step it down some and maybe find your sweet spot. Way to be prepared and have glucose on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by alexISthrowed View Post
    Just keep carbs close by at all times. I've gone hypo a few times experimenting with different things and higher doses. I'm glad I went hypo so I know the feeling. I always have carbs with me at all times when slins active. Do you pin im or sub q? I remember reading that pinning im can be very unpredictable due to metabolites in the muscles effecting the insulin.
    Yes always have some form of glucose on hand when the slin is active. That's a good question about IM or sub q as it def. makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by alexISthrowed View Post
    Just keep carbs close by at all times. I've gone hypo a few times experimenting with different things and higher doses. I'm glad I went hypo so I know the feeling. I always have carbs with me at all times when slins active. Do you pin im or sub q? I remember reading that pinning im can be very unpredictable due to metabolites in the muscles effecting the insulin.
    definitely pinning subq. thanks!

HeySkippy....why you ignoring this?

HeySkippy....why you ignoring this?
    oh my bad. no, i'm not using a meter.

bigpapabuff made a good point as far as waixy maize supposedly doesn't impact blood sugar so sounds like this is a poor carb choice to use w/ slin. I've personally never taken waixy maize.

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Last edited by calstate23; 12-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    bigpapabuff made a good point as far as waixy maize supposedly doesn't impact blood sugar so sounds like this is a poor carb choice to use w/ slin. I've personally never taken waixy maize.
    2 Big mistakes there skippy. The WMS inst suitable carb source. The BGM isnt optional. Especially when you are just dialing in at the start of your insulin use.
    Why not do this right and show newbs interested in slin use the right way to do it. Right now its a "what not to do when starting slin"thread.

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Last edited by calstate23; 12-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

I dont understand why anyone would do that. Meters are cheap enough
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    I dont understand why anyone would do that. Meters are cheap enough
    Yep bought my sidekick for $20 at Walmart and it came w/ 50 testing strips! I always recommend anyone interested in using slin buy a meter 1st and check your fasted bg levels every morn for 2 weeks prior to starting the slin. Average these numbers and that will give your baseline BG level. I then tell insulin users to test this fasted bg level periodically while using slin to make sure this number doesn't increase significantly as a significant increase would mostly likely mean your body is becoming insulin resistant in which you should stop your slin usage until your fast bg levels are lowered again. For reference a healthy fasted bg level is around 80-100 mg/dL and over 100 mg/DL insulin resistance is present and diabetes can be a possibility.

Thread Information